Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
leaving-blues

Question Are guys adverse to forming a band with a female singer?

I'm a girl, a guitarist (obviously), singer and pianist, and for some reason I feel like I'm expected to be a quiet little acoustic artist. Don't get me wrong, I love acoustic concerts, they're very beautiful, but my thing is big, loud rock concerts. I've never been in a band but I go to a lot of gigs and I just like to lose it, you know? I like being in the center of a damn mosh pit. So I feel like, in my musicianship endeavors, I want to inspire moshpits with the music I make. I'd really love to be in a band, but it's a male dominated genre. I love Interpol, The Strokes, The Hives, Sonic Youth, The Cribs, etcetera, but I feel like other musicians inspired by this type of music would be adverse to forming a band with a female front woman because it's so male dominated.

Last edited by leaving-blues : 09-01-2012 at 10:07 AM.
leaving-blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

I don't think most other people think like that... I've seen lots of rock bands with girls in them. I've even been in one.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
kaos572
MetalliShredder

I think as long as your good at what you do and are determined to do it, you can get a band together no matter the genre. If anything its a plus because you dont see a female in a rock or metal band every day.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Lptubeking
Ug's Interpol Fan

rockband with girls in them are pretty sweet, you should go for
it
Now I won't let you sit by
But so call in the kids
Now that's enough with this f*cking incense
----------------------------------------------
Interpol - Mammoth
Lptubeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Guitarist986

All you have to do is keep trying, eventually you'll find people that you mesh well with and you'll form a band that way. The world needs more female lead singers, Paramore, Metric, Florence and the Machine, The Letter Black all good examples of how awesome a band with a female lead can be
Guitarist986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaving-blues
Ahhhh I've never posted here before, treat me nice like.
I want nothing more than to be in a band. I'm a girl, a guitarist (obviously), singer and pianist, and for some reason I feel like I'm expected to be a quiet little acoustic artist. Don't get me wrong, I love acoustic concerts, they're very beautiful, but my thing is big, loud rock concerts. I've never been in a band but I go to a lot of gigs and I just like to lose it, you know? I like being in the center of a damn mosh pit.

Have you ever heard of' "Flogging Molly"? (Although "Molly" doesn't actually front that band all the time). Joan Jett? Patti Smith?

Actually, modern country has some brash women in front also, especially Jennifer Nettles.

Female singers resonate with me more than the men. Except, when they launch into women's issues too heavily, that's when the channel gets changed. I'm talking about the kind of material that's gets pressed into service for charities.

But, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood, (who's pretty loud), are comical when they're dumping on their Exes

Last edited by Captaincranky : 08-31-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
toBetheVeryBest
like no one ever was!

Honestly I think it is a plus. Girls that can play guitar (especially well) are awesome. I wish girls I knew could play. They are too preppy I guess.
toBetheVeryBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
leaving-blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by toBetheVeryBest
Girls that can play guitar (especially well) are awesome. I wish girls I knew could play.

So many girls I know pretend to be able to play guitar. It's so sad. They take pictures of themselves holding crappy little Toys R Us kiddy guitars in an attempt to... I dunno, impress guys I presume? I don't even know. I don't personally know any other girls that actually play guitar.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
leaving-blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist986
The world needs more female lead singers, Paramore, Metric, Florence and the Machine, The Letter Black all good examples of how awesome a band with a female lead can be

I love Metric!
The thing with female fronted rock bands is that someone always feels the need to compare them to Paramore, or the singer is dubbed a 'wannabe Hayley Williams'. Paramore are pretty good, I just feel like I can't get into them for fear of looking like a wannabe or something stupid like that.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
toBetheVeryBest
like no one ever was!

Quote:
...impress guys I presume?

I imagine that is the reason.
toBetheVeryBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
strumandbang

Quote:
Originally Posted by toBetheVeryBest
Honestly I think it is a plus. Girls that can play guitar (especially well) are awesome. I wish girls I knew could play. They are too preppy I guess.
I think so too. Female-fronted bands get more attention. There are reasons why guys might be averse to it though: the chance the band hits it big and the girl is pressured to ditch the band and go solo, and girls having more relationship drama that takes away from the band. Not saying that applies to all or most women, but I've heard those issues raised.
strumandbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players

white ring and salem are pretty darn cool

points for grimes as well
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
HotspurJr

A friend of mine fronts (sings, plays the guitar, writes most of the music) for a hard-rock band that's having some decent success.

I don't think it's the "she's going to ditch us," thing, which is there no matter who your frontman is, but rather, it's twofold:

The personality of the front(wo)man usually becomes the personality of the band. A group of male musicians are likely to have a harder time accepting you as their face, just because of that greater difference in personalities that's likely to transpire. The fact that the woman isn't just one of the guys can emphasize the otherness, it can introduce sexual politics into the band, and it can create new opportunities for communication problems.

Female rock stars are held to higher standards of physical appearance. I think you have more leeway in hard rock contexts, but let's not pretend that isn't there.

All of that can be overcome. That being said, like with a guy, the most important thing, by far, is being good.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
:-D
hi

no

:-D out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #15
Spaztikko

Well, yes, but thats because unless you can do led-zep or higher register maiden/df stuff then I'm honestly not interested, and it just so happens that while most women can do it they lack the POWAH that comes from the male voices listed. But whatever, I've just been in HS bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
cheapr2keepr

My band is fronted by a girl. It brings its own unique set of challenges, but nothing we didn't overcome. I'll let you in on some of what we had to deal with...

Our singer loves rock. Yesterday she requested that the next song we cover should be "Love Bites" by Halestorm. But when she first started, she sang so soft and melodic - totally detrimental to our rock vibe. She eventually found her "rock voice", and now has some power moments that occasionally give me goosebumps.

Our singer is married, as is most of our band. However, mixing of the genders in the band occasionally makes some outside people think instantaneously that band practice is a giant gang bang.

Our singer is easy on the eyes, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's fairly commonplace in rock/metal to dismiss a female fronted band as a gimmick, or all about T&A instead of music. At the same time, her looks make up for the rest of the ugly dudes in the band!

One element about her that has helped is that she has no problem singing covers done from the male point of view, even when the song has a misogynist view. She doesn't try to tweak the lyrics. She knows who she is, and sings songs as originally written so that there is no awkwardness for the audience.

And lastly, band night before she joined was guys night. We drank, smoked, farted, and talked like sailors to our heart's content, and played music along the way. When she joined there was an adjustment period where we had to feel out her comfort level with all of that. Once she started warming up with a shot of Jameson whiskey and telling dirty jokes, everything fell right into place. But we are still careful of our boundaries, especially with obscene humor and jokes. We all like her, and don't want to make an uncomfortable environment where she feels like she has to act like some sort of raunchy slut to fit in.

Last edited by cheapr2keepr : 09-01-2012 at 04:58 AM.
cheapr2keepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
I'm a girl, a guitarist (obviously), singer and pianist, and for some reason I feel like I'm expected to be a quiet little acoustic artist.

The real question is WHY do you feel this way? Is it because you've had bad experiences with male musicians, or is it because "everybody knows" that since music is male-dominated, that women will have a hard time of it?

If it's the former, I would ask you whether or not you're letting one or two jackasses color your perceptions or support preexisting biases. I've known a lot of women who have a dozen guys who think, for example, that they're attractive, but one asshole calls her fat and she flips out and goes, "You SEE? I TOLD you! Men think I'm fat!"

No, men don't think you're fat. One man thinks you're fat, and he's an asshole.

If it's the latter, you're just playing into stereotypes and holding yourself back.

Quote:
I'd really love to be in a band, but it's a male dominated genre.

So what? I'll let you in on a little secret... men don't really prefer/give a shit about other men in the same way that women seem to prefer other women. Sure, some assholes are gonna say "girls can't play rock n' roll", but the folks who matter will listen to music they like, regardless of who plays it. The best way to succeed in music is to be good at what you do.

Quote:
I love Interpol, The Strokes, The Hives, Sonic Youth, The Cribs, etcetera, but I feel like other musicians inspired by this type of music would be adverse to forming a band with a female front woman because it's so male dominated.

Have you asked them, or are you just assuming? If it seems like I keep beating this particular drum, it's because I see a LOT of it out here in California. "Oh, men do this, men do that". No, we effing don't.

Orianthi FTW. Also Evanescence, The Donnas, Lacuna Coil, Abnormality, Flyleaf, Paramore, fivebyfive, Tijuana Sweetheart... and that's just off the top of my head, because I was listening to them all on my iPod the other day.

Last edited by CarsonStevens : 09-02-2012 at 03:14 PM.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #18
due 07
haaan

I wish I was a grrrl so I could be in an all-grrrl rawk band. :-(
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #19
Joshua1207
Hipster Jesus

Most people who like indie-rock music like you listed prefer a girl to be the singer, at least in my experience.
New Album Melancholic
LIKE MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/MockOffMusic
Joshua1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
corza334

I've been toying with the idea of trying to find a female singer for a metal / prog rock setup.

I think they could get the sound I have in my head a lot better than most the male vocalists around here. (Coheed, Fair to midland.. type thing)

Rate This Thread: