Usernames sucks

What scale is used in this Bjørk song?
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #82
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

It really, really doesn't matter.

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #83
TMVATDI

Idk about you guys, but I think my reply was perfect. Hmph.
TMVATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #84
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMVATDI

You the man, man. You the man.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #85
Hydra150
not so cowardly

and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 09-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #86
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Old 09-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #87
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Quote:

I actually liked your reply!

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #88
bouttimeijoined

I'll say what I've concluded after dozens of conversations on this matter of modes.

I would not like to argue exactly what makes a song or part of a song modal vs. tonal. But I am confident that the modes are very useful to describe and analyze many songs today.

When collaborating on songs with others, it's often much easier to use the mode names to describe things. If I have a chord progression that uses the notes of a mode and resolves to the root chord of that mode, then it's easiest to use the mode name to describe it, compared with saying for example, it's in D minor with this and that raised and flat. That way it helps understand the feel of the song. For example, a lot of people know what phrygian sounds like, so if I say this riff is in E phrygian, they can catch on quicker than if I said it's E minor with a flat second.

Quote:

That modality and tonality are types of analysis, not types of music, was a good point and has been well received.

I would still say that modes are not a useful tool to describe certain songs.
bouttimeijoined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #89
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouttimeijoined
When collaborating on songs with others, it's often much easier to use the mode names to describe things. If I have a chord progression that uses the notes of a mode and resolves to the root chord of that mode, then it's easiest to use the mode name to describe it, compared with saying for example, it's in D minor with this and that raised and flat. That way it helps understand the feel of the song. For example, a lot of people know what phrygian sounds like, so if I say this riff is in E phrygian, they can catch on quicker than if I said it's E minor with a flat second.

do you also say if it's in 4/4? does that tell them what the rhythm is?

in this day and age, if you need to explain something, it's far quicker to show, record->send->have them listen, or just pull up the tablature

music isn't created in scales. if it happens to come out in the E phrygian scale, so ahead, but most of the time it's a lot more complex than that, at least if we're dealing with a full piece of music that consists of more than 3 chords and a verse->chorus
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #90
bouttimeijoined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
do you also say if it's in 4/4? does that tell them what the rhythm is?

in this day and age, if you need to explain something, it's far quicker to show, record->send->have them listen, or just pull up the tablature

music isn't created in scales. if it happens to come out in the E phrygian scale, so ahead, but most of the time it's a lot more complex than that, at least if we're dealing with a full piece of music that consists of more than 3 chords and a verse->chorus

Right so I play it or send a recording and also say, to give a real example: the verse is A dorian, E dorian and E minor. The chorus is in E. The bridge is in F# mixolydian and returns to the chorus by 8 bars in E and 4 in E minor. Then I'd play it and point out the changes and name the chords if needed.
bouttimeijoined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #91
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Right so I play it or send a recording and also say, to give a real example: the verse is A dorian, E dorian and E minor. The chorus is in E. The bridge is in F# mixolydian and returns to the chorus by 8 bars in E and 4 in E minor. Then I'd play it and point out the changes and name the chords if needed.

nigga, what?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #92
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

bouttimeibetrollin'

Old 09-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #93
Usernames sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
It really, really doesn't matter.

Well, i dont know if it really matters or not, but i think its intresting.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 AM   #94
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:

I'd just stick to the chords mate, even people who understand modes would not know what you are talking about.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #95
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

I'm a little late to the party, but whatever. Modes is an antiquated idea that has found it's way back into modern practice by way of people that attempt to sound like they know some ancient secret to music.

Modes take the idea that if you have a major scale and start on a different note then you have a mode. This notion was correct before the advent of equal temperament when the actual intervals between notes were not the same for every semi-tone. However, since equal temperament makes it to where the intervals between all semi-tones are the same, this definition is pretty much worthless. People use this meaning all the time, but fail to understand that we use a different tuning system than when this definition was established.

Besides, modes have always been more of a melodic thing i.e. one vocal line. Once you start to add harmony to it that is when tonality takes over, hence the rationale that modality is primative and evolves into tonality.

In my opinion, it's much simpler to just establish a key center and anything outside of that is considered an accidental. Perhaps it's just the misnomer of the term accidental that turns people off from this line of reason, I don't really know. it's not to suggest the note is an accident guys, but the point is I find everything easier to understand with one key center, one scale as opposed to switching modes every chord or however it is the lesson writer of the day teaches it.

My two cents. Critique away MT.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #96
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
I'm a little late to the party, but whatever. Modes is an antiquated idea that has found it's way back into modern practice by way of people that attempt to sound like they know some ancient secret to music.

Modes take the idea that if you have a major scale and start on a different note then you have a mode. This notion was correct before the advent of equal temperament when the actual intervals between notes were not the same for every semi-tone. However, since equal temperament makes it to where the intervals between all semi-tones are the same, this definition is pretty much worthless. People use this meaning all the time, but fail to understand that we use a different tuning system than when this definition was established.

Besides, modes have always been more of a melodic thing i.e. one vocal line. Once you start to add harmony to it that is when tonality takes over, hence the rationale that modality is primative and evolves into tonality.

In my opinion, it's much simpler to just establish a key center and anything outside of that is considered an accidental. Perhaps it's just the misnomer of the term accidental that turns people off from this line of reason, I don't really know. it's not to suggest the note is an accident guys, but the point is I find everything easier to understand with one key center, one scale as opposed to switching modes every chord or however it is the lesson writer of the day teaches it.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #97
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff

^

I"m pretty damn sure though.

Last edited by GuitarMunky : 09-04-2012 at 10:47 AM.
GuitarMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #98
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150

this,+1, good post, 10/10, would quote self again.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #99
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Just cuz...
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #100
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarMunky
^

I"m pretty damn sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158

feel free to tell us what's wrong about this beyond "boxes are normal, dude, you should be playing boxes duh"

Rate This Thread: