Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Pretty much all the bands you listed, and pop-punk in general, makes use of low/medium-gain valve amps with a hefty overdrive. A couple you mentioned (and again, many other pop-punk bands) don't even use valve distortion at all, just run the amp clean and use a dedicated distortion pedal or rack unit.

It sounds like lazy advice at first, but seriously just look for any combo amps that are being sold in your area. Your local listings will have better deals than anything online. Grab what you can, and depending on how much gain it has then get either an overdrive pedal or a distortion pedal to complete the sound. A cranked valve power amp with transistor clipping ahead of it is going to be more or less what you want until you can afford a full-on Mesa/Marshall/Orange head.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #22
jbarnes.US

Thanks MrFlibble, thats pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear. Could you recommend a good, chunky, distortion or overdrive pedal? I want it to have a nice chug when palm muting and just a good overall distortion when playing. Budget would be 100 bucks
jbarnes.US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Well it really depends on what amp you end up with. Something that drives an Orange head into big, chunky distortion won't necessarily do the same for a Fender combo. Some amps only need a light, transparent overdrive in order to push them where you want to go. Others need a full-on distortion pedal.
This is why I say, look in your local listings to see what mid-gain valve amps are being sold near to you. Get a bargain price from someone who wants a quick sale (if you can pay cash then people will often accept a slightly lower price too). Then, depending on what you end up with, look for a OD or distortion to add to it.

Good all-round overdrives for using with Marshall, some Orange and some Peavey amps are the Boss SD-1 (great for boosting an already fairly distorted amp), HardWire CM-2 (doesn't push the amp as hard but has a little more of its own gain) and DigiTech Bad Monkey (standard tubescreamer style of OD but with more versatile tone controls).
Heavier-going pedals that will pair well with bright & lighter amps like Fenders, Vox and that sort of thing, would be the Blackstar HT-DIST (fuller, standard valve tone), Boss Power Stack (more modern transistor tone) and HardWire SC-2 (transistor, but it sounds halfway between valves and transistor).

Of course, what guitar/pickups you use with it also matters. But generally pop-punk as a genre overall is so easy-going when it comes to gear, it's not worth worrying about in too much detail.

All that said, don't discount all the other advice you've been given. Everything is worthwhile and there's more than one way to get to the same tone. You might end up finding out that using pedals annoys you - many people can't be bothered using them - and you'd rather just get a full-on high-gain valve amp. Tones like this are fairly easy to get so don't get too set on one particular type of rig, see what's for sale near to you and get what appeals most & is a bargain.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
jbarnes.US

I found a single channel Jet City head that looks good for 175. Do I really need a dual channel, or will this single work?

Also, why is everyone suggesting combos? I can spend just as much money on a head and cab seperate and then upgrade the cab eventually.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #25
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Sent you a PM in reply to yours.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:47 AM   #26
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnes.US
I found a single channel Jet City head that looks good for 175. Do I really need a dual channel, or will this single work?

Also, why is everyone suggesting combos? I can spend just as much money on a head and cab seperate and then upgrade the cab eventually.

People are recommending you combo amps for two reasons:

1. You said in your OP that you wanted portability, and a combo is going to give you more portability. I have a head and 2x12 combo, and they weigh about 60-70lbs each, are rather large, and are not in any way what I would call portable. Combos are going to most likely be 1x12, and let you carry your whole rig in one package.

2. Combo amps are usually cheaper than buying a head/cab and are easier to set up and more "foolproof". If you forget to plug a speaker cable into your head and cab (it's easier to forget than you might think) or plug it in wrong, there is a good chance you just turned your amp head into your new favorite paper weight because it will fry the output transformer. You also have to know how many ohms your cab is and how to set your head for that many ohms. With a combo, you can plug it in and play without worrying about any of this.

On top of that, most combo amps have their internal speaker connected in the same way that you connect a cab to a head (a 1/4 inch jack either on the back of the amp or on the inside) and can be connected to a cab if you decide to buy one in the future. They are honestly a better choice for someone in your position that is inexperienced with tube amps, desires portability, is on a budget, and is just going to be jamming with friends for the time being.

That being said, I really think you might benefit from saving up some more money. You could buy an amp that will work for now with your current budget, but that just means you'll be going through this same process again at some point when you want to upgrade again. Alternatively, you could just save a bit more and get a rig that will last you much longer. You could get a Marshall DSL, JCM900, Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, XXX, JSX, 5150, Bugera 333xl, 6260, etc. if you save up a little bit, and you'll probably be happier in the long run with this choice. You wouldn't have to upgrade your rig again unless you changed music preference later on, and with most of those amps, you still wouldn't really need to worry. I understand that a budget's a budget, but I thought I would suggest this as an option.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
jbarnes.US

Thanks man. I am thinking about saving up a few more paychecks to get into a bigger budget. I agree that it wold be better in the long run, I just get exited and want one now when it comes to these things. But I can be patient. If I save up, I was really looking at the line of orange amps.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #28
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

Yeah, I mean while Pop Punk is no rocket science there is a lot of guys in the genre today that are running some pretty expensive rigs. Dan O Conner runs an Orange OR50 and a JCM800 in his live setup for example.
While the Jet City is a good choice, you can save up and do better for the genre.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
jbarnes.US

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #30
Blakeu224

If you're willing to save up a little bit, you could get a used JCM900 and cab for around $500, which was huge in the pop-punk scene in the 90's and early 00's. but dont expect much versatility, pop punk is about all its good for.

Carvin Bolt
Blakeu224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #31
jbarnes.US

Yeah, I at least need a little versatility for random songs or ideas to mess around with.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #32
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

You can do most genres with a JCM900. Punk isn't all that they do; it's all they do WELL, and they do it very well indeed.
They do however have very nice cleans which makes them quite versatile if using them as a platform for pedals. You could do a lot worse for the money.
Roland GP-8
Quadraverb
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: