Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 AM   #21
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
This

I play Slipknot regularly on my mate's Telecaster and it sounds fine, but +1 to the Vypyr

But Slipknot uses Teles! Jims sig is so ****ing sexy too. Im not even into slipknot like I was when I was in Highschool. But I still want that Guitar.

TS, Your not 14 are you? If so, just wade it out until you get some real cash saved up. Just because it doesnt sound great, doesnt mean it isnt worth the wait.

If your not 14, and have a job, or what not, then still, wait. Buy yourself a decent little amp, and then buy yourself a decent guitar.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #22
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdohle
But Slipknot uses Teles! Jims sig is so ****ing sexy too. Im not even into slipknot like I was when I was in Highschool. But I still want that Guitar.

TS, Your not 14 are you? If so, just wade it out until you get some real cash saved up. Just because it doesnt sound great, doesnt mean it isnt worth the wait.

If your not 14, and have a job, or what not, then still, wait. Buy yourself a decent little amp, and then buy yourself a decent guitar.

Yeah a heavily modified HH tele, i'm talking about a single coil MIA haha. I used to be part of the "omg single coils are only for old people and classic rock" bandwagon until I played that MIA Tele, apart from being a bit noisier which was expected, the single coils sounded just as fat and full as a humbucker with the right EQ, if anything it was actually punchier with more sizzle.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #23
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
Yeah a heavily modified HH tele, i'm talking about a single coil MIA haha. I used to be part of the "omg single coils are only for old people and classic rock" bandwagon until I played that MIA Tele, apart from being a bit noisier which was expected, the single coils sounded just as fat and full as a humbucker with the right EQ, if anything it was actually punchier with more sizzle.

I was in the same boat until I played a, coincidentally, a Tele. It was an MIJ Fotoflame. But it was the greatest tele Ive ever played. It was a little Noisy at times, but it played everything with ease, and sounded great even with loads of gain. Teles are very underrated metal guitars. haha.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #24
New Medicine

I would like to clarify I have a SSS strat. Also since it was only 100 dollars new upgrading the pickups would be a waste. I do have a job but I also am saving for a car right now so I cannot set to much aside for guitar purposes. So at max 300. Going from the general concensous a HH guitar from anywhere but B.C. Rich. I was looking on ebay last night and I found a Scheter avenger for 250 it was beautiful. I havent pulled the trigger yet would still like to here more responses. Also I like playing in C and Regular E which is a pain with always tuning. Another reason Id like to get a guitar not an amp

EDIT: Maybe this bad boy http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHECTER-C-...=item3a79633cde

Last edited by New Medicine : 09-04-2012 at 06:52 AM.
New Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #25
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

While I tend to agree with epicurt on most things, I think single coils can be used to get a great metal core tone. I do it, that one dude from winds of plague does it, a local band from around here gets monster tone out of a tele. It's possible, but with that small amount of money, I don't think it matters which thing you upgrade first. As for the schecter, if you haven't already, try to try one out. I expected them to be godly, but I didn't really like them much at all. Very love/hate guitars.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #26
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Medicine
I would like to clarify I have a SSS strat. Also since it was only 100 dollars new upgrading the pickups would be a waste. I do have a job but I also am saving for a car right now so I cannot set to much aside for guitar purposes. So at max 300. Going from the general concensous a HH guitar from anywhere but B.C. Rich. I was looking on ebay last night and I found a Scheter avenger for 250 it was beautiful. I havent pulled the trigger yet would still like to here more responses. Also I like playing in C and Regular E which is a pain with always tuning. Another reason Id like to get a guitar not an amp

EDIT: Maybe this bad boy http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCHECTER-C-...=item3a79633cde

The Schecter C1 guitars are pretty decent for the money. Not sure how those actives will improve your tone with a Spider. FR's are not necessary either a bit of a PITA to maintain/change strings imo. But the Schecters are above average for the price imo. I don't have any experience with those Duncan Designed Active H105's but here is my take- and I play metalcore along with a bunch of other stuff.

That said, I'd still focus on the amp first. I don't think you are going to notice that much of a difference.

I have an HSS Strat. Took the stock bucker out and put a $90 Seymour Duncan in.

I have a Schecter C1+. Took the stock Duncan Designed buckers out and put a set of $90 Seymour Duncans in.

This was after I upgraded my maps. The Vypyr 60 is superior to the Spider in every way. I paid $315 for mine used. If I were you - I'd upgrade your amp first.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Buying another cheap guitar just for a humbucker isn't a very worthwhile upgrade.

You can get a pretty good metal tone from a single coil in a Peavey Vypyr. It's true that it won't sound like a humbucker and most metal players use a humbucker, but it will sound closer to what you want than if you got another guitar with a humbucker and played through the Spider.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Vypyr. Then sell the Spider, and then the Squier after you've saved up a for a bit and get a better guitar. You're probably going to need at least $300 and some patience to get something worthwhile.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #28
New Medicine

Alright 311ZOSOVHJH convinced me. I have done some research I think im gonna get a small vyper and then upgrade the guitar. Now I need to learn how to lower the action on my strat
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

The saddles should have little screws on the top of them. Turn them to adjust action.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #30
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Medicine
Alright 311ZOSOVHJH convinced me. I have done some research I think im gonna get a small vyper and then upgrade the guitar. Now I need to learn how to lower the action on my strat

Now you are making sense. Feel free to call me 311. Try to find a Vypyr 60. I've seen them as low as $250 at Guitar Center. If not - come back here and ask about a certain amp before you buy.

There is a QnA sticky in the Electric Guitar forum and loads of video on youtube that can help you with the action on your strat. Check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
The saddles should have little screws on the top of them. Turn them to adjust action.

That's part of it. Make sure you use the correct allen wrench and make only minor adjustments - don't over turn
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #31
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

TS if you get fret buzz after adjusting it, that means you put the action too low. If that's not low enough for you, but you're buzzing, that guitar needs a set up to an action that feels good to you.

That might not be worth it if you're getting a new guitar, though.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #32
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

It's worth noting you'll have to readjust your intonation after you lower the action. If your intonation is perfect now, it will be slightly off after adjusting the height.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
New Medicine

Do I need to get the 60? or is the 30 okay? i really have no need for the 60 besides the fact that it is tube. I need 15 watts and thats pushing it. I just jam in my room as of right now
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Well need is a strong word, but the 60 sounds significantly better, at least to my ears. I think all the vypyrs sound pretty good, but the tube ones are just better. Up to you dude

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #35
New Medicine

Yea i figured the tube would sound a lot better. I just dont want to shell out the money especially if I dont necessarily use it. are there any other tube amps in my price range? i heard good things about blackstar idont know about there cheaper ones though
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #36
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

A lot of people round here dont like Blackstars because they arent tube. Its a shady marketing gimmick. That said, others love theres.

Rate This Thread: