Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
Apples on Cacti
Fingering minors

A bunch of demos that I put together over the last year

Around the last year, I've discovered that I love writing. These a few of the songs that I've written over the last year, and I'd love it if anyone would maybe just take a listen to even just one of them and provide me with some feedback. I'd love any compositional tips that anyone could offer, because I'm somewhat new and I feel like my songs are pretty basic.

http://soundcloud.com/distortedpixel

Also, I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I'm currently a sophomore in high school and I'm thinking of aiming for Berklee. Just judging from these recordings, what do you think my chances would be?

...never mind, I got nothing.

Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues

Last edited by Apples on Cacti : 09-04-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Apples on Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #2
refewz

I listened to Loosen. This song has a chill feel which is pretty reminiscent of Johny Mayer. I actually hate John Mayer, but this isn't too bad. I feel like this could benefit from another instrument--my recommendation would be a saxophone or a keyboard--because the sound is a little empty now. Your guitar playing is technically good, albeit somewhat uninteresting for my tastes. Your licks are clean--perhaps a little too clean--try playing some harsher notes or add a little distortion. Not to be mean, but this sounds a little like a Hawaiian luau office party or the music I listen to when I'm put on hold. It shows promise, but it's a little too boring for me to thoroughly enjoy. Considering you're only a sophomore in high school, you still have plenty of time to develop your own technique for expressing yourself. C4C? http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1132753
refewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
DrDeathjeans
I don't know myself.

Hey Apples, as promised I took a glance at your stuff. I'm digging everything about Raging Ostriches, I was so into it that I didn't even notice that the song ended and had started Raging Ostriches with percussion. They are very good, I'm loving the acoustic/clean electric mix of Ostriches and Loosen. Much better guitarist than I, for sure.

Overall, they are very nice ambient music. I could leave them on for a while. I approve, sir. I do have to ponder the reasoning behind the song titles tho lol
-Epiphone Hummingbird
DrDeathjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
jdenmo

this is really good stuff man. its ambient, bluesy, and theres some jazz in it too. i know what you mean by getting the urge to just be creative and write your own music.. i do it too. what do you use to record and edit this with? it sounds really clean. its kind of bland but if thats what your aiming for then you nailed it.

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?p=30094456
jdenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Imraotnh

You say your songs are basic but I like them, especially the relaxed feel. I'd recommend to stick to and develop your own style instead of trying to sound more complex just for the sake of it. I agree with refewz, some keyboards (Rhodes piano?) would be nice. I'd suggest some slide guitar too (although I haven't listen to all of your songs yet and if you have a track with slide - sorry ), I think that it will blend nice with the overall feel.

I'd like to say another thing about your style... All of your tracks I've listened so far (Loosen, Raging Ostriches and Bagels and Cheese) have similar atmosphere which is good! It shows that you already have your own way of musical thinking. Again, stick to it and develop it. I will follow you on SC. Wish you luck!

Last edited by Imraotnh : 09-06-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Imraotnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #6
Apples on Cacti
Fingering minors

First off, (and I know thank you posts are against the rules, but this isn't just a thank you post) thank you all for listening and commenting. I don't show my music to people outside from strangers on the internet, so this is my sole source of feedback.

To refewz, I think John Mayer is the shit. He's amazing. But each to their own and all. I used to hate John Mayer, too, just based on hearing the radio hits (Waiting on the World to Change, Heartbreak Warfare, etc.), but I listened to the entirety of the Continuum album and got hooked.

DrDeathjeans, the titles only have meaning to me. It'd be pointless trying to explain it lmao. Thanks for the feedback. Raging Ostriches was one of my first but still one of my favorite songs.

jdenmo and lmraotnh, and refewz as well, I think what I was getting from these comments is that the music was alright, but somewhat bland. It's true, and that kind of bugs me. I tried to put in some more action with the percussion (which I asked a friend to do, because I don't know drums well), but in the end, it's just the arrangements that are kind of dull. I'm hoping to find some people to record some other instruments for me at some point, but I play piano/keyboards, so maybe I'll try that sometime. But I kind of like the simplicity, so I have some selfconflict there. Someday it'll make sense to me, hopefully. John Mayer somehow makes the simple with a full band thing work out really well.

Also, to jdenmo, I got a Sennheiser e609 to record with as a gift a while ago. It's been working great for me, I'm glad you like the sounds.

...never mind, I got nothing.

Play the blues in five easy steps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGen
1) Be black
2) Have very horrible things happen to you
3) pick up a guitar
4) ???
5) Play blues
Apples on Cacti is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: