Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Paddynbob

Fuzz mod help needed

I'm about to buy a kit from a website, its really simple, it has like, three resistors, a transistor and a few other components. But I'm wanting to mod it to make my own sound.

Questions:

A: how does the transistor affect the sound? How could I change it?
B: How do the resistors change the sound? How could I change them? Materials? Resistances? Silicon? Others?
C: does it matter what value resistor I put in? If not, how does resistance affect the sound?

I'm wanting it to sound like, mega jack white über fuzzy

http://diypedalkits.com/?p=118 this is what I'm buying

Thanks
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
badgerific

My suggestion: buy the kit, build it with sockets for all the components. Buy a bunch of different values for each of the things.

I'd recommend that you don't go below 10k for the resistor between the transistor and 9V or you might burn the transistor out.

Changing transistors will change the sound a lot. Make sure you use NPN transistors for that circuit, and make sure you're putting the right pins in the socket (check the datasheets for collector, base and emiter layouts).

I'd recommend changing the capacitors + transistors more than the resistors. Also, look into adding a voltage starve control (pot wired in series between the DC jack and board's 9V rail) and a volume pot at the input of the circuit to act as a gain control.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions if I didn't explain anything properly
badgerific is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: