Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Cloudkicker

Is it normal for Mesa boogies to sound muddy at low volumes?

I have mad my mesa boogie here for a few days and have only been able to put the master at 1 because of other people in the house and neighbors. I notice that when i crank the volume to 10 and have the master at 1 it will get that gain i like but with not much clarity, sounds kind of muddy and mildly thin. I have the eq dialed in to the pretty standard V shape too.
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Cloudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Back off the gain a little bit. Just twist knobs until something works, maybe you just don't like the v-dip in the eq. It will sound better louder but it should sound decent now. Definitely take the gain easy

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
Robbgnarly

Try adding some mids to it. Also lower the gain some

The one .50 cal I have tried seemed to like more volume than typical bedroom levels to sound good. But take this with a grain of salt since I have experience with only one.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Cloudkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Try adding some mids to it. Also lower the gain some

The one .50 cal I have tried seemed to like more volume than typical bedroom levels to sound good. But take this with a grain of salt since I have experience with only one.

Well i am hoping i can crank this amp's power tubes soon, I am about a fourth way through building an iso box for my 2x12 cab.
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Cloudkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Try boosting it with your Bad Monkey. That pedal works great for getting some tighter tones at lower volume. Gain on '0' or maybe '1'
Old 09-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
RDSElite

Mesa/Boogies are known for very specific dialing to get good tone, so try this out until something works. I basically have mine set up at some settings that sound good and I never touch the controls again.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

First off, my advice is to use the Channel Volume and Master Volume in tandem to get your desired output volume. If you turn the Channel volume down , it will make the Master less touchy and you might be able to squeeze a little more volume out of it without causing problems with people. Setting your volume like that would be akin to having a Lamborghini revved high while you hold the brakes down so you are barely moving. You're going to get higher performance because you're flooring it, but by braking like that, you're basically countering everything you would be achieving with the gas pedal floored other than ruining your gas mileage. You are basically cooking your tubes for no reason and making it a pain in the ass to dial in a low volume. Tube amps sound better cranked for more reasons than just the power tubes running hot.

Second, avoid cranking the gain to 10 and scooping the mids to 0. Instead, try having your mids around 4-7 and the gain around 5-7 (I'm not familiar with dialing in Mesas, hence the more broad suggestion). Bringing mids up and gain down will help clear up your sound and give you more articulate tone overall. It will also prepare you for a full-band setting, where your mids are what will let you cut through the mix and be heard and able to be "picked out" through the rest of the instruments. Another thing to watch is having your bass set too high. A quick test to see if it is the EQ and not the Volume would be to set all of your knobs at halfway with the volume set where you want it and see if still sounds muddy and thin. You might also consider adding/removing reverb to see if this helps at all.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Oh lordy, here comes the mids train.

Contrary to what has been said, try scooping your mids. When you're turned up, you need to add mids to add body and balls to your tone - at low volumes, you need to turn your mids down to increase clarity. Mids need to increase as volume increases, and vice versa, basically.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I wasn't suggesting he try to make his tone honky and without bite. That's why I gave a broad range on the settings I suggested. I was saying that using Dimebag Darrel settings almost never sounds good, so if that's what he was doing, that could be the problem. I also listed that as part of what is more or less a troubleshooting guide for what he's going through because I was having a similar problem with my amp whhen I first purchased it. My problem turned out to be a combination of things, including my mids being too scooped, my gain being too high, my channel volume being too high for what my master was set at, my reverb being on, and my Presence and Density being set wrong. After adjusting all of those at least to a degree, my low-volume tone is much better and sounds closer to my high-volume tone. However, different amps call for different settings, plus my amp has a bunch of features that most amps don't have, so obviously what worked for me might not work for someone else, not to mention I run a 10-band in my loop which gives me more control. It could even be that his guitar has low-output pickups that can't handle high-gain and that's where the muddiness stems from. However, if he tries the things I suggested and his amp still sounds muddy, it's probably either the volume or another factor. No matter what, though, if his settings are to have the Gain, Bass, and Treble all on 10 with his Mids at 0, his amp is going to sound bad.

Just as a thought, what cabinet/speaker(s) are you using?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

You don't want to scoop any control or dime any control on a mesa. Read the manual for the amp, it'll go a long way to explain how the controls work together (which they do with mesas). Once you understand how the controls work together and which controls have the most effect (typically the gain and treble knobs with mesas, don't know about yours) they're a lot easier to dial in.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: