Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #1
Ameer27

I need help with learning how to spin drumsticks...

So I've just started out learning how to spin a drumstick... I've seen so many videos on
YouTube and read on wikiHow how to spit the stick. But I can't... It seems so goddamn hard!

I've tried the easier method which involves keeping the stick between your index and middle finger and moving your index finger back and forth, but with me the stick doesn't spin, it just moves back and forth. It also slides in my hand and often slides all the way out of my hand and falls. Well, it sometimes does spin, but for a very brief amount of time, and it always, always slides and falls once it begins to spin...

Also, funny thing is, I haven't even got a drum set yet. I just have the sticks... lol

Do you guys have any tips that might help me?
Ameer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #2
Steve08

You don't "need" to learn flashy gimmicks, not ONE of any of history's greatest drummers has ever spun a stick. Guaranteed.

Because I'm a nice guy, though, you most likely just aren't gripping it hard enough if you're having problems with unwanted stick movement.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #3
KaitoNyappy

Start with moving your wrist too, to get the stick into a spinning motion, until you can do it with just your fingers. You might want to try it with a pen, too. Look up a "pen spinning charge", it's basically the same thing.
KaitoNyappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Ameer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve08
You don't "need" to learn flashy gimmicks, not ONE of any of history's greatest drummers has ever spun a stick. Guaranteed.

Because I'm a nice guy, though, you most likely just aren't gripping it hard enough if you're having problems with unwanted stick movement.

What do you mean that I don't need to learn flashy gimmicks? I don't understand... What do you mean by "flashy gimmicks". And yes to be honest, I haven't seen great drummers spin sticks, and obviously this doesn't make them bad.. lol xD

Anyway, so you mean that I don't need to know how to spin a drumstick in if I am (or will be) a drummer? Though I'm not learning it just to be a "cool" drummer, I'm learning it because I think it's a nice trick.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
Ameer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaitoNyappy
Start with moving your wrist too, to get the stick into a spinning motion, until you can do it with just your fingers. You might want to try it with a pen, too. Look up a "pen spinning charge", it's basically the same thing.

I'm trying what you said, and it's actually starting to work! Cool!

I'll also make sure to look up pen spinning charge.

Thank you.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:

Depends on what you're going for. Flashy gimmicks make live shows fun to watch, just like that "drummer at wrong gig" video. Whether or not you use those moves when playing doesn't impact the "musical"-part of the performance, however it becomes significantly more challenging and fun.

Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Steve08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameer27
What do you mean that I don't need to learn flashy gimmicks? I don't understand... What do you mean by "flashy gimmicks". And yes to be honest, I haven't seen great drummers spin sticks, and obviously this doesn't make them bad.. lol xD

Anyway, so you mean that I don't need to know how to spin a drumstick in if I am (or will be) a drummer? Though I'm not learning it just to be a "cool" drummer, I'm learning it because I think it's a nice trick.
You answered your own question, basically. Of course, this is not an undeniable fact but in my estimation there is no real point in learning to flip sticks as it doesn't make you a better drummer/musician by any means... it just means you can flip a stick. If you took a video of any dude, like the kid from Texas in July or someone, and removed the stick flipping but left everything else intact, there would be no difference... so long as the performance itself stands strong on its own merits.

Then you have people like Luke Holland who place more value in showing off (which usually only really impresses people who are not musicians, or are ignorant musicians-- so what's the point?) with stick flips than actually performing well... such is life.

Keep in mind, however, there is nothing wrong with wanting to learn to do them. But your time would be better spent on practicing rudiments or just the basic fundamentals of hand/foot technique in general.

Carlos Gracie Sr. -> Carlos Gracie Jr. -> Roberto Maia -> John Connors -> me
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
corrda00
Unregistered User

Quote:

Neil Peart.
But you do have a point. Its not useful at all.

It takes practice. You'll get it. Its easier with heavier sticks I find.

My Compositions:
Roots (Prog Metal)
New Tuning (Prog Metal)
Sexy Riff (Pop Rock)
corrda00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #9
NUMAS
UG's beggar.

Ray Luzier would have a word with you guys.

I'm not putting him against Peart, but I still like him better .

I kindly ask you to correct my grammar. And also to smile.
NUMAS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #10
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

there are good drummers that do it

he IMO is one of the best drummers i have heard.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

According to one of my friends, most drummers don't actually spin the stick round a full 360 at all, but rather just swing it round one way then the other in a quick oscillating sort of motion to give the appearance of the stick being spun.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
zeek7pc

Buy this book. I did, it's actually pretty cool. Even if you don't do it for show, it does help with dexterity and coordination.

http://store.drumbum.com/drumstick-...drum-sticks.htm

Rate This Thread: