Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
New Medicine

tone difference between Vyper 60 and 15?

So I pretty much just sit at home and jam with myself and occasionally a friend or two. I really dont want to shell out the cash for the 60 because I will not use it. The only thing it has is real tubes and the 15 lacks this. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is that much of a sound difference and that I need the 60. It would involve a couple more months of saving also. I play almost anything from rancid to bullet for my valentine. Also if you think the tubes are essentail and agree the 60 would be a waste post another amp that would get the job done with lower wattage
New Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
MonsterMetalMus

The 60w tube verison will sound MUCH better than the 15w. Both because of the tubes and the size of the speaker. The bass response of the 15w will be pretty horrible. That being said, the 15w should still sound pretty good for what you're using it for though. If you plan on jamming with a drummer the 15w won't be able to cut it though.
MonsterMetalMus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
New Medicine

Yea I do not see a drummer in my for seeable future. Maybe the 30 just in case? those are going for 160$ here. much cheaper then the 60 and im assuming the bass will be a little better?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
DeanRedneck

I've got a 15 that I use for a practice amp. It's a great little amp. if you're looking to get one as a primary amp, I suggest going up to the 30 for several reasons. The 15 has a 8" speaker that doesn't convey low-end very well, the 30 has a 12". The 15 doesn't have the stompbox models that the larger ones have. And the 15 isn't compatible with the Sanpera Footswitch which would really make the amp a lot more useful and allow you to take full advantage of the amp

I personally don't see the benefits of a tube power section in a modeling amp. Also, at bedroom levels, you're not really getting any of the tube saturation that makes tube amps desirable. At higher volumes, you'll notice a difference; but at low volumes you probably wont hear much difference between the 15 and the 60
DeanRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
New Medicine

I was thinking the same thing. I didnt realize the 15 didnt have the stompbox effects. That diffidently makes the 30 more desirable.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
DeanRedneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Medicine
I was thinking the same thing. I didnt realize the 15 didnt have the stompbox effects. That diffidently makes the 30 more desirable.

The 15 does have some effects (and most of them sound pretty good) and the tubescreamer pedal model, but it's missing about half of what the 30 has (most are overdrive/distortion pedal models I think). The use of a footswitch would be the big seller for me. on the 15 there's no way to change anything (like going from clean to dirty) without physically adjusting the amp or hitting a preset button
DeanRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Watts =/= volume. A 60 watt Vypyr Tube will be quite a bit louder than the 15, however, not 4 times as loud. Maybe twice as loud or so. Also for home practice, the Vypyr Tube has a headphone out put so you can play silently, and you have the volume to jam with friends, guitarists or drummers, by going through the speaker.

On the topic of solid state vs. tube, there is a significant difference between the two, but a difference some young players can't hear yet, which is fine, but if you plan on sticking with guitar for a while, I'd go for the Vypyr Tube. It'd be worth the saving. Unless you have a dream amp in mid and want to save for that (where then sound quality isn't as big of a deal and I'd recommend the 15), this is a good amp to find your favorite tones, then eventually a better amp.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
New Medicine

I dont know if the footswitch is that big of a deal for me but ill pay 50 more dollars for a few more disortions as long as they sound alright

Also on the noise issue. I do not have an amp in mind. I am just fooling around. I do love it and want to stick with it. But I need a car also and college is coming so I need something fairly cheap that sounds good

Last edited by New Medicine : 09-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

There is really no reason to get a 15 over a 30, unless you absolutely can't afford the price difference(and then there's still the used market).

Well, there is one I can think of, the 8 inch speaker can deliver some extra punch at really low volumes. But honestly, if you are going to play at volumes that low, you might be better off with a good set of headphones anyway.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
DarthV

The 60 does sound better than any of the solid state ones (15,30,75 and 100w). And like others have said, I really wouldn't buy the 15 unless it was the only thing I could afford for a long while. IMO, it's be worth saving for at least the 30. After owning a tube amp, I would definitely want the 60w vypyr.
Kemper KPA
DarthV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #11
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

The 60w is going to probably keep you happier for longer. If you want to stick with guitar and are going to college, there very well might be a drummer in your future. Granted, I don't know where you're going to college or anything, but college is where I met my band. If I were you, i would go for the 60, then try to get a footpedal, too. Try to go used. You might be able to find both together for a good price. As for volume, like the other guys said, there is a headphone output, plus there is a magical device called a volume knob that most people seem to forget about on amps.

Plus, if you end up with douchebag neighbors at college that play shitty music and refuse to turn it down when you ask, the best way to remedy the situation (and be best I mean the funniest, not the most reasonable) is to crank your amp up in their direction and play the shit out of your guitar. They'll get the message. Not many guys have a stereo system at college that can get louder than a gig-able guitar amp.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #12
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The 60 will sound good quiet when by yourself but also if you ever want to crank it to jam one day.
The 60 will do it all whereas the 15 or 30 will be inferior even for it's targetted purpose (playing quietly). If you can afford the 60, get the 60. It's a no brainer.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
New Medicine

alright I guess I'll save up. And keep an eye open on ebay and craigslist. Thanks guys
Old 09-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

You can get em fairly cheap if your patient. I understand the money squeeze, I've been there, hell, I AM there, but I do think the quality is worth the extra dough. Do you have any way to play the side by side? We can talk all this up but to figure out if it's worth it to you, you gotta play em

Gear:
Randall RM100 (Recto, KH2 and XTC modules)
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
New Medicine

Yea Ill take a trip down to my local guitar center and test em out this weekend. I wish there was a good tube amp and smaller wattage and a little cheaper

Last edited by New Medicine : 09-05-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Small wattage is not good for metalcore. You'll get power tube saturation at a lower level, which is undesirable.

But again, wattage =/= volume.

Rate This Thread: