Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Looking for some help in the Marietta, Ohio/Parkersburg West Virginia Area

First off, sorry if this violates the rules. I read the rules stickies and it didn't seem like it would. My reasoning was I won't know for sure if I don't try.

I've recently moved close to this area and I am going to be moving into this area and I was wondering if anyone here in GG&A (where I frequent the most in these forums) is from this area or lives in this area and could recommend me the names of some guitar shops/pawn shops in the area to get me started out. I've googled it and found some results, but smaller local shops don't always get attention on google, so I thought I would ask on here to see if there are any I missed and see if maybe there are some fellow UG'ers in the area and possibly working at any of the shops.

Again, sorry if this violates the rules. I'm not trying to advertise, start a game, flame, troll, get off-topic (I'm looking for stores that sell GG&A), or stalk anyone, I'm just in a new area where I don't really know anyone and I thought I would check UG for some help.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
sjones
UG's Analrapist

Hey, that's where I live! Not many people from the Mid Ohio Valley on UG, so I'm kinda shocked.

Anyway, as far as music shops in the area, the best overall store is probably CA House Music in Parkersburg. It has the best selection in the area. IIRC, amp-wise they carry Mesa's, Peavey, Fender, some Marshall, Vox, and some Line 6 stuff, plus some used as well. As far as their guitar selection, I know they carry Ibanez, ESP/LTD, some PRS, Fender, Epiphone, maybe a few Gibsons, plus used and a few others.

Third Street Music is pretty decent, as is Kassel Music, both in Marietta. Third Street Music, guitar-wise, mainly carries Fender and Jackson electrics as well as some Gibsons. As for amps, they carry Orange and Dr. Z amps, but other than that it's mainly more budget/hobbyist amps. As for pedals, they are the only store in the area to carry Way Huge stuff.

Kassel Music in Marietta probably has the best used selection in the area in both guitars and amps. As for their new stuff, they carry G&L, Schecter, and Washburn and Bugera amps. However, you can generally find good deals on used guitars, ranging in brands from Gibsons, Schecters, Fenders and more(anything else that's he's traded for), and in amps I've seen a few used Mesa-Mark series float through there, as well as Marshalls. It's also the only store in the Mid Ohio Valley I've ever seen a Matchless at.

Those are probably the best three stores in the Mid Ohio Valley. Not sure if this thread will get closed or not, but either way I thought I've throw some advice your way. If you're in a band, I play in a band and book shows in Marietta and Parkersburg, so shoot me a PM or something and I might be able to help get you some gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Thanks! I've already been to CA House and Third Street, but I hadn't heard of Kassel. Definitely gonna check them out. As for my band, we're based out of Athens (we met at college) so Marrietta/parkersburg would be a close enough area for us. If you wanna hear clips, I have some on my profile, and you can find us on Youtube with a quick search of "Shadow Cell Metal"
Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
sjones
UG's Analrapist

^ Checked out the band's facebook page. Pretty cool stuff, sounds kinda NWOBTM, like Maiden sorta stuff. I think our bands could fit on a show together. I'll shoot you a line on facebook man!

The MOV's rock scene is actually doing pretty well and it's getting bigger. We have no problem getting pretty good gigs, including opening for some national acts as well. The link in my sig (the large Black Bourbon Devils) takes you to our facebook page, I believe. We've got quite a few fan videos on youtube too.

Good to meet another person from the area on UG!

Quote:
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

This is cute.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I agree, it's nice to know there are people in your area with similar interests. I'll check out your band's stuff as soon as I can. I went and checked out a shit load of music stores today, including the ones you listed. I'll let the guys in my band know that we have a contact in the area. Speaking of playing with Nationally recognized acts, we're opening for Mushroomhead in October It's for their Halloween show we're pretty excited about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
This is cute.

Why, thank you.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
sjones
UG's Analrapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I agree, it's nice to know there are people in your area with similar interests. I'll check out your band's stuff as soon as I can. I went and checked out a shit load of music stores today, including the ones you listed. I'll let the guys in my band know that we have a contact in the area. Speaking of playing with Nationally recognized acts, we're opening for Mushroomhead in October It's for their Halloween show we're pretty excited about that.

That should be a rad show! Have fun!

I book shows for not only my band but others as well, so I'll probably have something coming up fairly soon I could use a band on. We haven't played in Athens yet, so perhaps we could swap a gig or two? How is the Athens/Ohio U. music scene these days?

Quote:
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Sounds like a deal to me. Just give me a date and place and I'll ask the guys. The scene in Athens isn't the greatest. There are bands, for sure, but we've only really hit it off with two bands, one of which we haven't even played with. Maybe we just haven't got into the scene enough, but it seems somewhat weak compared to what I expected. We've honestly done more gigs in the Columbus area, especially the Alrosa.

Rate This Thread: