Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
'93

new guitar...what to choose :/

so im starting to save up towards another guitar, seeing as im sorted out pedal wise and amp wise, mainly to have one that doesnt have the problems my jaguar has. dont get me wrong, i love the jag. it is an absolutely brilliant guitar and i cant think of a guitar that suits me more. but there are some problems. mainly -

the short scale - i have large hands so i tend to have problems soloing on the higher frets
sustain - while i dont need loads of sustain (not lp type) i would like a bit more
the bridge - i still need to properly fix it but id rather have a bridge that never causes any problems

styles that i play are mainly alt rock and punk. bands like sex pistols, the ramones, nirvana, rhcp, radiohead. i also like some zep and hendric though

budget is basically that of a mid ranged guitar, between 400 and 700 euros, although the cheaper the better. guitars i was looking included various telecasters (standard, cabronita, blacktop), gibsons (60s, melody maker) some danelectros (which i know are cheaper but still, if its good ill go for it) and strats (standard and 60s classic player)

so any suggestions?
'93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Maybe a Cabronita Telecaster might be your best bet.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
so im starting to save up towards another guitar, seeing as im sorted out pedal wise and amp wise, mainly to have one that doesnt have the problems my jaguar has. dont get me wrong, i love the jag. it is an absolutely brilliant guitar and i cant think of a guitar that suits me more. but there are some problems. mainly -

the short scale - i have large hands so i tend to have problems soloing on the higher frets
sustain - while i dont need loads of sustain (not lp type) i would like a bit more
the bridge - i still need to properly fix it but id rather have a bridge that never causes any problems

styles that i play are mainly alt rock and punk. bands like sex pistols, the ramones, nirvana, rhcp, radiohead. i also like some zep and hendric though

budget is basically that of a mid ranged guitar, between 400 and 700 euros, although the cheaper the better. guitars i was looking included various telecasters (standard, cabronita, blacktop), gibsons (60s, melody maker) some danelectros (which i know are cheaper but still, if its good ill go for it) and strats (standard and 60s classic player)

so any suggestions?
Go play some guitars.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
'93

i owuld usually but the problem is that there are so many that im considering (so id like some opinions first) and not all of these guitars are found in local shops so i might have to order

also, sorry but i though i clicked the electric guitar section -_-
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
timothy95

You can never go wrong with a strat, i personally would play an HSS one but thats up to you.
timothy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
&baconstrips

The cabronita is sexy. Danelectros are cool, but not very versatile. I wouldn't recommend getting one as your only guitar. You would have a hard time covering all those different bands with a dano.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
'93

its basically between my jag and my next guitar. thing is i dont want them so different that ill have to change eq and stuff

has anyone tried the cabronita? is it good. cos its really interesting? how does it compare soundwise to say the blacktop tele?
Old 09-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
its basically between my jag and my next guitar. thing is i dont want them so different that ill have to change eq and stuff

You won't have to change your EQ, but don't expect the ideal EQ settings for one guitar to be ideal for another. It would be in your best interest to change the settings when you switch between them.

If that's not something you're up to, you can always buy a Danelectro EQ pedal for $30 and leave it setup for one guitar.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
'93

ill probably just leave it to be honest...my eq is quite balanced for my jag, hopefully wouldnt have to change it too much for different guitars
Old 09-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #10
Vanderguitars

Check out the guitars at rondo music.... just google it. Really inexpensive, easy to mod and fairly decent quality. Custom chop guitars start at like $250 i think- built to your specifications.
Ibanez ARZ400
SX Furrian
Bugera 333XL
Line 6 m13
ISP Tech Decimator
Vanderguitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #11
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

The Cabronita is the best sounding and playing Mexican Fender I've played. Awesome neck, not typically a thin C like most other Fenders, nice chunky but comfortable neck, really easy to dig into chords or bends. Filtertrons pickups are quite bright and sparkly, but complements the guitar greatly. Really simple layout as well, 3 way toggle and a single volume. That's it. Great workhorse guitar.

I've only ever plugged in the pine version ($100 more) but the regular version plays just as well and I'd doubt you'd notice too much difference in sound. For the price they can be had at, they're a perfect addition to a rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
AndyGray
UG Addict

ESP EC 1000 with Sey Duncs. You should be able to get a decent used one within your budget.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
'93

rondo dont ship to europe :/ or at least it would be way too expensive to. im really liking the look of the cabronita. so is it still quite bright, even htough it has humbuckers?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Robbie-G

I had a jag years ago and had similar problems to the ones you mentioned,
From the guitars you mentioned I would personally look at the Tele's and Strats, they should be pretty familiar territory to the jag and ideally provide some of the aspects your looking for.

I've never played the cabronita, but I am a fan of the Tele and it does look like it would be a fun one to play. for versatility in one axe I would also take a look at a HSS Strat.
Robbie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
'93

thing is in single coil guitars i love the bite of the bridge. id prefer to have an sss strat than an hss one. but i guess i could try one.

i am really starting to get interested in the cabronita though
Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
The Cabronita is the best sounding and playing Mexican Fender I've played.

You played a Classic Player's 60s model?
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
You played a Classic Player's 60s model?

Yep. Was not of a fan of the way it played or felt at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
'93

concerning the cabronita, there are two versions, ash and alder. what is the difference between them? the ash costs more but i know it doesnt necessarily mean its better.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #19
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Yep. Was not of a fan of the way it played or felt at all.

Hmm, interesting. I know you've played tons more guitars than me, so I don't discredit your opinion... But for me it blows American Standards out of the water for both sound and feel.

That said, If I were forced to buy new I don't know that that'd be my choice. I got mine because it was marked as a MIM Std. and priced accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '93
concerning the cabronita, there are two versions, ash and alder. what is the difference between them? the ash costs more but i know it doesnt necessarily mean its better.

Its just the body wood. Most strats and teles are alder, but many people prefer ash both for the sound and because its a bit lighter. That's my understanding anyway.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 09-07-2012 at 08:47 AM.
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
'93

ye i get that its the body wood :P i mean does ash tend to be brighter, or darker? if its lighter would it have less sustain?

Rate This Thread: