Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Taggzo

Custom Guitars?

Hey Guys
Just wondering as this confused me earlier. I'm thinking of buying a nice guitar in good condition cheaply and it says that it is a 'custom' guitar. I've always assumed that this meant you would specify your 'ideal' guitar to the maker and they would make it especially for you. If that's right, why is that you will go on the Gibson/Epiphone website and it might say 'Custom Les Paul' and you can buy it straight from there? Because it is ready-made and being made in 100's it can't be custom if they're selling it like they would sell any ordinary guitar. Just wondering because that doesn't sound like 'custom'.
Thanks, Tom
Taggzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

"Custom" is just a name Gibson gave to differentiate it from other Les Pauls do to it's own features. Also, this should be in "Electric Guitar" subforum.
SKEdit: By differentiate, I mean that there's a Les Paul Studio, Standard, Custom, et cetera. Each one has it's own unique features. There was a thread a while back that described the differences but I cba to find it.
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough

Last edited by Skullivan : 09-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Taggzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullivan
"Custom" is just a name Gibson gave to differentiate it from other Les Pauls do to it's own features. Also, this should be in "Electric Guitar" subforum.
SKEdit: By differentiate, I mean that there's a Les Paul Studio, Standard, Custom, et cetera. Each one has it's own unique features. There was a thread a while back that described the differences but I cba to find it.

Ok thanks, so is custom just the name of the model then? just like standard and studio? (sorry I'm a real amateur)
Old 09-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Skullivan
JKap's Trusty Headband

Yeah, just a model name.
Originally Posted by jazz-rock-feel
How damaging is it for a trans person to be referred to the incorrect gender as a child?
I don't see how it would be damaging. I got called C-dog for a number of years despite not being a dog. I turned out alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickel_w
PRS is not enough
Skullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Taggzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullivan
Yeah, just a model name.

Right, ok that makes sense, thanks a lot for your help, I got confused over how you get custom guitars (ones that you ask to have specific features) right, cheers

Rate This Thread: