Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
andrerist
schecterguy

sanding my neck

so i'm starting to contemplate sanding down the neck on my schecter. it has the same high gloss finish as the entire guitar but i've been thinking alot lately about sanding it down.

i realize its just sand paper but is there anything else that goes into this? anything i should know before doing it?
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Phoenix V
Registered MUser

Lots of you tube luthiers who have good video guides on how to do this properly.

Other than that, I find having a nice cold beer on hand really helps move things along, with some pretzels.

My gear is in my Profile

Hondo 780 Deluxe Refurb

Gibson Studio Build

Last edited by Phoenix V : 09-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Phoenix V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Do you want to take all the finish off or just 'satin' the neck? If the first, I'd suggest just satining the finish first and see how you like that. All you need to do is tape off the areas where you want the satin to stop and sand lightly with like 600 grit paper.

Nice thing about it is its still possible to return it to high gloss without refinishing the whole thing. You'd just need to sand it with some finer grit, buff, and then polish the whole thing again.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I wouldn't even use 600, I'd start off with 1200 and see how that goes. If a slicker feel is all you're after, sometimes just that is enough.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
I wouldn't even use 600, I'd start off with 1200 and see how that goes. If a slicker feel is all you're after, sometimes just that is enough.

Good point, 600 is just what I prefer

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
EddieHet

I sand the whole body and neck with 1500.
Play well and look sexy.
EddieHet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Would 1500 even do anything? That's what I use to get a finish glossy again after 1200 and right before using a buffing compound.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
EddieHet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Would 1500 even do anything? That's what I use to get a finish glossy again after 1200 and right before using a buffing compound.

Not really a big difference between 1200 and 1500.
Maybe I will use a higher grits to sand it again someday cause it still feels a bit scratchy after 1500.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
andrerist
schecterguy

wat's the difference between straight up sanding the neck and putting a satin finish on it? i just want it to play a little faster because when its humid or my hands are sweating i stick all over the neck
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
EddieHet

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist
wat's the difference between straight up sanding the neck and putting a satin finish on it? i just want it to play a little faster because when its humid or my hands are sweating i stick all over the neck

You can't really sand the finish off.
So if you want satin finish then go for 1500 or higher.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist

Yeah, you don't want to sand the finish off. That would be bad for the guitar(in theory). A satin finish is what you need, and you can achieve that by using 1000 sandpaper on the neck, or even a brillo pad or steel wool.

Trust me, that's the way to go. Just keep a green brillo pad in a ziplock bag in your guitar case and hit the neck whenever it starts to shine again(because it will, from your hand rubbing on it).
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: