Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
MegaDTSX

Ordered a Mesa Mark V combo..is that a mistake?

I was reading around the Mesa forums and a lot of people act like the combo sounds way different and I won't be able to get near the tone of a head plus cabinet... But then they never go into detail as to why I I don't know what to think right now. I play lots of prog rock and I have a couple of 2x12 combos that could possibly be used as cabinets (right?) in case any of that is true. I just wanted to to have the awesome versatile tones and the deep crunch of the Dream Theater Awake'ish tone.
MegaDTSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

There's nothing stopping you running it into a separate cab later if you find you need a fuller sound or a wall of speakers behind you to get better feedback.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

No mistake. I have one, and compared to a closed back cab it is a bit different on the low end. No different then any opened backed cab. Heads are identical, just different headshell.

The thing that bothered me most was the sound defecting off the wall behind it at first. I don't even notice it anymore.

Great sounding amp. Great choice.

Not sure what type of tones you are after but look at this for a rough idea of EQ.

Really some notes- the channel 2 needs gain cranked for true crunch channel.

Channel 3 - don't turn the bass knob up past 11o'clock.

Let me know if you have any questions.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
MegaDTSX

Well I mainly play at home or in a small gig w/a good PA. Will I achieve the tone I'm looking for with just the 1x12 and maybe just a tube screamer in front also if needed?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
MegaDTSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
No mistake. I have one, and compared to a closed back cab it is a bit different on the low end. No different then any opened backed cab. Heads are identical, just different headshell.

The thing that bothered me most was the sound defecting off the wall behind it at first. I don't even notice it anymore.

Great sounding amp. Great choice.

Not sure what type of tones you are after but look at this for a rough idea of EQ.

Really some notes- the channel 2 needs gain cranked for true crunch channel.

Channel 3 - don't turn the bass knob up past 11o'clock.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks and I've seen those bids and I know he uses a head + cab. So again will the 1x12 not get near his sound there or were they just snobs st the mess forum?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaDTSX
Well I mainly play at home or in a small gig w/a good PA. Will I achieve the tone I'm looking for with just the 1x12 and maybe just a tube screamer in front also if needed?

Not sure what tone you are after- I have a TS9 and don't ever use it.

I'm sure you can get the tone you are after with the combo. If anything just elevate it or tilt it to get the sound off the floor and point towards you.

For gigging you may want a cab for better sound projection then the 1x12. If its mic'd I wouldnt even sweat it.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Stick it on a milk crate and you'll be fine. You only ever mike up one speaker at a gig. A big cab is for your benefit, not the audience.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Thanks and I've seen those bids and I know he uses a head + cab. So again will the 1x12 not get near his sound there or were they just snobs st the mess forum?

Ignore them. 1x12 is great.

If you are after his sound just EQ it with like in the video. You can nail it easily. I did it just to see how close and its near spot on.

Personally I turn my gain up a little more on mine than in that video, but I'm not after his tone.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Here is the best way to see if it's a mistake:

1. Play the amp
2. Decide if you like the sound and feel
3. If yes, then it was not a mistake
4. If no, re-EQ and try again
5. Once you run out of EQ options, if you still don't like it, get a new amp.

Really, though, you'll be fine with it, especially if you have a 2x12 you can hook it up to if you desire a closed-back setup or more projection.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
I was reading around the Mesa forums and a lot of people act like the combo sounds way different and I won't be able to get near the tone of a head plus cabinet... But then they never go into detail as to why I I don't know what to think right now. I play lots of prog rock and I have a couple of 2x12 combos that could possibly be used as cabinets (right?) in case any of that is true. I just wanted to to have the awesome versatile tones and the deep crunch of the Dream Theater Awake'ish tone.

I was also curious about the differences since I've only played the head - such a beast! I figured I needed a combo and that it would be more convenient.

Dibs if you're unhappy.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #11
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

It's a huge mistake. I recommend you call the company right away and get them to redirect delivery to my house. You can thank me later man.

Seriously though if you're worried about projection buy a decent 2x12 cab

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #12
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:

Keep in mind you can really suck your tone out if you have the volume wrong. There is a right way and a wrong way.. (Bedroom volumes)

Keep the effects loop active- this give you a master volume. If its off the master volume is bypassed. You can play in the 90w mode at low levels and still have great tone. Just keep the channel volume up and the master a little low. Play around and find your sweet spot.

Channels 1&2 sound great in 10w(class A) as it really colors the sound with nice warm harmonics.

Channel 3 you want to keep in 90w mode for the mk iv setting. The mkIIC+ in 10w ClassA with a neck pick-up selected is the fattest warmest lead tone I have heard. Simply amazing. Not good for rhythm(for rhythym keep it on 90w).

Also the fan is quiet. I would recommend keeping it on.

Last edited by R45VT : 09-06-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
MegaDTSX

Thanks guys. I'm just crazy with anxiety issues and I'm really anxious for it (supposedly arriving on Friday) and read a lot of older threads over there that just made me think about it.

I'll post a gear day thread either Friday or Saturday night once I've gotten it started out.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
icronic

I wouldn't say it's a mistake... The Mark V combo is an awesome amp and it will definitely get you the tones you want.

That said, it's not quite as awesome as a head/cab setup. Many people attribute this to the fact that it's opened back and uses a C90 speaker instead of a V30.. That said I regularly run my Mark through a Lonestar 2x12 and a 2x12 3/4 back both of which run on C90s. Maybe the extra speaker helps or maybe the small size of the combo gives it a stiffer feeling... It's hard to say. No matter how you look at it, you're never going to get the sound of a 4x12 cab out of a 1x12 combo.

Your options:
Cancel order, get head and cab
Go through with order add extension cab later
Go through with order and enjoy.

Bear in mind when you play gigs you'll most likely be mic'd.. So while the stage sound will suffer the front of house sound will be approximately the same as it would with any cab using the same speakers.

The real question... Can you stand the thought of transporting the combo around? Last I checked it was 90 something pounds, where the head only clocks in at about 40-45lbs and a 2x12 cab is between 50-60lbs... That was the real deciding factor for me.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Make sure you have pics and a review for the NAD.

Feel free to bump this thread if you have any questions on it once you get it. You can also send a PM and I'd be happy to answer if I can.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

hope you ordered the casters and some ramps.

better grab a dolly as well unless you are superhuman strong.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #17
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
I wouldn't say it's a mistake... The Mark V combo is an awesome amp and it will definitely get you the tones you want.

That said, it's not quite as awesome as a head/cab setup. Many people attribute this to the fact that it's opened back and uses a C90 speaker instead of a V30.. That said I regularly run my Mark through a Lonestar 2x12 and a 2x12 3/4 back both of which run on C90s. Maybe the extra speaker helps or maybe the small size of the combo gives it a stiffer feeling... It's hard to say. No matter how you look at it, you're never going to get the sound of a 4x12 cab out of a 1x12 combo.

Your options:
Cancel order, get head and cab
Go through with order add extension cab later
Go through with order and enjoy.

Bear in mind when you play gigs you'll most likely be mic'd.. So while the stage sound will suffer the front of house sound will be approximately the same as it would with any cab using the same speakers.

The real question... Can you stand the thought of transporting the combo around? Last I checked it was 90 something pounds, where the head only clocks in at about 40-45lbs and a 2x12 cab is between 50-60lbs... That was the real deciding factor for me.

It is heavy. Weighs as much as most 2x12s. I really think it does weigh 90lbs.

Still the open backed 1x12 isn't a deal breaker. He has a 2x12 if he feels the need.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
hope you ordered the casters and some ramps.

better grab a dolly as well unless you are superhuman strong.

It comes with casters that slide in and out of place. Also rubber bottoms for when the casters are off.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake

Oh it's easily 90+ pounds.

I had an electradyne combo. one little handle right on the top.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #20
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
Oh it's easily 90+ pounds.

I had an electradyne combo. one little handle right on the top.

After I lugged that thing in and out of the car a half dozen times I need to go to the chiropractor. No joke. Don't plan on walking long distances carrying that.

And that handle... it needs side handles not the dinky top one.

Rate This Thread: