Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
itzkpanda
I'm a panda

PRS SE Tremonti vs SE Singlecut vs SE Santana

Can anyone explain the difference in sound and feel between these 3 guitars? (aside from the obvious differences that can be seen on PRS's website such as frets, neck profile, shape, etc).

And how much darker does the tremonti sound compared to the SE Singlecut?
Thanks

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
itzkpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
PRS Fan 97
Wannabe Producer

the singlecut is going to feel basically exactly the same as the Tremonti. same frets, same body, SE's single cutaway models don't get very diverse. The Santana's body on the other hand will feel different from the other 2 guitars, although the neck will feel the same. Sound wise they probably will all sound pretty much the same, unless they don't have the stock pickups.
PRS Fan 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
baumaxx1
Prog. Addict

The Tremonti has hotter pickups and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. The Santana is a shorter scale length for more expressive playing. The standard is really in-between, but you can look into the Korina model which is meant to have a bit of a sweeter and more responsive sound than the mahogany.
baumaxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Zakkcd
Piss a Brick!

Tremonti has a thinner neck, also, while the Santana has the fattest

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Zakkcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Personally, I found the SE line to be marginally better than Epi and not much better than the MIM Fenders. I can't say much about what other countrys' prices are like but in Canada PRS SE's are priced well above EPIs and MIMs (~1000 CAD) and you can practically get a American Standard Strat for the price of an SE. For $1150 CAD I can get a new Gibson Flying V which is very tempting to me.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
samjbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
Personally, I found the SE line to be marginally better than Epi and not much better than the MIM Fenders. I can't say much about what other countrys' prices are like but in Canada PRS SE's are priced well above EPIs and MIMs (~1000 CAD) and you can practically get a American Standard Strat for the price of an SE. For $1150 CAD I can get a new Gibson Flying V which is very tempting to me.

Your area must have unfortunate pricing :/ I can get a new PRS SE for around $600-700 depending on the model. Only the SE Torero breaches the $1000 mark.

Edit: Where I live, in Southern Ontario.
samjbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
PRS Fan 97
Wannabe Producer

yeah forgot to mention more controls on the tremonti. Does the Santana really have a fatter neck? I have played on once, and it seemed like it felt the same as the other SEs
PRS Fan 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
itzkpanda
I'm a panda

Is the Tremonti's pickups substantially darker than the Singlecuts? Because I wanted one for Praise & Worship for my praise team. (Most of the bands we cover use PRS or Les Pauls. Some strats and teles, but yeah).

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000
-Boss Tu-3 Tuner -> Joyo Vintage Overdrive -> Joyo Vintage Ultimate Overdrive -> Ernie Ball MVP -> TC Nova Repeater
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
n1ckn1ce
Slight douchebag.

First off, I played all three. They all have the same neck carve, except that the Santana has a shorter scale.

The SC and the Tremonti plays and feel exacty the same. If i gave you one of those, without telling wich one it is, you wouldn't now unless you touch the controls. That brings me to their main difference, their sound. The Tremonti is really good sounding with distortion for rythms and riffs, and has an interesting tone soloing, but when it comes to cleans, it definately lack articulation and clarity. Trust me, you don't want to roll of that tone knob. The Singlecut, however, is a much better sounding clean guitar, yet its a ad more shrilly on distorded sounds, but that can be fixed with the tone knob.

The Santana is a totally different beast. It sounds bigger, du to the thickness of the body and the maple cap, yet it sounds clearer and more define. But you don't want to distord it too much, its not a hard rock/metal guitar. Still, a light overdrvie is always nice, and it logocally pulls of Santanaesque tones very well. The shorter scale makes it cumtuer to play for me, but you might not like it. I really enjoy smaller scales.

And something you might want to know, the frets on this are smaller than most 'metal' brands. I was to my Schecter, and those little things were really of a different feel, especially up high the fretboard. I like it, some might not.

Since when do you fingerpick?

I ran out of picks last night.
n1ckn1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
itzkpanda
I'm a panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ckn1ce
First off, I played all three. They all have the same neck carve, except that the Santana has a shorter scale.

The SC and the Tremonti plays and feel exacty the same. If i gave you one of those, without telling wich one it is, you wouldn't now unless you touch the controls. That brings me to their main difference, their sound. The Tremonti is really good sounding with distortion for rythms and riffs, and has an interesting tone soloing, but when it comes to cleans, it definately lack articulation and clarity. Trust me, you don't want to roll of that tone knob. The Singlecut, however, is a much better sounding clean guitar, yet its a ad more shrilly on distorded sounds, but that can be fixed with the tone knob.

The Santana is a totally different beast. It sounds bigger, du to the thickness of the body and the maple cap, yet it sounds clearer and more define. But you don't want to distord it too much, its not a hard rock/metal guitar. Still, a light overdrvie is always nice, and it logocally pulls of Santanaesque tones very well. The shorter scale makes it cumtuer to play for me, but you might not like it. I really enjoy smaller scales.

And something you might want to know, the frets on this are smaller than most 'metal' brands. I was to my Schecter, and those little things were really of a different feel, especially up high the fretboard. I like it, some might not.

Thank you. Guess I'll be going for the Singlecut then.

OH, and I completely forgot about the SE Custom 22. I heard that the se singlecut and the se custom 22 sound basically the same. Is that true?

Guitar Gear:
-Agile AL-2000

Rate This Thread: