Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
tele-man

1966 Fender Telecaster Guitar Value

I have a 1966 olympic white Fender Telecaster that is in pretty good shape. When I try to go to a guitar shop or music store to see what it is worth, the prices they seem to give me are kind of low and they are anxious to buy it. I heard from a friend that there is a show called the Texas Music Expo in October that will have Heritage Auctions giving free appraisals. Will they give me a realistic value or will I run into the same problem I have been having with guitar stores. The stores said my guitar is worth around $2500-$3000, it is all original, even the case. I think it should be worth more, any suggestions?
tele-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

I'd say $4000 if it is in nice shape.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
agentfancy

Do you have pics sir?
agentfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Robbgnarly

have it aprased by pros and you'll know.

My friend has a '57 LP standardand he has asked a few times what it was worth at shops the best answer he ever got was " We'll give you $5000 cash and your choice of guitars in the store". He then actually had it apaised at a Guitar show and they put a $27,000 value on it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
'93

well you have to remember they have to sell it as well so theyre gonna give you less for it. seeing as its not pre-cbs id say about 4k-5k. maybe a bit more
'93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

a guy i play with has a '66 tele, he bought it new (in 1966 yea he is pretty old). it was a blonde, but there isnt a spec of paint left on it. its been his main guitar since then its truly road worn, its been around the world multiple times. i play it here and there and it plays like butter. he has some more 60's teles and one strat but he never brings them out. i have played every one of his guitars he has brought over

defiantly a cool thing to play much less have.

are you sure you want to sell it? prices for vintage guitars are down so far now. is it of sentimental value? there isn't such a thing more painful selling something you may miss and regret for the rest of life/playing.

its funny one of my guitars i bought off of TGP the guy has tried to buy it back from me probably half a dozen times. i don't plan on getting rid of it, but i give him ridiculous offers and hasn't come up with something good enough yet.

just saying to think a second time.

here is generally not the best place to get something appraised. i don't know but i can't imagine who has played something as amazing as that guitar.

i don't think you should take advice from any of us because first off it would have to be authenticated and certified to even sell for the right price. pickups matter, pots and caps matter, etc. we would have to see everything. and sometimes there is a small detail that would warrant an increase of desirability.

good luck.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.

^yeah-I mean My Baja Tele is nothing special but I almost got rid of it. I think I would of have regret that so much today. It's my favorite guitar I own.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

I DEMAND PICS.

Also, 3k does seem pretty low, BUT, its not like its an early 50s broadcaster or nocaster, so its not going to be monumental. Plus its CBS, so it wont be worth as much as Pre-CBS Fenders. But go get it appraised and update us on it
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Quintex
Still Learning

Depending on actual condition a 1966 CBS Telecaster is worth between $2750 (good) and $8500 (for mint condition). Being Olympic White would add between 20% and 40% to the value.

So realistically if it has actually been moderately played and it is all original parts with no repairs or visible major damage it would retail around $5000. So if I was to make an offer to buy it from you, that would be around $2500 to $3000 so I could make a reasonable profit when I resold it. This would be if it was judged in Excellent (90%) condition which means a couple of dings, scratches and some overall wear. If there was a lot of belt buckle rash on the back, that would indicate more play time and lower the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
My friend has a '57 LP standardand he has asked a few times what it was worth at shops the best answer he ever got was " We'll give you $5000 cash and your choice of guitars in the store". He then actually had it apaised at a Guitar show and they put a $27,000 value on it.

I guess his had the P90 pickups on it, if they were humbuckers it would have been worth about $77,000.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)

Last edited by Quintex : 09-04-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Quintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGuitarHero
^yeah-I mean My Baja Tele is nothing special but I almost got rid of it. I think I would of have regret that so much today. It's my favorite guitar I own.

Yeah but Baja Telecasters are special. Some of the best guitars under a grand.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
a guy i play with has a '66 tele, he bought it new (in 1966 yea he is pretty old). it was a blonde, but there isnt a spec of paint left on it. its been his main guitar since then its truly road worn, its been around the world multiple times. i play it here and there and it plays like butter. he has some more 60's teles and one strat but he never brings them out. i have played every one of his guitars he has brought over

defiantly a cool thing to play much less have.

are you sure you want to sell it? prices for vintage guitars are down so far now. is it of sentimental value? there isn't such a thing more painful selling something you may miss and regret for the rest of life/playing.

its funny one of my guitars i bought off of TGP the guy has tried to buy it back from me probably half a dozen times. i don't plan on getting rid of it, but i give him ridiculous offers and hasn't come up with something good enough yet.

just saying to think a second time.

here is generally not the best place to get something appraised. i don't know but i can't imagine who has played something as amazing as that guitar.

i don't think you should take advice from any of us because first off it would have to be authenticated and certified to even sell for the right price. pickups matter, pots and caps matter, etc. we would have to see everything. and sometimes there is a small detail that would warrant an increase of desirability.

good luck.

i've played many now vintage guitars over the years (owned a couple as well). you are right though this isn't really the best forum to get any kind of real answer though. no pix so right there it's impossible to do more than guess. appraisals only get you so far though. the market is really soft and that is a CBS era guitar so not as desirable as the pre stuff.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintex
I guess his had the P90 pickups on it, if they were humbuckers it would have been worth about $77,000.

No it has HB's but his dad had it refinished in the early 70's from a sunburst to a blond top.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: