Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
tele-man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
1966 Fender Telecaster Guitar Value

I have a 1966 olympic white Fender Telecaster that is in pretty good shape. When I try to go to a guitar shop or music store to see what it is worth, the prices they seem to give me are kind of low and they are anxious to buy it. I heard from a friend that there is a show called the Texas Music Expo in October that will have Heritage Auctions giving free appraisals. Will they give me a realistic value or will I run into the same problem I have been having with guitar stores. The stores said my guitar is worth around $2500-$3000, it is all original, even the case. I think it should be worth more, any suggestions?
tele-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!
 
Most_Triumphant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I'd say $4000 if it is in nice shape.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
agentfancy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Do you have pics sir?
agentfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
have it aprased by pros and you'll know.

My friend has a '57 LP standardand he has asked a few times what it was worth at shops the best answer he ever got was " We'll give you $5000 cash and your choice of guitars in the store". He then actually had it apaised at a Guitar show and they put a $27,000 value on it.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
'93
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
well you have to remember they have to sell it as well so theyre gonna give you less for it. seeing as its not pre-cbs id say about 4k-5k. maybe a bit more
'93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
a guy i play with has a '66 tele, he bought it new (in 1966 yea he is pretty old). it was a blonde, but there isnt a spec of paint left on it. its been his main guitar since then its truly road worn, its been around the world multiple times. i play it here and there and it plays like butter. he has some more 60's teles and one strat but he never brings them out. i have played every one of his guitars he has brought over

defiantly a cool thing to play much less have.

are you sure you want to sell it? prices for vintage guitars are down so far now. is it of sentimental value? there isn't such a thing more painful selling something you may miss and regret for the rest of life/playing.

its funny one of my guitars i bought off of TGP the guy has tried to buy it back from me probably half a dozen times. i don't plan on getting rid of it, but i give him ridiculous offers and hasn't come up with something good enough yet.

just saying to think a second time.

here is generally not the best place to get something appraised. i don't know but i can't imagine who has played something as amazing as that guitar.

i don't think you should take advice from any of us because first off it would have to be authenticated and certified to even sell for the right price. pickups matter, pots and caps matter, etc. we would have to see everything. and sometimes there is a small detail that would warrant an increase of desirability.

good luck.
__________________
FRYETTE SIG-X
SPLAWN KT88 NITRO
SPLAWN KT88 PROMOD
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
RealGuitarHero
Just Call Me Zacch.
 
RealGuitarHero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
^yeah-I mean My Baja Tele is nothing special but I almost got rid of it. I think I would of have regret that so much today. It's my favorite guitar I own.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
RealGuitarHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!
 
nickdohle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I DEMAND PICS.

Also, 3k does seem pretty low, BUT, its not like its an early 50s broadcaster or nocaster, so its not going to be monumental. Plus its CBS, so it wont be worth as much as Pre-CBS Fenders. But go get it appraised and update us on it
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Quintex
Still Learning
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Depending on actual condition a 1966 CBS Telecaster is worth between $2750 (good) and $8500 (for mint condition). Being Olympic White would add between 20% and 40% to the value.

So realistically if it has actually been moderately played and it is all original parts with no repairs or visible major damage it would retail around $5000. So if I was to make an offer to buy it from you, that would be around $2500 to $3000 so I could make a reasonable profit when I resold it. This would be if it was judged in Excellent (90%) condition which means a couple of dings, scratches and some overall wear. If there was a lot of belt buckle rash on the back, that would indicate more play time and lower the value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
My friend has a '57 LP standardand he has asked a few times what it was worth at shops the best answer he ever got was " We'll give you $5000 cash and your choice of guitars in the store". He then actually had it apaised at a Guitar show and they put a $27,000 value on it.

I guess his had the P90 pickups on it, if they were humbuckers it would have been worth about $77,000.
__________________
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)

Last edited by Quintex : 09-04-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Quintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
 
WholeLottaIzzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a cave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGuitarHero
^yeah-I mean My Baja Tele is nothing special but I almost got rid of it. I think I would of have regret that so much today. It's my favorite guitar I own.

Yeah but Baja Telecasters are special. Some of the best guitars under a grand.
__________________
The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad.
WholeLottaIzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
monwobobbo
Registered User
 
monwobobbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: scottsville ny
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
a guy i play with has a '66 tele, he bought it new (in 1966 yea he is pretty old). it was a blonde, but there isnt a spec of paint left on it. its been his main guitar since then its truly road worn, its been around the world multiple times. i play it here and there and it plays like butter. he has some more 60's teles and one strat but he never brings them out. i have played every one of his guitars he has brought over

defiantly a cool thing to play much less have.

are you sure you want to sell it? prices for vintage guitars are down so far now. is it of sentimental value? there isn't such a thing more painful selling something you may miss and regret for the rest of life/playing.

its funny one of my guitars i bought off of TGP the guy has tried to buy it back from me probably half a dozen times. i don't plan on getting rid of it, but i give him ridiculous offers and hasn't come up with something good enough yet.

just saying to think a second time.

here is generally not the best place to get something appraised. i don't know but i can't imagine who has played something as amazing as that guitar.

i don't think you should take advice from any of us because first off it would have to be authenticated and certified to even sell for the right price. pickups matter, pots and caps matter, etc. we would have to see everything. and sometimes there is a small detail that would warrant an increase of desirability.

good luck.


i've played many now vintage guitars over the years (owned a couple as well). you are right though this isn't really the best forum to get any kind of real answer though. no pix so right there it's impossible to do more than guess. appraisals only get you so far though. the market is really soft and that is a CBS era guitar so not as desirable as the pre stuff.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintex
I guess his had the P90 pickups on it, if they were humbuckers it would have been worth about $77,000.

No it has HB's but his dad had it refinished in the early 70's from a sunburst to a blond top.
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.