Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
NikBvbSixx

Good amps for playing metal?

I heard line 6 is good but i only got $120 to spend on a amp. And im not buying the 15 watt cuz i need to do band practoce so i need at least a 30 watt. Anyone know a line 6 over 15 watts somewhere for $120 or under? Paying with paypal?
NikBvbSixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

You aren't gonna find a good amp for 120 dollars. Save up, or go to a pawnshop and buy the cheapest piece of crap they have.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikBvbSixx
I heard line 6 is good but i only got $120 to spend on a amp. And im not buying the 15 watt cuz i need to do band practoce so i need at least a 30 watt. Anyone know a line 6 over 15 watts somewhere for $120 or under? Paying with paypal?

I understand your dilemma, but it's not going to happen.

You won't see much (any) low end line 6 love here, I'm afraid. Pretty much every other modeler (Peavey Vypyr, Fender Mustang, Roland CUBE) is superior at the same price point.

Either save your money or check Craigslist in your area for an inexpensive amp...
Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Florianvantuil

You could try to find a second hand Bugera 6260 combo or something like that. Our other guitarist got one for 100,- second hand.
- Ibanez RG570
- Ibanez 1451NC Prestige
- Ibanez Darkstone DN520K
- Ibanez EW20ASE

Amp
- Peavey 5150

My band Shade Of Hatred
https://www.facebook.com/shadeofhatred
Florianvantuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florianvantuil
You could try to find a second hand Bugera 6260 combo or something like that. Our other guitarist got one for 100,- second hand.

That's an amazing price, even for a Bugera...I wouldn't expect that to happen very often.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Florianvantuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
That's an amazing price, even for a Bugera...I wouldn't expect that to happen very often.

That's true, he was very lucky. The amp itself sounded pretty decent, but nothing compared to my 5150. The best option of course is to save some extra money for a good amp.
- Ibanez RG570
- Ibanez 1451NC Prestige
- Ibanez Darkstone DN520K
- Ibanez EW20ASE

Amp
- Peavey 5150

My band Shade Of Hatred
https://www.facebook.com/shadeofhatred
Florianvantuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Hey if you can round up annother 40 bucks and live in the states you can buy a used line 6 flextone from gc used. I'm actually tempted to get one my half stack crushes my buddies bass amp and I want something I can use to jam with him.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
sjones
UG's Analrapist

It's been said in pretty much every post so far, but seriously just save up more money and get a decent amp. There's nothing in that price range worth spending your money on.

Save up, and get an amp you're not going to regret buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Do you have an amp at all? If you're in a pinch, you can often find used Peavey Vypyr 30s for $100-120.

What is your current setup?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Vyper unless you can save up a few extra dollars. Line 6 Spiders are crap on a stick.

If you can get a few more bucks together go for a 6505 or a Vyper Tube 60.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
RStrat
Mustache Cash Stash

Double what you have and you can get a Peavey Valveking 112 or, like Cathbard said, a Peavey 6505+ 112 or a Vypyr Tube 60.
I recommend against a Spider, but I guess you could get by on it.
RStrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

The flextone goes for as little 100 used, if your lucky enough to live near that gc I suggested grabbing 40 extra because they tend to be very expensive to ship than you may have to pay tax. Its going to be one of the better amps you can buy under 200 hands down, its going to be managable in most situations you might need something bigger if you plan on joining a band with 100 watt tube amps, then there is a decent chance your going to a rehersal space anyway, live you can always mic your amp so size isn't that big of an issue so its really a matter of quality. TS what do you plan on doing with your amp bedroom playing? jaming? gigs?
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

If you're doing band practice with a drummer that's using an acoustic kit, 30w Solid State is not going to cut it. Like every other person has said, save up your money and get something worthwhile. You aren't going to get anything worth it's salt that will get loud enough for jamming with a drummer at that price. I know you probably just want to get a decent amp as soon as possible, but it seriously won't be anything but a waste of money. I was in the same situation and just impulse-bought a Marshall MG30DFX and I still kick myself in the head for doing that. Hell, if you could save up to $350 you could buy a brand new Orange Micro Terror and matching Cab. That's not your best option, but that's still dirt cheap. Do yourself a favor and save your money.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

I used to have a 75W spider III a few years ago, and I had to crank that thing up pretty high to play with a drummer. The 30W model is probably going to clip like hell (sound horrible) at those volumes unless your drummer plays with brushes, and has ramen noodles for arms.

Don't do it. I know what it's like to not have a lot of cash for gear, but you can do much better than a spider.

What's your max budget if you save up for a little while? $120 isn't going to be enough to get anything you aren't going to want to chuck out the window in a month.

What kind of music do you play?
EDIT: Derp, just realized that the title was "best amp for metal", but if you could narrow it down to a couple bands, or even a couple songs that have a sound like what you're after, that would help immensely.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes

Last edited by jpatan : 09-08-2012 at 06:39 AM.
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: