Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

My amplifier. It does this thing where it makes my instrument louder. It's pretty cool, I gotta say.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #22
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

I'd also like to add my guitar's tone knob. I used to be like most other metal heads that don't use their tone, but somewhere along the line I realized that you can get some really sweet tones from the bridge by rolling it off. And since I bought the Satch Mo'Joe/PafJoe combo, I'm even more in love with it. They roll-off beautifully.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

My isp decimator because I get my dirt from a pedal or if I want to krank the unholly shit out of my amplifier on a clean setting.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #24
I K0nijn I

The built in volume knob that acts as a boost and I can engage with the FS. Great feature.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
^How is the 147? I have been eyeballing one forever, but I am not sure I would really dig it. I know it is pretty much the "metal vetta" but is the amount of control just as impressive?
EDIT: skip all that, here's a tl;dr version: not as flexible, less options, the options it does have sound better though, it's built tougher, has none of the glitches, everything is arranged in a more convenient way for gigs and it's been tweaked to handle higher-output pickups better than the Vetta did. If you want to play with every tone and every combination of tones in the world, it won't be good enough for you. If you want an alternative & metal amp with much more control and flexibility than something like a Dual Rec or ENGL has though, the 147 is worth getting.

------------------
original post

Well obviously it's lacking a lot of the lower/mid-gain tones of the Vetta and the acoustic amp settings, it doesn't have the ability to run two amp models at the same time, you can't change what mic model is used on the cab simulation at the amp itself (though you can change these by plugging into a computer - or just disable cab modelling and run it to an actual cab, of course), there's no fancy screen to show you what's being used and you can't change where the effects come in the signal chain, they're basically all after the amp model no matter what. Some of the effects also have their modes changed automatically, like it always uses a spring reverb for the reverb when you have a Fender model selected, but it will always use plate reverb when you use a JCM800 and plain room reverb when you use the Dual Rec sound, for example. There's also none of the distortion pedal models.

However, it does make it quicker to dial in a decent tone, it doesn't have any of the glitches the Vetta were known for and they tweaked everything to work better with high-output pickups, so you'll never get any nasty forced ss clipping. Plus, though it seems like only half the amp the Vetta is, when it comes to gigging that's a good thing. 36 presets should be more than enough for anybody and it's obviously quicker than shifting through the 64 of the Vetta. It's also built a bit sturdier than the Vettas ever were, you have to really go out of your way to damage it.
Most of the things you have no control over, like effect placement and reverb type, have all been chosen pretty smartly and I don't think I've ever actually thought "boy, this would sound great if only I could select the other reverb" or whatever. The wah and volume are also much improved over the Vetta's versions, both are much smoother and the wah has an automatic volume adjustment to make it more useful for soloing.
The only problem I've ever run in to is setting delay time, since you either have to tap it in or just turn the knob with no indication of what time you're setting it too. Just have to play and see, tweak, play and see, tweak, etc. Similarly, it's not very well explained how the compressor and noise gate work, takes a while to get used to them.

I bought mine mostly just because I was really into Evanescence when I was 15 and they used them and I love Lacuna Coil who also used them for a long time, and I just wanted to nail those sounds as closely as possible. It certainly does that, in fact I immediately recognised some of the presets and I managed to ask the guys from LC which models they use and matched the missing tones perfectly. It's also a helluva amp for any 80s alternative and pop, ala Prince and The Cure. You can get some really good jazz and grunge tones out of it too, and I've played a few pop-rock/pop-punk gigs with it. Obviously it's not so great for classic rock and blues, but it's still far better-sounding for those than most modelling amps are simply by virtue of being built a little better.

I think if you go in expecting it to just be a cut-price Vetta then you'll be disappointed by the lack of some features. Similarly you'll be disappointed if you expect it to do an absolutely perfect Dual Rectifier impression right out of the box. But it sounds damn good on its own merits and it's more useful as a gigging tool. It's kind of ridiculous considering how many people dream about having a Marshall stack with a big pedal board, but mine barely gets any real gig use because the HD147 and FBV is just so much more convenient, flexible, reliable and sounds good enough that nobody has ever called me out for using a modelling amp until they've actually seen the Line 6 logo.

And it glows purple.

Last edited by MrFlibble : 09-07-2012 at 10:19 AM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
rocknroll93
UG's very own Convict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyman65
Delay pedal. I'm all about the echo. Can't live without it. It's not crazy, but some subtle delay can go a long way.

Chorus is pretty useful too for clean stuff.

this, and an overdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
rocknroll93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #27
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

God damn, Flibble. You couldn't PM that?
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
MrFlibble

No, I have U-G's shitty PM system disabled.

Hell, that's a pretty average-sized post for me. **** this Web 2.0, ten-word bullshit.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #29
tubetime86

There is something to be said for knowing how to convey your ideas in a concise manner.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #30
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
There is something to be said for knowing how to convey your ideas in a concise manner.

i am still learning how to do that

easily the most useful thing in my rig... pocket vagina. everyone should have one.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

Probably my EHX LPB-1. It's awesome. It's just a clean boost but it really adds some warmth and body to your tone as well as a lot more volume if you need it. It's easily my favourite pedal. So simple. Only has one knob. Only cost me £28 and it gets the job done absolutely perfectly.

I love my whole rig really. It just works perfectly for me. Nothing is ever gunna need upgrading.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #32
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
i am still learning how to do that

easily the most useful thing in my rig... pocket vagina. everyone should have one.

Now there's something I have to say I hadn't considered...
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #33
MrFlibble

Pfft, pocket vaginas. Modelling will never beat the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86

Funnily enough my editor is always telling me to write in more detail.
ed for space: obviously not, I write for a couple of magazines. I wish we all had editors on here. Maybe then people would actually pay attention to the ****ing stickies.

Last edited by MrFlibble : 09-07-2012 at 01:31 PM.
MrFlibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
tubetime86

You have an editor for your forum posts?

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
Perverockstar69

The gain pot of my amp and the vol knob of my guitars .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Pfft, pocket vaginas. Modelling will never beat the real thing.

Now that I agree with.

Although IIRC, you're the guy that uses his modeler as his primary?

Hmmm.....
Old 09-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #37
Offworld92
One among the fence.

My JSX and to a greater extent my Vypyr have absolutely amazing volume controls. I play in an apartment and I aint even mad.

Oh wait, they're 120W, I forgot I can't even play them in a house, TOO MUCH WATTAGE FOR HOME USE.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
ibanezguitars44

The ability of my pod hd500 to make me stop buying pedals. Really. Saves me so much money. hahaha

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
ibanezguitars44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #39
sjones
UG's Analrapist

The thing I like most about my rig is it's simplicity. It's essentially just my Ibanez RG into a Jet City JCA20H and a 4X12 modded Fender cab (has speakers from a Marshall), which is front ended by a MI Audio Blues Pro for my main dirty sound. The JCA is a single channel amp, so if I need clean-ish tones I just back off of my guitar's volume.

From there, I'll use a Digitech Bad Monkey to boost for leads as well as a wah sometimes. I'll on occasion add in a bit of delay to fatten things up in a dry room, but other than that the only things on my board are a tuner and Boss NS-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
R_Gallagher_Fan
Not RGallagherFan

Muff.
MY BAND-BAGELS
https://www.facebook.com/BagelsBand
R_Gallagher_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: