Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Jazzymetal420

Help Counting (again)

I had a thread similar to this a few weeks ago, asking for help on counting certain patterns aloud, i.e. 1 + a 2 + 3 e + 4 +, or something of the sort.

If someone would be so kind as to explain to me a simple trick to say or way of thinking in order to speed up the learning process maybe?

I just need help counting the foot pattern of these (the notes in the F on the treble cleft or the 36's on the tablature if that makes sense?)

1) I have found a video on youtube explaining this first beat and how he went about learning it, but he never mentions a way to count it other than "play straight 16th notes and add a beat after the the 1, and the 'a' of 1". Which shows you how to melt the first little triplet thing together, which flows throughout the first like 40 seconds of the song but stays in 4/4. When he practiced it he only played those 2 notes to get comfortable with the foot pattern while keeping the time and staying solid with your right foot. Following his procedure has helped me to get comfortable with the foot pattern to an extent but I am unable to learn them any other way then counting straight 16th notes, and remember which beat has a 32nd following it. I just feel there is a trick to counting this that might speed up the learning process.

2) another beat I'm lost on. that maybe someone can make sense in my head?

3) Thought i'd show 3 bars of this part. A lot of his drumbeats overlap into the next measure(or 2 or more) to resolve. This one appears to repeat itself on the "and of 2" on the 2nd measure.

If someone could "sound these out" I guess would be a way to put it, that would be awsome. I just feel like theres gotta be a way to read aloud the 32nd notes other than just seeing and fitting them inside of like a straight 16th roll to comprehend it.

I hope this makes sense to someone?

also....are these considered poly rhythms? or is there a special name for them since the beat doesn't fit into 1 bar? Some name i can read up on, to understand these rythms more?

Sorry for the novel.
Jazzymetal420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Just learn them slower. For example count 16ths instead of 4ths. So 1 beat is a 16th. You could write the same beat with 4ths and 8ths if that helps (it helps me, I'm much better at reading 4ths and 8ths). So replace every 16th note with a 4th note and every 32nd with a 16th note. So what you got here is a half of the original tempo.

The easy way is just to start slowly and count the 16ths or 8ths instead of 4ths. And then just speed it up. It's the same rhythm but just faster. If you figure it out slowly, it's much easier to play it fast. (Same applies for learning a song for example. You'll figure out the riffs and licks much easier if you play it slowly first.)

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: