Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
akuma_afterglow

Post New pickups for Death/melodic death metal

Hi Guys,

i would like to change my guitar pickups in my Ibanez Rg870gmz. i recently bought it and was satisfied with the tone for old school metal like maiden or judas priest, but then i started a new band and i felt the pickups were lacking some balls. i dropped my guitar to drop b because we're playing melodic death metal in flames style and while i am still satisfied with the highs in solos or melody runs, the bass is just to weak for me. for me the bass in riffs should punch you in the face and the old pickups just dont do the trick.
The guitar features an american basswood body with a maple top and a walnut/maple wizard neck with a rosewood fretboard. i am playing it trough a hughes&kettner triamp Mk I full tube top and a framus dragon 4x12 cabinet with celstion vintage 30's.
i'm not the greatest fan of active pick ups, so it would be nice to leave emg's out(especially because i dont like em). i thought of the diamarzio super distortion in bridge and the paf in neck position but i am concerned that this combo might be too vintage. so does anyone have any recommendations?

greets
akuma_afterglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
gman128

Duncan: Invader, distortion, patb-2
Dimarzio: d activator, x2n, d activator x, super 3, crunchlab
gman128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
gman128

^those are all suggestions for the bridge pickup - I'm crap at recommending neck pickups so i won't
Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #4
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!

What's wrong with a slight vintage sound? It would put a slightly different twist on it? A PAF might sound just right.

Like The Who? http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/thewhoclub/
Most_Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
stonyman65
Unregistered User

The super distortion and PAF PRO would be great for almost everything "metal". Also, get a 0.01 capacitor on the volume pot for a treble bleed modification.

The Dactivator bridge and neck models will be good to, as with the Steve's Special for the bridge and an Air Norton for the neck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
gman128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Triumphant
What's wrong with a slight vintage sound? It would put a slightly different twist on it? A PAF might sound just right.

PAF pickups tend to crap out under high gain and low tunings. - low end turns to mush.

You need something ceramic magnet based that has been designed with detuning in mind.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
akuma_afterglow

yeah thats what i thought. i had the d-activator in mind but im also crap in choosing neck pickups. i guess i'll take the d-activator bridge and air norton neck. thanks for the fast reply^^
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Pickup-tronix

In the bridge I would go with a Full Shred or Invader, something that can handle those crazy tunings. The distortion is pretty good but I dont know if its as heavy as you need. Then in the neck you could add a SH-1 '59 PAF or SH-2 Jazz Model. They both have sustain for days in the neck with gain. The Jazz is a little more dynamic and better IMO. Not sure if you use cleans much but I think the Jazz has better cleans too.

What gauge strings are you using?
Pickup-tronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Van Noord
Deactivated

Dimarzio DeActivators should suit your needs.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
akuma_afterglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickup-tronix
In the bridge I would go with a Full Shred or Invader, something that can handle those crazy tunings. The distortion is pretty good but I dont know if its as heavy as you need. Then in the neck you could add a SH-1 '59 PAF or SH-2 Jazz Model. They both have sustain for days in the neck with gain. The Jazz is a little more dynamic and better IMO. Not sure if you use cleans much but I think the Jazz has better cleans too.

What gauge strings are you using?

i am definitely going to play clean. i am currently using a daddario 12-60 but i might change em for a 11-56. i like thinner strings more because it feels alot better when soloing.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Shinozoku
UG Nerd

Bare Knuckle Nailbomb, or Black Hawks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magero
Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Shinozoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
bobafettacheese

I have a friend that swears by the Dimarzio crunch lab and liquifire pickups. As a matter of fact he just swapped them out of his Ibanez (it had EMG's in it).
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 AM   #13
Punisher23j

The new EMG JH set is absolutely phenominal for metal. Hell, I even use them to play Dethklok and I'm extremely satisfied with the overall tone I get.
Punisher23j is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: