Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
98Redbird

Not a new player, but new to understanding theory and how it all works...

I've been "playing" guitar for about 8 years. Understand basics, just kind of tinker around in my free time. Lately I've really been wanting to take it seriously and start to practice, study and begin to learn music theory, how it relates to the guitar, neck, etc... I want to understand everything, how it works together.

You look up lessons online and there seem to be so many starting points, I guess I'm confused on where to begin. Where to start. What's best to learn first and what route is best to take. I guess I'm looking for some guidance here. I am a fan of a lot of different types of music. Really enjoy bluesy type stuff though. Not at all into metal and shredding type stuff.

Out of the vast areas that I could start, where do you guys suggest?

Thanks
98Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

This website (UG) has great lessons. To find which ones are the best, from the homepage, go to the "lessons" box and click "+more". From there at the lessons page, on the left hand side, click "top lessons". These are the best lessons on UG, and in my opinion, some of the best (free) on the internet. The one ranked #3 titled "Learning Music Theory, The Beginning" is probably the best lesson to get you started, especially if you already have a vague understanding of theory. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/less..._beginning.html
The only thing I found somewhat confusing in this article was how he explained the circle of fifths. for a better explaination of that, I believe I left a comment on that article.
FenderBender72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

*update to my last post- I just checked for my comment in that particular link and it is the very last one. So if you need help on the Co5, scroll all the way down (theres alot of comments on that lesson)
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
98Redbird

Thanks FB72!
98Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
FenderBender72
The Bearded Warrior

You're welcome

Rate This Thread: