Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
ORANGE/MESA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Solo boost?

I've been looking for a way to boost my sig when i solo. i have a peavey 6505 plus head with a orange cab. i run a MXR EQ, Maxon OD 9 plus, decimator, boss DD3 delay, Wah, an a tuner. Cant stack EQs. maybe another OD pedal?? thought about compression pedals but nothing struck my fancy and i don't know if that would even help. Input please. thanks
ORANGE/MESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Why doesn't the Maxon work for boosts?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:35 AM   #3
ORANGE/MESA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
Why doesn't the Maxon work for boosts?

well i leave it on all the time to give it a little extra "bight" i discovered this because of killswitch engage. in my head it helps me hear "that right tone"
ORANGE/MESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
then get another boost. you could stack them or potentially (read about 90% sure) you could run it in your effects loop at a lower level. eppicurt would probably know for sure.


or the other thing i have done in the past is put an EQ in the loop and use that for a boost (MXR 10 band) and you can tweak that to your ideal boosted tone.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
then get another boost. you could stack them or potentially (read about 90% sure) you could run it in your effects loop at a lower level. eppicurt would probably know for sure.


or the other thing i have done in the past is put an EQ in the loop and use that for a boost (MXR 10 band) and you can tweak that to your ideal boosted tone.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
Attercop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Why can't you stack EQs? It's pretty much the ideal solution. If not ... get a boost pedal. They make them. For this purpose. They're called boosts.
Attercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
i am trying to get the tripple post gone. my computer is being stupid. ^^^

you can stack EQ's, but if you run another boost into the front end to another boost it may not be the best solution. i would think the EQ in the loop would be better.

you can stack boosts, SRV did it most of his career with TS's but he was using the first into a clean amp and the second to distort the first which was over the clean.

boost+boost+high gain may not do the best. maybe a clear boost before could help, the input but you can only tastefully put so much into the input and get ideal results.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
sacamano79
Fighter of the Nightman
 
sacamano79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: College Station, TX
If a 6505+ is like my JSX then on the back there should be controls near the affects loop plug in/out. Adjust these so that when you hit the "effects loop" button of your foot switch, it makes your volume increase and use this as your boost. You do not have to patch the effects loop with a cable btw.
__________________
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
sacamano79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
ORANGE/MESA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i am trying to get the tripple post gone. my computer is being stupid. ^^^

you can stack EQ's, but if you run another boost into the front end to another boost it may not be the best solution. i would think the EQ in the loop would be better.

you can stack boosts, SRV did it most of his career with TS's but he was using the first into a clean amp and the second to distort the first which was over the clean.

boost+boost+high gain may not do the best. maybe a clear boost before could help, the input but you can only tastefully put so much into the input and get ideal results.


this is true. thanks for all the input. the only reason i didn't think you could stack EQs is because my bass player said he tried it( he's a guitarist as well for another band) and it just clashed. i have the MXR EQ (its amazing).
ORANGE/MESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
ORANGE/MESA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attercop
Why can't you stack EQs? It's pretty much the ideal solution. If not ... get a boost pedal. They make them. For this purpose. They're called boosts.



ill look into them. any specific brand names. price is not an option
ORANGE/MESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE/MESA
this is true. thanks for all the input. the only reason i didn't think you could stack EQs is because my bass player said he tried it( he's a guitarist as well for another band) and it just clashed. i have the MXR EQ (its amazing).


run maxon out front and the EQ with increased gain and volume on the EQ in the loop and you can get your leads voiced how you want them.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary
 
sk8board3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario
I read in an interview magazine with Mark Morton (lamb of god) about his rig and he said (at the time atleast, I think this was pre-sacrament) that he uses a MXR phaser with the effect turned way low to make his solos cut through a little nicer. Its something I'm looking into myself
__________________
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
ORANGE/MESA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board3r
I read in an interview magazine with Mark Morton (lamb of god) about his rig and he said (at the time atleast, I think this was pre-sacrament) that he uses a MXR phaser with the effect turned way low to make his solos cut through a little nicer. Its something I'm looking into myself


cool
ORANGE/MESA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
The question nobody has asked is, "do you want the boost to add distortion or just volume?"
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #15
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary
 
sk8board3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE/MESA
cool


Just trying to help with an interesting boost idea, no need to be a ****
__________________
Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig
Fulltone
Dunlop
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board3r
Just trying to help with an interesting boost idea, no need to be a ****

Why bump this? Just to get the last word in? This thread ended a while ago.

Reported.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #17
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!
 
kyle62's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW England
EQ or clean boost in the loop.

Trying to run boosts into an already-distorted amp just saturates the preamp more and more and compresses everything, which is the opposite of what you want.
__________________
"I don't care about the things I leave at home, cause things can't really keep you company when you're alone"
Mark Sandman


Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #18
Mathamology
noise. MOAR NOISE!
 
Mathamology's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Derbyshire, England
Most effective boost I've ever used is the MXR 10 band EQ - offers volume and/or gain boost, and you can shape the EQ to suit the requirements of the boost. Never used it in the FX loop of my amp (mainly because my distortion is all board-based) but placed after distortion it did the job better than any OD-based boost I've used.

EDIT: Oh, I see this thread has been awakened from what should have been it's eternal rest.
__________________
Mathamology is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.