Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Matched Cabs vs Custom Cabs

Currently I'm using a Jet City 2x12 Cab, and I'm looking into picking up a 4x12 so that I can get more sound projection at gigs. My band has been playing un-mic'd gigs more often, which can be problematic for hearing yourself when you're anywhere that's not in front of your amp. I just recently found out that Egnater is releasing a High Gain series of amps and with those, they're releasing cabinets. Now, the cab that goes with my amp has "Custom Voiced Celestion Elite-75" speakers, but the HG series cabs have Celestion Vintage 30's. I know V30's are basically industry standard speakers for Metal, and I've always wanted a 4x12 with an X pattern of those and Celestion G12 K-100's. Now, if I get the V30 loaded cab, I can take the extra speakers and put them in my 2x12 as an upgrade for those speakers if I decide to put the K-100s in. However, would I be better off getting the Cab that is supposed to be voiced for my amp?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I know V30's are basically industry standard speakers for Metal, and I've always wanted a 4x12 with an X pattern of those and Celestion G12 K-100's

many people like that mix. i'd say that would be a great setup. i never like the V30's much but i used G12K-85's for years, i have played them mixed together and it is a favorable setup.

Quote:
Now, if I get the V30 loaded cab, I can take the extra speakers and put them in my 2x12 as an upgrade for those speakers if I decide to put the K-100s in.

sure, the one thing you'd need to be conscious of is the impedance of the speakers. just make sure you do your calcs and pick the wiring necessary to facilitate you amp.

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html

http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html

Quote:
However, would I be better off getting the Cab that is supposed to be voiced for my amp?

screw that, get a cab that is voiced for You. i got a stock PPC212, liked the V30's for a couple weeks and decided i needed something else, so i loaded it up with a couple of webers and never looked back.

some manufacturers actually do 'match' the speakers with an amp pretty well, most just use V30's and are done with it. either way, i would fully expect any guitarist to spend some time and effort finding the speakers they like with their head.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
mespinos
Hamer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
screw that, get a cab that is voiced for You. i got a stock PPC212, liked the V30's for a couple weeks and decided i needed something else, so i loaded it up with a couple of webers and never looked back.

+111111111111111111114444444353535
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Or ...... you could just stick your 2x12 on a milk crate.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

I agree with everything Gumbi said, as usual.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
thetoneranger

i built a platform out of 1x10's with a 1 inch angle facing up for my 2x12 and it did the trick as fas as projection goes
thetoneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

you need to know what impedance those v30s are. g12k100s are only available in 8 ohm impedance, so you really want the v30s to be 8 ohm as well. (fell foul of this myself which is why i haven't tried the g12k100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
you need to know what impedance those v30s are. g12k100s are only available in 8 ohm impedance, so you really want the v30s to be 8 ohm as well. (fell foul of this myself which is why i haven't tried the g12k100)

wow, no kidding.

looks like there are a few K-100's at 16 ohms, but they seem to be OEM products. so you gotta be some huge buyer to get them.

if you wanna still give it a try, i'd say find a set of older G12K-85's, they are much easier to find at 16 ohm. in fact, i know someone right now with four 16 ohm G12K-85's he may be looking to get rid of.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ oh ok

Quote:

Old 09-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc

I'm pretty sure the V30 cab is 16 ohms, which means they're all 16 ohm speakers in Series Parallel...I don't think there's a way to get 16 ohms overall with 4 8 ohm speakers, is there?
Old 09-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ not that i'm aware of. or at least not easily. Yeah a 16 ohm cab is, odds, are, four 16 ohm v30s in series parallel (or parallel series ). I guess it could also be four 4 ohm speakers all in series.

but yeah that's the trouble i ran into too, my 4x12 is 16 ohms.

Quote:

Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Maybe I'll just stick with all V-30's. I mean, considering if I'm mic'd up it'll only be one speaker anyway, I'll only be getting my true tone when I'm not mic'd.

Here are links for the two cabs:

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterP...geance412A.html

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterP...esSelector.html
^I'm looking at the HG-412A
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Ian_the_fox
Banned

If you're buying cabs, ALWAYS go used. There's hardly anything prone to failing inside of one, and warranties are pointless, considering they can usually be fixed in 30min by yourself for less than $10, and the chances of something going wrong are VERY slim.

Look for a used Marshall 1960av. They're loaded with V30's and can be had for cheap.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

If you don't mind the aesthetics, you'd probably be better off from a financial standpoint just getting an Avatar 4x12 with the speaker combo you want.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

On the speaker topic, has anyone done a V30/V30/K100/T75 4x12? That seems like it would be a nice full range cab.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
ikey_

before you buy any speakers retail, check out WGS. they make a lot of celestion clones and unlike china made celestion, WGS are made in the USA. imo they are a better sounding speaker, and in many times tehy have various wattage offerings and tweak the speakers to correct complaints (like not make the veteran 30 / v30 clone so ice picky)

_________

personally, portability is big and i hate 4x12s. i would find the best sounding speakers with the highest SPL i could get and loud em in a closed back 2x12.

i would seal the back of my avatar and load it with like eminence wizards (popular and 103 SPL).

103 SPL compared to standards like 95 and 98 is a MASSIVE difference. big enough to beef up your cab and stand out in the mix.

in fact - i dont think i would use wizards in my amp at home because they would be louder, and my amp is already turned down so darn much.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)

Last edited by ikey_ : 09-07-2012 at 09:09 PM.
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

If your getting a 4x12, your going to need a trolley!

Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #18
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Have you actually tried sticking your 2x12 on a milk crate? There's a good reason people stick their amps on crates or stands. Your problem is probably less of a number of speakers issue than it is a matter of speaker placement.
Even better get yourself an angled amp stand. They are a bit of a pita with a head/cab though because you have to sit the head underneath the amp or beside it.
But seriously, before you go spending a heap of money, try simply getting what you have off the ground.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Portability is no concern of mine. I'm a rather large, beefy individual, and I have no problems carrying large weights like that. My last job was making 1-piece vinyl bus floors, which consisted of 2 sides that were 92 pounds each when rolled up, and the floor was usually around 250lbs, and we had o move those around all day. Hell, I normally transport my 2x12 and head at the same time, one in each hand.

The reason I was looking at these two cabs is I would like to get an Egnater cab so that my head and cab match. I would rather buy new in this case, because then I'm supporting the company, whereas buying used doesn't do them any good. It bothers me that Americans are so obsessed with buying used, then bitch about the economy. It sucks because you have to spend more money and maybe wait longer, but it'll suck more when the company goes out of business due to lack of sales. The automobile industry is a great example of this. However, amp companies aren't going to be getting a government bailout.

ikey, thanks for the suggestion, but if I want V30's, I'm most likely going to just get the real thing. I'm not 100% decided on them, but if I don't get the real thing, there's always gonna be that doubt in my head that they aren't the same and sound difference and are inferior. I'll look into them still, for sure, but I'm not gonna buy a clone just because it's a clone. However, if I hear samples/demos and am digging the WGS sound more, I'll probably go with them. The fact that they attempt to improve upon the original is an interesting idea. I have considered Eminence, and when I was looking into them, I believe I was considering a Wizard/Swamp Thang X pattern. However, I'm concerned about going too bassy because our bassist is currently having issues cutting through the mix. I'll wait for that issue to play out before I decide, though.

Thanks, for the replies, guys. There's a lot of good info here...keep it coming!

If it helps at all, my biggest issue with the JCA Cab is that it's a bit heavy on the lower-mids, pretty bass-heavy, and almost a bit muddy sometimes. I'm fairly certain it's the cab from using the direct out on the back, but come to think of it, my band's other guitarist has a Mesa Rectoverb and Mesa 2x12, and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Mesa exclusively use V30's for their Recto Cabs? If so, I'm stupid and should have tried his cab months ago...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Have you actually tried sticking your 2x12 on a milk crate? There's a good reason people stick their amps on crates or stands. Your problem is probably less of a number of speakers issue than it is a matter of speaker placement.
Even better get yourself an angled amp stand. They are a bit of a pita with a head/cab though because you have to sit the head underneath the amp or beside it.
But seriously, before you go spending a heap of money, try simply getting what you have off the ground.

I've got industrial casters screwed to my cab that would make that risky, but they get it off of the ground a good 4 inches or so. I want a second cab anyway, and like I said in my last post, I kinda want an Egnater cabinet. on top of that, it would be nice to have a cab I could just leave in our practice space. My band is all located in Athens, whereas I'm in the Marietta area (about 45 mins away) and we would be meeting there for any practices or gigs, so if I could leave my 4x12 there, it would actually cut down on gear transportation. I also like the look of a 4x12 as opposed to a 2x12, and I would eventually like to have a full-stack just because they look badass. I realize sound is more important, but if I can get both, I would rather do that. Nothing looks as cool as walking back to your stack and getting in a wide stance right up to it to get feedback, then tearing off a sexy lick with tons of sustain. Considering my band strives to be known for our energetic, interesting, and badass stage performance, it's an important thing for us. I would rather get the functionality and look than to get functionality while looking more ghetto than we already do.

However, I'm probably gonna try to elevate it on something until I upgrade.

Rate This Thread: