Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
asdaven

Pickups for SRV Stratocaster

Hi-
I have a SRV stratocaster and I want to change out the Texas Special pickups to something else. The Texas Specials are good for the Stevie Ray Vaughn tone, but now that ive drifted more into playing country, I find them kind of dark and muddy sounding, and harsh when played with a lot of gain. So, im looking for a set of pickups that would be brighter and more transparent and handle gain better. Now, im not playing metal, but like Rock and roll or todays modern country. I really like the sound of a overdriven telecaster a lot. But, im not looking to make my strat sound like a tele, since I will prolly get a Tele down the road. But, just brighter and more transparent, but still with that classic vintage stratocaster sound. Would the Fender Vintage Noiseless be a good choice? A big problem im finding is when im playing chords with the gain on and I goto play a solo, my solo is drowned out. Plus, it just sounds harsh. I have the tone all the way up to 10 on the guitar, otherwise it gets real muddy ans tend to stick with the bridge or middle pickups. I have the pickups adjusted as close as possible to the strings. Should I back them off being overwound pickups and all? Perhaps I need a guitar setup too?
Thanks
asdaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
kurt_cobain9
UG's Favorite Creeper

if you would like the bite of a tele in the bridge while retaining some strat character, I recommend the DiMarzio Red Velvet. Also, Seymour Duncan Five-Two's were made for Nashville studio guitarists and they sound pretty good.

I've never played the noiseless series, but i've heard ups and downs about them. Many people say that they don't sound like a natural single coil and for single coil enthusiasts, it doesn't get the job done. if you want solos to stand out an stuff, put something hot in the bridge. mellow it out the closer you get to the neck. A lower output ceramic magnet or an alnico II would probably be awesome in the neck.

kurt_cobain9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: