Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

I use elixir nanoweb, and they last me months. Before I started using them, I used EB slinky's, and I'd be changing them out every 7-14 days. Double the money, but they easily last me 10X as long.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #22
MistaSnowman
Play it LOUD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatan
I use elixir nanoweb, and they last me months. Before I started using them, I used EB slinky's, and I'd be changing them out every 7-14 days. Double the money, but they easily last me 10X as long.

This! Last October I bought 6 packs of the Elixir 7-string sets (Just Strings had a sale on at the time.). Each of the two packs I've used so far, the Elixir's could've easily kept its tone over 6 months. I only change the strings every 6 months because I like the feel of fresh strings. Yes, Elixirs are expensive but they have great value in the long run. Needless to say that Elixir is the only brand I'll ever use.
MistaSnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Go try them?

You'll get people who love them and hate them. For example, I can't stand elixirs. But jpatan does. Does that mean they suck? No. It just means they don't work for me. You're better off doing a bit of trial and error to find what you like, luckily it's not terribly expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #24
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Do fat babies fart?

Are bullfrogs waterproof?

Is a pig's ass pork?

Just so there's no confusion, that would be a 'yes'...
Does a bear shit in the woods?

Is the space pope reptilian?
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
i think any faster wearing etc, is all a placebo effect. we have a new toy we are skeptical of, so we find reasons in our head to think of something.

"oh wait, i need to see if they wore faster....wait did i just, hear, i think i di.....yeah it wore out faster!!!!"

I thought Cobalts were awesome when I first put them on, and was shocked to find them wear out so fast. I wasn't skeptical at all, but now I have a firm opinion.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
If you play for an hour per day, you should be changing your strings at least every two weeks to keep them fresh.

well then I guess that makes me a month or two overdue doesn't it?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

There isn't a determined time you should replace strings. You should play what feels and sounds best to you, which for some (like me) is pretty well worn in strings. Unless you're dropping out of tune where then switch immediately.

EDIT: And there's a difference between worn in and losing all tonality, as the Cobalts did for me.

Last edited by bassmastamitch : 09-08-2012 at 12:31 PM.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

^Just saying, the difference could merely be that you don't like the sound of Cobalts when they are worn in. However, like I said, hit them with a dose of Dunlop string cleaner and they sound fresh again. I don't actually change my strings as often as I should. I know few players who do. However, in terms of corrosion, Cobalts take forever to form any kind of rust or discoloration compared to normal slinky's. They're just like any string you'll find - they have pros and cons. If you like the pros enough to overlook the cons, you've found your strings.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
ComradeNF

Just wanted to say you guys were completely right about GC. I thought maybe hey, they can't really be that bad. They were worse than I though. They basically stole my $60.

I called the guitar repair guy at GC in advance to ask questions and he told me the complete guitar tune up and set up would take an hour. I went in there, and he literally rushed through it in around 15 minutes. All he did was restring it, adjust the truss rod, and adjust the bridge. That's it. For $60. I could have done all of that myself. Over the phone he told me he would check the electronics and a bunch of other stuff too. He quickly rushed mine and moved on to the next customer.

I'm never giving GC my money again, even for a guitar. Their customer service is beyond horrible. Hopefully there will be a small guitar shop or something near Sacramento where I will be going to college.
ComradeNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #30
ComradeNF

Oh, and my strings buzz the same amount, if not more now... When playing unamplified of course. Is there any fix for this?
ComradeNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #31
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF
Oh, and my strings buzz the same amount, if not more now... When playing unamplified of course. Is there any fix for this?

Tap the frets with a rubber mallet.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Dr Sixstring
UG's Snips

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
I have, and they are pretty good sounding and feeling when you first play them, but wear out like nobody's business. Twice as fast as normal EBs. Too fast to warrant a $6 price difference of typical Slinkys (give of take a few bucks)

And regular non-cobalt EB's wear out/sound bad stupidly fast. Which sucks, because IMO EB's sound better then D'Addario.

2007 Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose Amp
Dr Sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #33
guitarguydm123

i Havent played anything but cobalts since they came out and i love them

Amp-
Micro Orange Terror W/PPC108 Cab
Peavey Vypyr VIP1

Pedals-
Digitech Metal Masters
guitarguydm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #34
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sixstring
And regular non-cobalt EB's wear out/sound bad stupidly fast. Which sucks, because IMO EB's sound better then D'Addario.

That's what I love about Eb. They dull quickly. I hate the sound of fresh strings.
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #35
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeNF

If it's only unamplified, why are you worried? Ever guitar I've ever played has at least some fret buzz when playing un-amped. If it isn't affecting your sound amplified or the playability of the guitar, then you're obsessing over nothing IMO.

Your best bet is to take it to somewhere better for a setup. If GC had done that to me, I would have demanded my money back on the spot and told them all of the things that you were promised for that price. Too often people get taken advantage of in the service industry because they don't have the balls to complain and demand value for their money. You are the customer, your word is law. If you were promised a service, paid for that service, then didn't get it and paid for it and walked away anyway, that's your fault, not theirs.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: