Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
EncoreBlade

Which od/dist pedal should I buy? (Joyo vs J&H vs Lovepedal)

Ok, on my neverending journey to find a good quality pedal at a good value, I found some good quality od/dist pedals in the form of the Joyo US Dream ($60), Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde V3 ($100), and the Lovepedal Eternity ($120). The latter two I saw at my local Guitar Center used. Right now I'm currently leaning towards the Jekyll and Hyde since the guitarist I'm trying to emulate the sound of uses it for his distortion as well as it being in the middle price range.

I have about $100 to spend at the moment so if I were to get the Lovepedal, it might be a couple months before I can buy it. I was hearing some PGS demos and that thing just sounds killer. And of course, I'm considering the Joyo since it's cheap and sounds pretty good.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater

Last edited by EncoreBlade : 09-09-2012 at 12:23 AM.
EncoreBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
ragingkitty
meow?

No experience with the Joyo, but it gets generally good reviews so far.

My experience with Lovepedal's dist / OD pedals is rather negative, noise to sound ratio is among one of the highest among OD pedals I've owned so far... which is rather disappointing considering:
1. their booteeq-ness
2. how they love to restrict pedal numbers by only producing limited quantities
3. their price point.

I've heard quieter MXR and Boss OD / dirt pedal. Hell, i've heard quieter pedals with scratchy connections.

Lovepedal - YMMV

Jekyll and Hyde - pretty neat pedal. Decent sounding, plus you get 2 pedals in 1. Although I don't really care much for their buffer. That said, for a dirt pedal, a buffer isn't always 1 priority, given your tone change once you engage it.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #3
EncoreBlade

do all lovepedals get noisy? Or rather how noisy does it get, especially for single coil users? I mean I'll get to try them out at the store, but it's good to know the pros and cons for everything. As for the J&H, have you tried the first, silver version? There's also the V1 there for about $80. I've heard some say that the latest (V3) J&H doesn't sound as good as the V2 version.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Old 09-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
losing battle
UG's Gummy

The v3 is much less noisy, there also is a slight gain difference so its a trade off but its worth if you are using a tube amp because it is a bit noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFromTheVoid
I don't want to be under 16 again, though if a sexy horse wondered into my room I'd have a hard time saying neigh
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Do you still have it Kitteh? Reducing the noise may be a simple matter of replacing the resistors with metal film ones. I don't know about that pedal specifically but you often find that bootique stuff will use shitty old carbon resistors because they have more "mojo." They tend to be noisy little shits though which is why most modern gear uses metal film now. Carbon resistors are little white noise generators.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Do you still have it Kitteh? Reducing the noise may be a simple matter of replacing the resistors with metal film ones. I don't know about that pedal specifically but you often find that bootique stuff will use shitty old carbon resistors because they have more "mojo." They tend to be noisy little shits though which is why most modern gear uses metal film now. Carbon resistors are little white noise generators.

I still have it Cath... the noise level made me despise the little poo-poo.

When I turn the tone controls up... it gets noisy. Although from my limited experience with the pedal, I think its actually a treble booster rather than a usual tone control.

When I turn the gain up... it gets noisy.

When I turn the volume up, I start hearing the background noise even more prominently.

Little piece of trud.

Its one of the pedals I regret ever hunting down.

You think you can do something to it Cath? I'm going to be down yonder in mid-October... possibly Sydney, Melbourne as well as Canberra. If you can work some magic on it... I can drop it off with you, along with postage fee back to Singapore.

( )( )
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

the joyo is an awesome distortion for the price. i picked it out for my drummer.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
EncoreBlade

As far as the lovepedal goes, since you didn't really identify which pedal it was, you are talking about the Eternity right? Just making sure about it. And so I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on going for the the J&H or the Joyo because I really do like the price of the Joyo, making it the biggest draw, but then again I like the features and sound of the J&H as well.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
I still have it Cath... the noise level made me despise the little poo-poo.

When I turn the tone controls up... it gets noisy. Although from my limited experience with the pedal, I think its actually a treble booster rather than a usual tone control.

When I turn the gain up... it gets noisy.

When I turn the volume up, I start hearing the background noise even more prominently.

Little piece of trud.

Its one of the pedals I regret ever hunting down.

You think you can do something to it Cath? I'm going to be down yonder in mid-October... possibly Sydney, Melbourne as well as Canberra. If you can work some magic on it... I can drop it off with you, along with postage fee back to Singapore.

I could always try. It's amazing what simply upgrading the quality of the components can do.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
ragingkitty
meow?

I own the Kanji9... but I've also tried a few Lovepedal OD/Dists like the Eternity... I think there was one other which was a supposed clone of the Klon (can't recall its name now) and another one a few years back.

From what I recall, they were't exactly silent, but my Kanji9 is plenty noisy. I'm quite sure if I took the others home and hooked them up, they wouldn't exactly be silent either.

I personally would never touch a Lovepedal again. Again never tried a Joyo - maybe cause I'm a little elitist about Joyos being copies... but the J&H is a neat pedal.

I recall trying the J&H in 2009 so I'm not sure when it was. I recall that the OD didn't have that "too much gain" feel that some ODs have. While the OD section was a little smooth for my liking back then (YMMV), the distortion side a little smooth and had a little too much grit for my liking. However, the distortion isn't over-powering that it covers up your amp's base characteristic... and overall, the feature-to-price ratio pretty good. Again the one thing that really turned me off was how the buffer sounds, but again YMMV. I personally don't think its much in terms of being a pro-level pedal, but for everything else, it's plenty good.

( )( )
Old 09-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I could always try. It's amazing what simply upgrading the quality of the components can do.

Great, I'll need to fix up my work appointments then get back to you on when I'll be around your parts... speaking of which... where are you? Perth? ACT?

( )( )
Old 09-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I personally would never touch a Lovepedal again. Again never tried a Joyo - maybe cause I'm a little elitist about Joyos being copies... but the J&H is a neat pedal.

er... isn't the J&H a tubescreamer combined with a shredmaster?

I mean, if you don't like joyos because they're copies, that's your prerogative. But it seems a bit inconsistent to complain about joyos for being copies and then praising other pedals which are no less copies (and which are more expensive to boot).

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
EncoreBlade

I read somewhere a while back that the J&H V2 and V3 had lifetime warranties on them? Confirm/deny? Does anyone know if the US Dream hisses at high gain? I got an American Sound and noticed it would get really hissy once you turn up the drive and voice, which isn't really bad for my use for it, but I'm kinda worried about the US Dream hiss factor.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Old 09-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Great, I'll need to fix up my work appointments then get back to you on when I'll be around your parts... speaking of which... where are you? Perth? ACT?

Bendigo. That's in central Victoria (about an hour's drive from Melbourne).
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 09-10-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Rate This Thread: