Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
christianonbass

That helped a bunch! I mentioned the old combo amp having 130 watts. It was VERY loud. Perhaps they used a different rating method back then. Thank you for mentioning that Peaveys have changed. I am a bit confused about this: Some bassists don't use an amp if they have good PA. Would I get away with low wattage (say 100) if I went through PA? I might be able to swing it if I dig up another 100 bucks. I hope 500 ($US) will get me by if I go used. I have seen (nice condition) Acoustic Combo amps for under that amount. I just want to get playing in front of people again. I even love worship music...you have to wing it a lot! You mentioned Geddy...I AM HOME! Thanks Spaz91! I feel welcomed
christianonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #42
Spaz91
Turd polisher

With a PA you could manage with a 10w amp! Geddy just used a Sansamp preamp straight into the PA and got a killer tone. A 100w amp will do you for very small gigs (cramped bars and churches) and will probably get you a nice tone into a PA (through DI or course.)

Here's a bonus pic:

Interesting "cabs" he has there.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #43
christianonbass

I've been eyeballing a BA115. It should do for practicing with drums. We used to think that "Miking" was better than direct. I think the conventional wisdom has changed since then! At a large church we were given direct boxes, and going direct seemed to work. I would love to have wireless just to go to the back and listen! Thanks for everything! I haven't even jammed with anyone else since '08, and that was just with fellow step meeting friends. I haven't done "Serious" gigs since the early 90's. That will change! I will find a good 100 or 200 watt combo for now and take it from there. I think it's most important right now to jam with others and get "Tight" again. Even playing easy tunes is good practice compared to playing at home. I don't really build my endurance playing alone!
Old 12-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #44
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Just one more thing to remember: a 4x10 cab will be louder than 1x15, almost twice as loud. A 15" speaker only displaces (roughly*) 2.5x as much as 10" speaker. This irritates me as I love 15" speakers and means I'll need more expensive heads.

(*It can vary a lot based on the size of the cone.)
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #45
christianonbass

A person close by my place has a couple GK RB400 heads. He will sell separately. They differ slightly. I haven't listened to them yet (claims they work fine) nor do I know when they were made (probably mid 80s? And one a couple years newer, just a guess). I believe they are 400rb , not RB111 or RB IV. Is there a big difference in the generations of GK heads. Is this something you would buy? Use? Use as a boat anchor? I would probably start with 212 cab or 410 if I am lucky. You know the pro's and con's of having separate components so I won't preach to the choir
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #46
Spaz91
Turd polisher

I'm afraid I really don't know much about Gallien Kreuger; all I know is to avoid the "backline" series.

Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #47
christianonbass

That did help! I hear the same
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #48
christianonbass

I believe this is under the "Cheapish rig" category: If you had to (or got to) choose between a single 15 cab or two 12s which would you pick? How about 2 10s vs. one 15?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #49
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Two 12" would push more volume so probably those, though I prefer 15" sound. 4x10"s have the highest output while 2x10"s have the lowest.

(The differences depend entirely on the manufacturing.)
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #50
christianonbass

I need some advice/info again. I am familiar enough with the Fender Rumble series to know that I am not buying one; but, I see some Fender Bassman amps on occasion (newer ones, not the gigantic 60s models). Some of the combos are within my price range. Are they superior to the Rumble models? Does anyone have experience with Fender Bassman amps? Thank you in advance. I appreciated all of the info I have gotten here!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #51
JustPhil
Not beautiful

Found a terrific bargain in the form of a 500w head for 220.
RedSub BT500H. I was a bit reluctant to buy a no name brand but after a bit of searching it turns out it's a rebranded Ibanez Promethean, I bit the bullet and bought it and I'm quite pleased with it.
The only niggle I can think of is the lack of pre/post-EQ if you DI it. I can't comment on reliability yet since I've only used it for one gig so far, but it sounds excellent through my 1x15 cab.

*edit*
Second gig in, I played it through a Warwick 4x10 and there was a horrible moment where it kept crackling but luckily it was just one of my leads that had died. The sound is quite mid heavy from what I can gather but there's a handy bass boost button with a knob to add a bit more bottom end to it, in conjunction with the EQ it's quite easy to reign it in and get the tone you want from it. The contour setting is complete arse so I don't think I'll bother with that, but overall I can't fault it.
It's not perfect but if you want a cheap head capable of holding its own at a fairly decent sized venue I'd recommend it, I've no reason to doubt that it's a 500w head so far.

Last edited by JustPhil : 02-15-2013 at 09:35 PM.
JustPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #52
bluewaters999

i was looking into the ampeg micro vr stack over the internet... for people on a budget who gas for the brand & a stack sized rig, this would have been good enough PROVIDED THEY CAME IN 2X12 CONFIGURATION & not 2x10........ has anyone tried out this model here? 2x10 cabs may be ok for bedroom or recording, but can it handle a band situation? i seriously don't think so, but i could be wrong.......
bluewaters999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #53
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Speaker size matters a lot less in comparison to wattage. Mini rigs like that are designed purely to look good in a bedroom, not be used live. Even with larger speakers, 100w would not be sufficient to compete with a drummer. General rule is 250/300w minimum to play live (which the exception of quieter gigs like a folk band in a small pub, etc.)

I'd never reccomend a 2x12 cab to anyone anyway, that would be a complete bitch to move around.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #54
Ippon
Amped

Thoughts about the Hartke 410XL and 810XL?
Old 05-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #55
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Okay cab, okay price. Nothing special. I used them all through last year on a course.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #56
bluewaters999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Even with larger speakers, 100w would not be sufficient to compete with a drummer. General rule is 250/300w minimum to play live (which the exception of quieter gigs like a folk band in a small pub, etc.)

i currently use a shitty solid state local made amplifier dubiously rated at 120W that actually is like 70-80W of branded solid state amps...... but i just get the job done at rehearsals with a quite loud drummer, a 50W vox valvetronix & a 30W marshall mg (yeah yeah a shitty setup, don't start, we're on a budget)..... & we're very much into medium/hard rock.... so i do not believe that u need so many watts as a minimum, at least for rehearsals...... but yes for gigging, unless u are mic'd, its another story altogether.......

Last edited by bluewaters999 : 05-19-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #57
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Thoughts about the Hartke 410XL and 810XL?

I've had one experience with a Hartke 410XL which was provided as backline at a gig I did a few years ago, I was very pleasantly surprised. Sat really nice in a band situation. It was with an Ampeg Portaflex, another piece of gear that I was using for the first time, so I'm not sure which (if not both) was responsible for how pleasant I found the experience, but were it a bad cab I'm sure that wouldn't have been possible.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #58
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
Okay cab, okay price. Nothing special. I used them all through last year on a course.

An acquaintance offered a minty (his description) 410XL for $150; so, should be worth a shot. Will check it out this weekend. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I've had one experience with a Hartke 410XL which was provided as backline at a gig I did a few years ago, I was very pleasantly surprised. Sat really nice in a band situation. It was with an Ampeg Portaflex, another piece of gear that I was using for the first time, so I'm not sure which (if not both) was responsible for how pleasant I found the experience, but were it a bad cab I'm sure that wouldn't have been possible.

That's very nice to know. I'm auditioning the 410XL this weekend with a Traynor YBA200 and a shiny Genz Benz GBE1200. I hope they play more than well together. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #59
bluewaters999

guys, this is alien to this thread, but there's something i'd like to get clarified about coz i am having some guys build me a small sized all tube custom bass rig...... i hear 1W (tube) = 3-4W (solid state)..... is this actually true? coz i used to think a watt's a watt, no matter what........
Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #60
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaters999
guys, this is alien to this thread, but there's something i'd like to get clarified about coz i am having some guys build me a small sized all tube custom bass rig...... i hear 1W (tube) = 3-4W (solid state)..... is this actually true? coz i used to think a watt's a watt, no matter what........

The wattage means how loud it can go without overdriving so a 100w tube guitar amp is great but useless for bass.

Rate This Thread: