Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #61
bluewaters999

if both the guitarists are running 15w tube amps, how much wattage will i need if i opt for an all tube bass? coz i gave this specification to those people & they told me that a 70W rig with 4x10 is gonna be more than sufficient provided i stay in bars & small clubs....

Last edited by bluewaters999 : 05-23-2013 at 03:43 PM.
bluewaters999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #62
Spaz91
Turd polisher

It's nothing to do with the guitars, entirely to do with the drummer.
Spaz91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #63
bluewaters999

loud drummer.................
Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #64
RockBassNow
UG Newbie

I'm in love with my Traynor 2x8 300W combo. Sounds great, is really lightweight, and powerful at 300W. I've used it in everything from rehearsals to playing 500 cap venues and have never needed more power. Check that one out for sure!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #65
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

I've got a Duncan SMB-4d pickup en route so that I can finally lose that horrid EMG-HZ pickup in my bargain-basement Schecter Devil Custom bass. Once I install it (assuming I don't make a mess of the job), it will qualify as a cheapo that is quite suitable for gigging.

My hatred for EMG-HZ bass pickups knows no bounds. Their sound is beyond merely sterile. It is downright soulless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #66
bluewaters999

How does the Warwick BC300 compare to Laney RB8? both are 300W....

i need suggestions.... nobody is giving me any suggestions..... not many brands are available in my area & i need to get an amp soon..........
Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Laney are awful, bane of the bassist in rehearsal studios. Warwick are pretty great.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #68
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Laney are awful, bane of the bassist in rehearsal studios. Warwick are pretty great.

+1

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #69
wasted-years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBassNow
I'm in love with my Traynor 2x8 300W combo. Sounds great, is really lightweight, and powerful at 300W. I've used it in everything from rehearsals to playing 500 cap venues and have never needed more power. Check that one out for sure!

yea i sport a lil Peavey Max 115 300w and its always been plenty i used to have a create 300w head with a 215 cab and this lil peavey combo blows it out of the water ....... mind you i figuured out the whole pluging strait to the pa after i got the peavey but still in rehearsal it keeps up with two halfstacks and a drummer hell bent on breaking cymbals
wasted-years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #70
americablanco
back to rabbit

Quote:
A different company altogether but essentially the American equivalent of Ashdown. The B series caters to all budgets including the aforementioned student/casual budget, this being the B300h, a 300w head and 410 cab (at roughly $350) or a 450w/210 combo at the same price. Both are nearly impossible to find in the UK and Europe as they are Guitar Centre's house brand.)
Just picked up a used B300h and 4x10 cab a few days ago. So far so good, but time will tell. The effects loop is definitely useful and my girlfriend says my playing is a lot less sloppy now (not sure if that's a good thing, lol).

Will submit a review in a few months or so.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
americablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 AM   #71
NosralTserrof
Damned

Someone has an Orange Terror Bass + 4x10 cab for $1,100 on Craigslist.

This good for someone who's a sorta guitar vet, and has experience with bass, but would like to try giging as a bassist? For rock/metal haha

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
NosralTserrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #72
Ziphoblat
Bass

The Orange Bass Terrors aren't bad. A few things to note are that they have no pre-amp volume, only gain, and it breaks up fairly early, so some people report issues with getting enough clean headroom, depends how distorted you want to go, and on the wattage of the head you're looking at is (most likely the 500 model). Bear in mind that the cabinet is probably 8 ohms too so you won't get the full juice from the head. The DI is also extremely hot and can often clip an input even with the gain set very low, so you may have to consider an attenuator to get the DI to a usable point.

I've never been particularly enamored by Orange cabs personally (the modern ones at least). They're very heavy, and don't seem particularly efficient, and there's nothing about the sound that makes that a worthwhile sacrifice. I think these days you can do much better for cabs, especially if you hate breaking your back when you carry your stuff around. All that being said, it would definitely be a decent starting point I'd imagine.

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 07-25-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #73
wowgold5
Banned

They have a pretty big record of guilds to surf through. I suggest going there is you are planning to discover yourself a guild.
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.d3joy.com/
http://www.sellgw2.com/
wowgold5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #74
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Spam bot reported.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #75
FunkyMonkey7812

Hey guys!
I'm in a progressive metalcore band and we're gonna start gigging soon, so I need a bass amp for it.
I'm willing to spend $1,500 (AUS) on the head/cab, maybe more.
I don't need something with a bunch of effects and whatever cause I would rather just use pedals, just something that's loud and sounds good haha.
I'll be playing a Ibanez SR505 through it if that helps with anything.

Thanks in advance!
FunkyMonkey7812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #76
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Just wanted to pop in and vouch for the older Peavey Combo 300 with Black Widow speaker.

They can be had for way cheap on craigslist, ebay, yard sales, etc. I got mine for $150, plenty in range of a small bass amp budget. It's in very good shape, but I hear no matter what shape these things are in they will keep kicking. Made in U.S.A.

Mine is an 1988 model, yet it has a broader EQ than most modern amps (8 band), two inputs (low gain, high gain), and even a bi-amping feature. 300 watts at 2 ohms (with the 4 ohm extension) and 210 watts at 4 ohms. The wattage doesn't seem impressive, but this thing is LOUD, extension cab needed only for added tone shaping. Jamming with my roommate banging on his drums quite heavily meant my volume knob was at 2. It's heavy, but not so much that it's impossible to carry, even up stairs.

The tone on this thing is quite bright. It gets impeccable highs coming from a 15 inch speaker, no horn/tweeter needed. The dude selling this amp had it labeled as a bass/keyboard amp and I can see why. The range on this amp is really only lacking slightly in the low end. That can be fixed easily with an added 15 inch cab or 4x10. My amp also has casters, which could be contributing to the slight loss of low end. I found it hard at first to find a warm tone, but once I learned to use the pre-gain and post-gain knobs in harmony I could get a decent warm-ish tone. The amp may benefit from a Sansamp if you tend to dislike brighter sounding bass amps. I only wish this thing had some digital presets because MAN you can really get a lot of variation from the EQ.

It's covered in tolex, a good thing for a workhorse amp. It has a semi-useable strap on the top, but I think anyone would be better off using a hand-truck. The grill is fabric.

All in all, this is a very good beginner bass amp. Heck, I'd even brand it as a good intermediate, and for the prices they fetch nowadays, they are a steal!

Note that this amp was reviewed based (pun not intended) off of a 90's Ibanez SR300DX. A very basic (another pun) and average bass. It has an active EQ, and the bridge quality is a step up from the modern beginner line.

Last edited by c3powil : 10-30-2013 at 12:53 AM.
c3powil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #77
Fisheth24
i swear on me mum

How loud does a bass amp need to be to be heard over two 100W half stacks?

Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #78
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Solid state? 300w, equal speaker coverage would be a benefit too.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #79
bloatedcorpse13
average 4 stringer...

Let me know what you think of my rig..
Hartke vx3500 350 watt 4x10" (paper cones)
Ashdown electric blue 180w 1x15"

Playing an Ibanez SRX500 (transparent black)w/ active cut/boost
Sometimes with Ibanez PD7 Phat head pedal (for sustain...)

I got both amps for under $1000 total new. I run the direct signal out of the Hartke, pre EQ. Does anyone see any issues here?
bloatedcorpse13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: