Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
nignog

Help me decide on an audio interface

So I'm starting to rebuild my home studio from super budget entry level stuff into some better, mid/high end stuff. I'm looking to buy either a Presonus Firestudio Project, or a Focusrite Saffire PRO 40. I've read around and it seems like the Presonus one has some driver issues and pretty mediocre support. So which one should I get and why? Are there any smarter alternatives? Thank you.

Last edited by nignog : 09-09-2012 at 01:47 PM.
nignog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
rokket2005
Benjamin

My band has a pair of the saffire pro 40's and they are great. You can chain them together without the need for an external clock, and they act as one interface too, if you need 16 mic ins for recording drums, etc. Really nice pre's, great overall units.
Here's a tune we recorded, and everything was through the saffire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3m7...player_embedded
rokket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

I use the firestudio PROJECT, as far as I know, there is no FS Pro.

Never had driver issues, I believe those claims are related to the firewire cards people are using with them. Texas Instruments is a must.

I would get the Saffire, as it has built in DSP for monitoring, sometimes simple effects/EQ helps when building separate monitor mixes.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:00 AM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nignog
So I'm starting to rebuild my home studio from super budget entry level stuff into some better, mid/high end stuff. I'm looking to buy either a Presonus Firestudio Pro, or a Focusrite Saffire PRO 40. I've read around and it seems like the Presonus one has some driver issues and pretty mediocre support. So which one should I get and why? Are there any smarter alternatives? Thank you.

i have heard this before, i also heard they drop products and don't support them. problem is i see no real signs of this. presonus is still a relatively new company, less than 20 years old, where is all this stuff they don't support anymore? right here

http://www.presonus.com/products/Discontinued-Products

most of it doesn't require firmware updates. some of the units that do, like the firebox, still work like a charm on my mac book with the newest OS.

all the 'issues' i have run into seem to go like this

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/7707.page

they seem to respond and give answers on their forums just fine.

i have been using their firestudio project for over 5 years (with 4 different operating systems), never had a problem (i posted an issue in this forum once, found i had my buffer too low ). i have recorded over 50 hours of music on their equipment, and it integrates as easy as can be. last year i bought another firestudio project so i can have 16 tracks, no problems.

that being said, i have heard many good things about focusrite, people who use their product seem very happy. seems like you'd do well with either one.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 09-09-2012 at 03:01 AM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
mespinos
Hamer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Never had driver issues, I believe those claims are related to the firewire cards people are using with them.

+1

I bought my firestudio project used about 4 years ago. Had small issues with my onboard firewire. Bought a $10 firewire card and never had an issue since. I've recorded probably hundreds of hours of practice material on there. No real issues.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
nignog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster

Never had driver issues, I believe those claims are related to the firewire cards people are using with them. Texas Instruments is a must.

I would get the Saffire, as it has built in DSP for monitoring, sometimes simple effects/EQ helps when building separate monitor mixes.

Yeah, I don't know why I typed Pro, even though I was well aware of this. Fixed anyways, and thanks.
nignog is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: