Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
pursuit

Lack of a bass player really killing us, should we just forge on without one?

So I move to North Carolina and complain the entire time; losing my friends, girlfriend, bandmates, I'll never find anyone that I get along with like them, classic complaining that looking back I feel like an idiot. So low and behold a week after I get there I hook up with a drummer and guitarist that are not only PHENOMINAL players but our personalities clicked in about 15 seconds. We planned out world domination of the music scene and set out to conquer the world.

Fast-forward a month and a half and we haven't found one bassist; we tried out two and it just didn't work out, and it's really starting to bring us down. We had so much energy when we first met and were absolutely gung-ho on this band, but now it's getting frustrating. The more songs we write, the more a bassist is going to have to learn, the more we practice the more we'll get used to not having one. The second guitarist thank God has a lot of connections here, so we could get a show whenever we feel ready, but without a bassist we really don't have the same attitude we came in with.

Should we just suck it up, keep writing, and wait til we find a bassist? Should we play shows without one? I know a lot of people rag on bassists the most (aside from drummers ) but I find them to be one of the integral parts of a band, they can fill in that low end like nobody else, and I just feel like if we start gigging without one it's going to bring me down knowing that it's missing.

And to get the obvious out of the way, we're all strapped on cash like its nobodys business, so buying our own and doing it ourselves is out of the question hahaha. Plus we write our music based on having 2 guitar parts so it'll detract from the sound we're going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirstpubes
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.

Last edited by pursuit : 09-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.
pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Yes you need a bassist. Look more.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
pursuit

I'd hate to bother you but any other advice on how to find one hahaha? I've tried Craigslist, Bandmix, Musicianaudition, Musolist, flyers at NC State, flyers in the city of Raleigh, flyers around town, my neighborhoods Facebook page. I think my only other option would be to stand in the middle of the city with a megaphone screaming "I NEED A BASSIST", and honestly I wouldn't even be adverse to trying that at this point! I just don't want the band to fizzle out soon you know?

Quote:
Forreal. Tingle was a baller just trying to make a living. He never gave up on the hustle.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
whywefight
formin like voltron

I think you'd have to just make do with one guitar and have the second guitarist do bass, because two guitars without that bass wouldn't do in my opinion.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
JenoUnion

Keep writing and looking for a bassist. You *need* a bassist.
JenoUnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Joshua Garcia
Santa Cat

Location: In space floating on a peanut butter and space jelly sandwich
You obviously can, but it will be rather challenging without the drummer keeping the bassist in sync with the solid rhythm.

I agree. Look more. Maybe post some wanted ads around guitar centers? Or putting out something on Craigslist? If anything, you can do some auditions online via Skype.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit
I'd hate to bother you but any other advice on how to find one hahaha? I've tried Craigslist, Bandmix, Musicianaudition, Musolist, flyers at NC State, flyers in the city of Raleigh, flyers around town, my neighborhoods Facebook page. I think my only other option would be to stand in the middle of the city with a megaphone screaming "I NEED A BASSIST", and honestly I wouldn't even be adverse to trying that at this point! I just don't want the band to fizzle out soon you know?

That's pretty tough. I wouldn't know where else to look. Sorry bro!

Last edited by Joshua Garcia : 09-09-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Joshua Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Edit:
That's pretty tough. I wouldn't know where else to look. Sorry bro!

I know haha, we started out with a standard ad detailing what we wanted, and at this point the ad basically consists of two points; are you 18-21, and can you play a bass x)

Quote:
Old 09-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
I think you'd have to just make do with one guitar and have the second guitarist do bass, because two guitars without that bass wouldn't do in my opinion.

I'd go with this. You'll go further with one bass player and one guitar then two guitars and no bassist.

It's normally easier to find a guitarist anyway.

You just gotta "swallow your pride" because I know lots of people (incorrectly) feel that bass is somehow inferior to guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!

With these two bass players you can't be picky. That's my advice for you. Don't be picky. Remember that people will improve when they are in the band. Since I started a band one month ago my guitar skills have increased majorly.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
pursuit

Bla-bla-bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit2006
With these two bass players you can't be picky. That's my advice for you. Don't be picky. Remember that people will improve when they are in the band. Since I started a band one month ago my guitar skills have increased majorly.

Well here's the story with the 2; first one was a flake, strictest sense of the word, he could barely play, and it would take him more time to catch up skill wise than would be worth it.

The second was a 21 year old guy we met off CL, and this was his deal. First off he graduated from NC State a year early, with a degree in math, so he's definitely up there in the smarts department. Right now hes unemployed, and straight of the bat told us that he was doing this because he was bored without a job. So we could kind of gauge that as soon as a job came his way he would be out. He also said he doesn't like to write music and he wouldn't play the parts that we asked, insisting his we're better. He could play, not amazing, but not bad either. But his attitude was so out of wack that were not sure if we're going to be able to tolerate it, plus he could drop us any day for a job prospect, and I by no means blame him for that, especially in today's economy, and even if we decide tI put up with his snarkiness and conceit, if we lost him it would've been for naught anyway.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #11
koslack

It's been a month and a half and you're getting discouraged? A bit of patience and perspective are in order.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by koslack
It's been a month and a half and you're getting discouraged? A bit of patience and perspective are in order.

Haha I appreciate the wisdom but you misinterpret what I mean. I was in a band for a year and a half without a bassist or one gig, and we still played every weekend, same time same place, recorded music, even though we realized it was for essentially nothing because our town sucked for music.

I don't mean discouraged as in leaving the music scene forever, I just mean that it's kind of downing everybody's passion for the whole thing because we've gone from 5 hours straight of jamming and writing music to just kind of sitting around saying "So I mean do you guys think we should work on this or do you just wanna hang out because we're still missing a bassist anyway what's the point.". We have 5 solid originals and about 10 covers so it's just like how much farther should we proceed without a bass player.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
corza334

Write as much as you want in my opinion. Put it this way, a band that has 40 covers down and 30 solid originals is more of a draw than a band with 5 covers down.

Plus the more you get down means the less work the whole band has to do. You guys just need to jam with the new bassist till he's up to speed on everything. That's a whole lot quicker than waiting around for a bassist, then starting to write and everyone learning everything.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit
Haha I appreciate the wisdom but you misinterpret what I mean. I was in a band for a year and a half without a bassist or one gig, and we still played every weekend, same time same place, recorded music, even though we realized it was for essentially nothing because our town sucked for music.

I don't mean discouraged as in leaving the music scene forever, I just mean that it's kind of downing everybody's passion for the whole thing because we've gone from 5 hours straight of jamming and writing music to just kind of sitting around saying "So I mean do you guys think we should work on this or do you just wanna hang out because we're still missing a bassist anyway what's the point.". We have 5 solid originals and about 10 covers so it's just like how much farther should we proceed without a bass player.

Perhaps you should set clear goals for this band first, so it doesn't go nowhere too.

One obvious thing to decide is whether you're a covers band or an originals band. With this goal set you can work towards getting to the prerequisite amount of songs to gig, whilst still looking for a bassist.

In terms of finding a bassist, the majority of the time the ad that people put up is flawed in some obvious way. Can I see the ad you've put up?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
merriman44

^^This!

Now for my not entirely on topic but on topic pitch to you my friend:
If you've never played bass before you should look into it while you are searching for a bassist. You might find you really enjoy it, and even if you don't you will be more of a musician than when you started. If you enjoy it, then you can switch and become one of the most wanted variety of modern musicians alive and you will fix your lack of bassist problem .

To be honest, bass is one sweet ass instrument if you take the time to really learn how to play it. It is the foundation for the rest of the music and you can change the entire feel of a song just by altering it's bass line. This gives you a strong advantage in determining the outcome of songs.

/endpersonalidealism

edit: Oh and either way brother, best of luck in all you do

Last edited by merriman44 : 09-10-2012 at 06:09 PM.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
Spaztikko

Keep looking.

Also, have you thought about what is more important, a bassist, or something else to cover the lower registers?

You could easily make simply basslines with an octaver and a looper, and also you could look at piano and other keyed instrument players.

I dont have a bassist, and its pretty cool.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
due 07
haaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
I'd go with this. You'll go further with one bass player and one guitar then two guitars and no bassist.

It's normally easier to find a guitarist anyway.

You just gotta "swallow your pride" because I know lots of people (incorrectly) feel that bass is somehow inferior to guitar.

Yeah I was in a similar situation to TS. Of the two guitarists, I was definitely the superior one (I was doing lead guitar at the time) but I switched to bass and it was the best thing I've done. An added perk is that you're always in high demand, at least in a bassist-scarce area like mine.
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #18
something_sweet

What kind of music do you guys do? I can name a ton of bassless bands-the weirder the music the better haha
something_sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
Yeah I was in a similar situation to TS. Of the two guitarists, I was definitely the superior one (I was doing lead guitar at the time) but I switched to bass and it was the best thing I've done. An added perk is that you're always in high demand, at least in a bassist-scarce area like mine.
Truth. Bass is an awesome instrument, you may find that you like it more than guitar. And even if you do find a bass player at a later date, then that time didn't go to waste because now you can say that you know how to play bass. It's a win-win in my (probably biased) opinion.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #20
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07

Yup. TS, you and the other guitarist just might have to suck it up and one of you start playing bass (for the time being at least). How many are in your band right now?
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: