Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

I've been thinking of upgrading my rig. need suggestions.

My band has started gigging and I've been job searching so I can fund new gear. While it seems like I'm, trying to walk before I run, please bear with me
MY current rig is a crate gtd65 into a crate gts4x12 (something like that) with a multifx pedal used for delays and a delta labs to-1. I like my sound as it is, but I feel like I could do more with some different gear.
I've heard good things about the Randall SS heads and I've heard some live and I dig it, but I can't find any in my area.
I found some older model PODs at my local guitar centers (we have two ) used for quite a big markdown so I was thinking i could rehearse with my current setup and gig through the PA with a POD

New or used doesn't matter and I'm open to any suggestions, but I do prefer solid state, but I am not tube averse, just my preference.

I'm thinking budget wise, $500

I play most of the popular genres (metal, rock, jazz, punk etc, so something versatile would be good.
I live in houston, tx
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 09-10-2012 at 03:46 AM.
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Prepare for being flamed. If you want SS, I got nothing for you honestly. SS and Metal is like, so pantera...

But in all seriousness, do you have the $500? The more you save the better. Especially for High Gain SS amps.
nickdohle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

Thats just my preference. I don't mind internet flame. It's all subjective anyway. I don't have it yet, I just have never put a "suggest me" thread on here and I'm looking to upgrade. like i said, I'm open to any suggestion. It's all in good fun and interest.
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #4
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Well we know you need something versatile, what type of bands do you want to get a sort of similar sound? Are you looking for an American Metal and clean sound or a British Metal/rock and clean?

If you can save up, I recommend my amp around here a lot. DSL100. You can get them used for 500 or so. I got mine for 6. Its tube. But it has a great clean sound. My favorite Marshall cleans by far. It can get a great rock sound, and with a boost it has a pretty convincing metal sound. It has an effects loop, albeit, a shitty one. It also has a reverb. I believe spring. Not positive though.

I do know they just reissued, or are about to reissue them with changes. Better effects loop, and a "Studio Quality" Digital reverb, but they are out of your budget. Might push the old prices down though.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

I guess I never really thought about who's tone I liked. I've pretty much used the same rig since I was 15 and I'm 20 now, and I just turned knobs until it sounded good to me.
I like SikTh and Enter Shikari's distorted tones. I like Protest The Hero's "Kezia" album tone too.
In terms of cleans, I like the old R&B SS tones, which is part of my love for solid state amps.
I've heard good things about the DSL. The price doesn't hurt its appeal either. Would the POD into a PA be a good Idea?
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Last edited by sonny bb : 09-10-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #6
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

Do you have a PA? Ive heard pretty decent things about the POD HDs but ive never played one
Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

yes, we do, but I'm talking about for live situations. I found an older floor POD model for about $150, would that be a good alternative to an amp/cab/combo setup?
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Old 09-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

well, you get what you pay for. Id say no personally. The POD HDs are pricey, but a lot of people love them. Would definitely be better than an old floor pod. I played on one for a month through a Champ. It was fun for a little while, but not very impressive. I would not use one alone.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

Hmm alright....With the return policy, I think I'll give the POD a shot first and return it if I don't like it, but I'll keep an eye out for a DSL because I've seen some good reviews. I think we have the same cab, except mine is a straight front. Does it sound pretty good through it?
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Old 09-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
nickdohle
Let's a go Mario!

It doesnt sound bad at all. Its not a great cab. Its loaded with Celestion seventy80 speakers. They arent high end celestions, probably the lowest there are. But, they are adequate. And I enjoy my tone very much. Especially when I retubed my amp with some JJs via Cathbards suggestion. really opened the amp up
Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy

cool. What does that mean? "Opened it Up"? I've heard that a lot on this site, but I never understood what it meant
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>

Rate This Thread: