Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
anonimau5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Veneering an RG?

I love how Ibanez RGs play but hate how fugly the finishes tend to be, so I thought I might buy one used, add a flamed or quilted maple veneer and then refinish it.

1) Is this possible with an RG?
2) Has anyone got any experience with this and would it be costly or difficult? I've looked at a couple of tutorials for it and it doesn't seem too difficult but I don't want to buy a guitar and ruin it.

I know a couple of luthiers that could probably help me out or do it for me if its too difficult I guess but I think the learning process could be interesting and I wouldn't mind giving it a go myself.

Cheers for any help.

Last edited by anonimau5 : 09-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.
anonimau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Sure, you could do that. However, there are some things to consider.

Firstly, binding. Having a veneered top without binding can look pretty odd. I think strats get away with this more because they have a large round-over along the edge, but an RG has a very sharp edge, so there would be not graduation from the top to the sides, just not pretty. And it would take all of 2 seconds to tell it's a veneer.

Secondly, RGs are basswood. Basswood is a very bland looking wood. If you sanded it down and applied a clear finish, it might be pretty ugly to you. And there's also no telling what quality the wood will be when you sand it down. Basswood can have some very nasty green streaks. And Ibanez may have used a poorly matched 3-piece body. Who knows what's under the paint.

Lasty, unless you are experienced with finishing, it's very likely that you will do all the work putting on a pretty top that you like looking at, only to be turned off from a poor finishing job.

Basically, this isn't a great idea. Ibanez does make some guitars with figured tops. If you want an amazing Ibanez Prestige with a figured top and Dimarzio pickups, keep and eye out for an RG3120. My ex-local GC has one on the used wall for months in mint condition that they couldn't even sell for $600. Even had the Prestige case. I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it wasn't red. I hate red guitars. I've seen them on eBay for $700. And I believe the RG3270 was the updated version as well, so you can look for those too.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 09-11-2012 at 01:06 AM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
You can hide the veneer edge by spraying some black along the edges of the guitar. Giving it a light burst essentially.

Something like this:

Last edited by earthwormjim : 09-11-2012 at 07:23 AM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
 
eddiehimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Slowly changing my identity, one day at a time
^i'm not sure that kind of stuff works with RG-style guitars. They're more for Fenders really.
__________________
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
earthwormjim
Registered User
 
earthwormjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
^i'm not sure that kind of stuff works with RG-style guitars. They're more for Fenders really.


It'll work, the black will hide the veneer pretty well. Just make sure it's flush with the edge.

If anything it will work better. The rounded edge on a strat makes it possible to notice a step from the veneer. With the sharp edge of a RG, there's no chance for that.

Last edited by earthwormjim : 09-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.
earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
 
W4RP1G's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
You can hide the veneer edge by spraying some black along the edges of the guitar. Giving it a light burst essentially.

Something like this:

Yeah, that's a good point.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
anonimau5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G

Secondly, RGs are basswood. Basswood is a very bland looking wood. If you sanded it down and applied a clear finish, it might be pretty ugly to you. And there's also no telling what quality the wood will be when you sand it down. Basswood can have some very nasty green streaks. And Ibanez may have used a poorly matched 3-piece body. Who knows what's under the paint.

Lasty, unless you are experienced with finishing, it's very likely that you will do all the work putting on a pretty top that you like looking at, only to be turned off from a poor finishing job.

Basically, this isn't a great idea. Ibanez does make some guitars with figured tops. If you want an amazing Ibanez Prestige with a figured top and Dimarzio pickups, keep and eye out for an RG3120. My ex-local GC has one on the used wall for months in mint condition that they couldn't even sell for $600. Even had the Prestige case. I would have bought it in a heartbeat if it wasn't red. I hate red guitars. I've seen them on eBay for $700. And I believe the RG3270 was the updated version as well, so you can look for those too.


I've seen this done a few times with Prestige models and the wood underneath has looked fine every time. Surely they use higher quality woods for Prestige models? About the finishing thing, like I said, I do have a couple of guys that could do a professional finish on it for me for a very decent price. Its also probably worth mentioning that in the area of the UK that I live in, those "nice" guitars rarely make an appearance on the used market, most of the nice guitars for sale are 500 miles away at the other end of the country. Thanks for the advice though, I've definitely got my eye on a nice prestige if it shows up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwormjim
You can hide the veneer edge by spraying some black along the edges of the guitar. Giving it a light burst essentially.

I really like this idea, thanks.

Last edited by anonimau5 : 09-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.
anonimau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.