Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
JakePlaysGuitar
"Diggin' the blues"

Bla-bla-bla If I remove my lacquer...

So I'm wanting to buy a squier affinity and do some upgrades to it (just for sh*ts and giggles) Anyways I plan on buying a fiesta/dakota red one, but my question is this. If I remove the lacquer on the squier would it wind up looking like this after a year or two of playing? I love beat up guitars, but I also love how they ring without the lacquer holding it back. Should I apply a thin layer or just leave it with nothing but paint? Thanks guys, and sorry if one of my questions sound stupid, not a paint expert

Here's what I'm going for:

Thanks guys
Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

It wouldn't look anywhere near that. You'd just have to sand it down to that much, but your wood would be hideous.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakePlaysGuitar
I love beat up guitars, but I also love how they ring without the lacquer holding it back.

Pepsi challenge time?

But honestly, to get it to look like that, you better hope that Squire is made with something that looks nicer than plywood or MDF.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Rusty_Chisel

I dont think its lacquer on squiers, its polyurethane which is much more wear resistant.
Rusty_Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Yup. Squiers have thick poly finishes. They don't wear like that, even if you take off the clear coat.

What you're after requires stripping the body completely and re-finishing it in a very light nitro finish. Strip the current finish, sand and seal the wood again, spray maybe two thin coats of colour and one or two thin coats of clear. Then don't sand and buff it glossy, just leave it as it is. Give it a good rub down with random bits of cloth and your hands to simulate wear.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
JakePlaysGuitar
"Diggin' the blues"

Squier affinity's are made of alder guys..
And could I just get a red one, remove the poly, and then redo it in nitro or would I have to repaint it to?
Sorry, never painted a guitar before. :shrugs:
Old 09-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well since it sounds like you intend to play this guitar(which you'll have to play it a lot to get lots of wear), then you may want to consider a different, better route.

And since you intend to strip the guitar down and repaint it, there is really only one logical route. Buy a cheap alder body(or an expensive one if 3-pieces is ugly to you) and build from that. You can get one from GFS for pretty cheap. They even have cheaper B-stock bodies. Then you can use their parts if you'd like(they are a step up from Squier parts), or it you should be able to retrofit it with real Fender parts. Then get yourself a Fender replacement neck from mighty mite or all parts or something.

Then you can finish it however you'd like and assemble it to have a strat that's built to your liking and a huge step above a stock Squier.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 09-11-2012 at 05:12 PM.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
JakePlaysGuitar
"Diggin' the blues"

I just need to know how to relic a finish like that really, what is the technique I need to use? I'll probably buy a cheap alder body and paint it, then finish it with nitro.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakePlaysGuitar
Squier affinity's are made of alder guys..
Not always. The ones that are made expressly for sale in North America are made of a cheap alder. All the ones that might not be sold in America - though they do sometimes creep their way in there too - are made of agathis.

Quote:
And could I just get a red one, remove the poly, and then redo it in nitro or would I have to repaint it to?
... "redoing it in nitro" would be repainting it...

Basically, either strip the body down to the bare wood and repaint it, or buy a new bare body and paint that. To get a relic look like that is very easy when you're starting from scratch. In fact it's easier to paint a guitar to look reliced than it is to relic an existing finish. As I said in my previous post, use thin coats of nitro, don't sand or buff it and just rub it down a lot by hand. You'll get that look very quickly.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
LeviMan_2001

You'll be rubbing on that guitar for a helluva long time before you do any damage to the finish (thin nitro or not). I say to quickly get a worn look, use a power buffer with a very heavy cut compound. Relic'ing a guitar is pretty intensive. If not done exactly right it often looks very shitty. Keep in mind, you WILL have to rust the hardware, relic the neck, age the plastic, etc for it to look "right". Although the main thing you eye sees is the paint, your mind will still say that it's not right 'looking'

Rate This Thread: