Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #41
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Ian, from what I understand, your Dad plays as well. Maybe you have an advantage over some of us here in that you might have already known a bit before you got on to the forums, but a lot of us did our learning here. I still say personal experience is best, but I have learned some firm guidelines from this forum. TS obviously has little knowledge of gear yet, so let's be good-natured about this and just explain.

You must have missed Ian's lightbulb thread. He thought they were tubes.

Ian is a hell of a guitar player and would school me any day but I certainly wouldn't listen to him on shit, or recommend anyone listening to him, especially when he is in dick mode. Funny thing is that is is nice to the people who deserve to get ripped on. Socially awkward.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #42
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

On that budget, scan ebay and craigslist for the best 6505/5150/6505+ combo you can get your chubby little fingers on. The 1x12 6505+'s are made in China but still a decent amp. The others are made in the US unless that's changed. I'm sure somebody will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
To get a halfstack on that budget you'll be hard pressed to find anything comparable. Better to have a good combo than a shitty half stack. Oh, and buy an amp stand for it too.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:39 AM   #43
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'm just gonna ignore all the drama posts and skip right to the OP:

For what you want to play, you really, REALLY should save up for a 515/6505. On the used market, you can get a 5150 II head for about $550. I highly recommend it over the regular 5150, because it's a little more compressed and sounds a little better for metalcore. The 5150 cabs are around $200. They're not the best thing out there, but they're very well built, and the Sheffields really aren't that bad.

If you don't mind getting a combo, the 6505+ 112 can be had for around $350. I'm not a huge fan of it because it uses cheap Chinese components and has a slightly noticeable failure rate, but even I have to admit that they are an amazing value for hte money.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #44
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Might I add - that in an ideal world I don't like 5150/6505 in combo form because it limits what tubes you can run. I can make a head a lot quieter than a combo. If you can find a 5150 head on a decent 4x12 within budget jump all over it but you'll be one lucky SoB.
The 5150/6505 combos aren't bad though and certainly better than what you are likely to find within budget for a halfstack.

Tell us your nearest city and let 311 work his magic.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #45
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

5150 2x12 is USA made and high quality, however its absurdly heavy.

As Cath said you are limited on tubes you can chose in the combos due to vibrations causing microphonics. That being said its not such a big deal, and as long as you have a high quality/low microphonic tube in V1 the noise level is low. I also don't think TS would jack shit about this or even worry as he really isn't at the level to swap tubes and compare. Given time sure, next week no.

You can almost get a 112 6505+ new with your budget, it will have a warranty. Used 6505+/5150 ii heads might be a little out of reach and require a cab but they are right up you alley as the others have said.

I'm case you did not know:
5150=6505
5150ii=6505+

Offworld would be correct in stating the + would work better for you with your style of music.

Also Vypyr 60 would work great as well. You can get those cheap on the used market.

Last edited by R45VT : 09-13-2012 at 03:07 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #46
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i can play any of my amps with a 4x12" any time of day some of them allot for lower volumes so i can play throughout the night and while not ideal, the Dual Terror doesn't sound that bad.

there is nothing with wanting a 4x12" he may grow later and get tired of hauling it, and buy a 2x12" but thats his deal.
I never said 4x12's are totally useless (well except when trolling in other threads). I own one, I find use in mine. They have their uses, they exist for a reason.

But read the first post: does he say he wants a half stack for wide angle projection and to be heard over his powerful drummer? No, he wants something to play generic metalcore with that's "good with squealing and pinch harmonics".

Clearly the TS does not have a use for a 4x12, at least not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
ian- weren't the one with the light bulb tube theory? (i apologize if it was somebody else) remember that you didn't know anything as a new player either.
It was me. But that wasn't because of inexperience, just stupidity. I've also asked my friends if somebody made a motorcycle that could fly.

I've been a guitar player for about 11 years now, I'm not a new player.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 09-13-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #47
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
I never said 4x12's are totally useless (well except when trolling in other threads). I own one, I find use in mind. They have their uses, they exist for a reason.

But read the first post: does he say he wants a half stack for wide angle projection and to be heard over his powerful drummer? No, he wants something to play generic metalcore with that's "good with squealing and pinch harmonics".

Clearly the TS does not have a use for a 4x12, at least not yet.

It was me. But that wasn't because of inexperience, just stupidity. I've also asked my friends if somebody made a motorcycle that could fly.

I've been a guitar player for about 11 years now, I'm not a new player.

You probably don't NEED a half stack either, regardless of whatever reasons you have convinced yourself that you do.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #48
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by al112987
You probably don't NEED a half stack either, regardless of whatever reasons you have convinced yourself that you do.
Nobody really NEEDS a 4x12 no matter what the situation, but they certainly work and sound far better in a band environment.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #49
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Nobody really NEEDS a 4x12 no matter what the situation, but they certainly work and sound far better in a band environment.

I NEED my 4x12!!! Where else am I going to stack my half stack?

FULL STACK 4TW!!!
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #50
VishNuRoXoUt
They call me Karebear...

Well this has been a shit show for sure.

No one needs any gear. But if they want it, they can have it. I used to play a cranked Sunn Model T Reissue in my bedroom through an Orange 4x12. I played doom and I liked stupid loud noises.
Who cares what people want... Just help them out.

I definitely agree with a 5150 2x12 combo. There are tons of them for sale around me right now for $500. I used to own one and I loved that damn thing. More so than my 5150 heads I have owned.

τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ ∞

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote:
Originally Posted by My buddy, Maxwell
I think that's really what we want out of life. Sugar mommas and verellens.
VishNuRoXoUt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: