Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
ijAcK

Hi guys I am planning to buy first electric guitar and needs help.

Ok so as the title says I am looking for a guitar under 500.
I like playing Metallica, Megadeth, Manowar, Judas Priest and also Mark knopfler, Pink Floyd when I am bored etc.
After googling I have come with the following list.

ESP KH 202
Cort EVL K4
Ibanez RG370dx
Ibanez Art320

I love the looks of Art320. I am totally confused.

Thanks
ijAcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

For a starter guitar, you definitely do not want a whammy bar. Those things are da debil and will drive you insane.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...h76274000002000 (The Ibanez Art you mentioned above is no longer in production) This will leave you with more money for an amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar I absolutely LOVE Jacksons. They're great guitars. Honestly. It's a little more pricey, but it's a GREAT guitar.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
richardlpalmer

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
ijAcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...h76274000002000 (The Ibanez Art you mentioned above is no longer in production) This will leave you with more money for an amp

Thanks jeleopard for the reply. Well I saw the art320 still hanging around in my local guitar shop. I'm gonna try it to see if it suit my needs.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijAcK
Thanks jeleopard for the reply. Well I saw the art320 still hanging around in my local guitar shop. I'm gonna try it to see if it suit my needs.

Ah. Well, okay. If you like it, buy it.
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The ART320 would be a perfectly fine choice.

Just play it first and make sure it feels good in your hands.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Heideck

Ibanez ART are great guitars, I agree with the first guy with buying a jackson, very nice guitars too

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
ne14t

Not sure why people think a whammy bar is the devil, if you set it up properly and don't change the gauge of your strings they are really not that bad at all. String changes take a bit more time then normal but only by like a couple minutes. With absolutely no whammy bar experience at all I managed to set mine up perfectly in about an hour, key to remember is that you always want your spring tension to equal the string tension so the floating trem stays flush with the top of the guitar. When you see a trem and its angled hard away from the body its not properly setup the trem springs don't have enough tension on them and when it sinks into the cavity on the guitar it means there is too much tension on the trem springs.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

^ But for beginning guitar players...
Schecter KM7
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

... they're still not a problem. Do you have any idea how many people start off on guitars with vibratos? More than start off with fixed bridges. Vibratos are not scary so long as you don't try to push them beyond what they're designed for. Locking vibratos aren't designed for people that like to change tunings or use double stop techniques. Standard vibratos aren't for people that want to do crazy 80s shred antics.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
jeffo46

Locking trems are a pain in the ass, especially for beginners. Seeing that you're just starting off and from what I gather, you like Metal and Classic Rock ? Get a ESP LTD Viper 100-FM. They're only $250.00 brand new and can handle not only those 2 genres but also Blues as well. I know because I own one and absolutely love it.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #12
Randio
Leviosuuuuuuuw

iJack, do you have an amp already? If so, I would pick the Ibanez RG370dx. It's a great guitar, especially for that price. It will suit your musical needs perfectly (if paired with the right amp, but that's something for later maybe).

The only thing about it that could cause a little difficulty is the tremolo, but like the people above already said, if you know what you're doing it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just do a bit of research, or ask someone at the music shop to explain you a little about it.

Also, Ibanez necks are kinda thin and flat. I myself don't really like them as much (it's the one thing that keeps me from playing them), but a lot of my friends love them, and they are great for metal, especially for the lead parts for bands such as Megadeth, Metallica and Priest. The single coil in the middle position will work well for Mark Knopfler and Pink Floyd.

Final question, what kind of amp do you have? Some people other than me would maybe like to know and give you a little advice about that?
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Randio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
ijAcK

Hi guys

First of all I am sorry for the late respond.
Thank you all for your kind reply and being so helpful. Well today I got my new guitar. Its a used combo but new for me. I thought I should go for the art320 but will take sometime to get me a decent amp, so I came across to this Line 6 spider 4 15 and schecter omen 6 for $325 its still new condition the owner took out of the package maybe only 10 times, when I hold the neck of the guitar it feels as if its part of my body thats how comfortable it is to me. I don't know if I made the right choice but I think I do. I am going to replace the stock pups with emg pups or DiMarzio's I just don't know maybe you guys can give some tips again best for metal punch sound and shred.

Thanks ijAcK
here is the pic
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
richardlpalmer

You made a great choice and you'll love it. I wouldn't even worry about changing out the pickups to tell you the truth.

It'd be like someone getting their first car and talking about all the "improvements" they're going to make with it. Just enjoy your guitar, play the heck out of it and change things when you get to the point you need/want to.

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
richardlpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #15
ijAcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardlpalmer
You made a great choice and you'll love it. I wouldn't even worry about changing out the pickups to tell you the truth.
Thanks Richard I am really looking forward.
It'd be like someone getting their first car and talking about all the "improvements" they're going to make with it. Just enjoy your guitar, play the heck out of it and change things when you get to the point you need/want to.

That's right, once I nailed up with this pickup and think about it if I really need to then I will.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
... they're still not a problem. Do you have any idea how many people start off on guitars with vibratos? More than start off with fixed bridges. Vibratos are not scary so long as you don't try to push them beyond what they're designed for. Locking vibratos aren't designed for people that like to change tunings or use double stop techniques. Standard vibratos aren't for people that want to do crazy 80s shred antics.

Although I've come to dislike tremolo's an sich, this is the plain truth. I would like to add that beginners usually just don't know what they are getting into and a hardtail would be the best beginning situation, in my opinion. Standard vibrato isn't bad either, but I just don't use it. Double-locking isn't bad, as long as it stays in tune, which can be achieved by getting it set up properly. Still gets me agitated everytime I tune my Edge III though. Maybe it's just me and not the bridge.

EDIT: Congratulations on buying your first electric! Looks very nice, and as long as you like it, it'll be fine to play too!

Enjoy!

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300