Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
sorryatbest

Keyboard amp for guitar?

I'm about to buy a new 7-string guitar and an amp. I've recently just been playing a drop-tuned 6-string through a bass amp but I don't like the way it puts out my highs (which it obviously wasn't made for). So I've been thinking about getting a keyboard amp. I figured this way I can get good lows and highs, most that I've looked at have multiple inputs (which is good if I hook up other instruments during jam sessions with friends, also ,from my understanding, mics can be run into them with decent quality. The only issue that's come to my attention is effects, which, I believe, would be remedied by running through pedals (that way I get my effects and whoever else is hooked in doesn't have to have the same effects). My question is, is this a good idea or are there other things to consider, etc?
sorryatbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
seljer
UG Resident

A keyboard amp is designed with full spectrum sound reproduction. Using a some kind of seperate preamp with a speaker simulator in it would be recomended for use with guitar, espescially if you use distortion otherwise you'll have horrendous icepick treble. A typical 10" or 12" guitar speaker has like, minimal response above 6khz

If you need multiple inputs buy a mixer.
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
sorryatbest

Ok, I'll be honest...now you somewhat lost me lol. I've only ever worked with very basic equipment (i.e: guitar, pedal, amp, sometimes head and cabinet). Most of the more technical stuff is mostly worked out by my bass player (who knew they'd be good for something lol jk). I do use a lot of distortion though. So what is a preamp and how will I know if it has a speaker. I've thought about mixers before but they can get pretty pricey and I'm trying to keep spending somewhat minimal and most of the keyboard amps I've look at have around 4 inputs which would be good to plug in 2 guitars, a bass, and a mic; not to mention, this way if everyone comes to my place to hang out and have a small jam session, they won't have to lug they're amps over like with the bass amp (it's not actually mine, I'm just borrowing it from my bass player right now because mine got stolen).
Old 09-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

You are reinventing the wheel, despite a lack of knowledge of how wheels work. Just buy a guitar amp.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
You are reinventing the wheel, despite a lack of knowledge of how wheels work. Just buy a guitar amp.

+1
Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #6
sorryatbest

Ok so basically a keyboard amp is a bad idea lol. Are there any really good guitar amps that would that i can also hook the other instruments into without losing too much quality(besides the bass because I have his amp at my place anyway, like I said)?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Really it is not a good idea to run anything else through a guitar amp, one, because it will sound like ass, two, because guitar amp speakers are designed for guitar frequencies, meaning putting something else through it will turn the speakers to shit. So really, no, a guitar amp for a guitar, a bass amp for a bass guitar, and a PA or some kind of keyboard amp for vocals.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Really it is not a good idea to run anything else through a guitar amp, one, because it will sound like ass, two, because guitar amp speakers are designed for guitar frequencies, meaning putting something else through it will turn the speakers to shit. So really, no, a guitar amp for a guitar, a bass amp for a bass guitar, and a PA or some kind of keyboard amp for vocals.

Hmmm...I'd say the acoustic amps with mic input sort of disagree with that.

And vocals rarely go past 1200hz, well within the range of a guitar speaker, so it seems any clean channel should reproduce vocals quite well?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Alright Arby, with your "facts" No I didn't consider acoustic amps. And I didn't know if guitar speakers would handle vocals, that is good to know.

Pardon me, Dun goofed

EDIT: I still would think that a clean guitar amp would add a lot of color to the vocals, wouldn't it? I mean, not saying it wouldn't work, just that it wouldn't be ideal. I don't know, I am naive in this area

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)

Last edited by dementiacaptain : 09-12-2012 at 10:04 PM.
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Alright Arby, with your "facts" No I didn't consider acoustic amps. And I didn't know if guitar speakers would handle vocals, that is good to know.

Pardon me, Dun goofed

EDIT: I still would think that a clean guitar amp would add a lot of color to the vocals, wouldn't it? I mean, not saying it wouldn't work, just that it wouldn't be ideal. I don't know, I am naive in this area

Yes it could, and guitar speakers have different voicings as well so that could have a significant effect, unlike a system designed for uncolored vocal reproduction. (PA etc...)

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

Last edited by Arby911 : 09-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

A keyboards amp is basically a little PA. In fact I have known quite a few keyboards players that started out with keyboards amps and then traded them in for a small PA. I did the same thing myself. My keyboards rack now has line mixer and a 2000W power amp which I run into two 15" PA bins. When gigging that amp is actually the foldback amp (my foldback rig is more powerful than the FoH one.) Yes I know, I'm a psycho.
So if you are running a keyboards amp for guitar you have to treat it the same way as you would if you were running guitar directly into the PA. It will work fine if you stick something between the guitar and PA that will simulate an actual guitar amp - like a Pod. They are a clean amp in the way that a PA is a clean amp, not in the way that a Roland Jazz Chorus is a clean amp.

Bottom line; use a guitar amp for your guitar unless you go the modelling interface route and use a PA for vocals and keyboards. Keyboards amps are only really good for the keyboardist at rehearsal and even then most experienced players just go straight into the desk (or their own desk) anyway.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 09-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
EncoreBlade

Why not just gun for a guitar amp? How much are you looking to spend? Craigslist or ebay can be a great way to get a great amp for a great price. If you intend to go the keyboard amp way, you're gonna have to invest in an amp/cab sim, available in most multifx units or in standalone pedals like the Tech 21 Character Series or Joyo clones of those. I bought the Joyo American Sound for like $40 and for a cheap amp sim, it sounds alright and takes to other analog pedals well.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
EncoreBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

You could buy a keyboard amp or an active 15" PA speaker and then use a POD / Tonelab / V-Amp plugged into it for your guitar tones, that should work nicely.

Personally I'd just get a decent head and 2x12 cab or something.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: