Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrywm
I can see where he is coming from, am I right in saying you play in a cover band?

If so I would not blame you for getting a nice light easy to handle amp with a floor unit... There is no point in carrying heavy expensive and easily damaged gear around to pub/club gigs where most people couldnt tell the difference any way...
HNGD!

Correct!

Good tone is important, but that last 10% between 'sounds good' and 'holy **** this is amazing' basically only matters to you....and perhaps other guitarists in the audience.

When I record original material with the 'serious' band, the studio I go to has a ton of amazing vintage amps and cabs so I'm covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
so i really cant blame you. if i ever had really high end gear and pulled a move like that i would probably buy axe FX.

Funny, I've just been looking at an Eleven Rack - not as good as the Axe, but a whole lot cheaper.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
gerrywm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
Correct!

Good tone is important, but that last 10% between 'sounds good' and 'holy **** this is amazing' basically only matters to you....and perhaps other guitarists in the audience.

Ya know what you mean, no point bringing a hand wired marhsall and a box of bouique pedals to a pubs where they will get hosed down with beer.

And yes it is only other guitarists who notice this kinda stuff!! Ah they will find something to give out about...
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:

That's so true. Once you're in the ballpark it really is only gonna matter to you. I don't think other guitarists will even notice that much as long as you sit in the mix properly. I saw a guy perfom live with a Flextone one time and I'd bet if I sat down and played his presets I'd be less than impressed... But hearing him in the mix, I was blown away. He had some really great sounds dialed in, and you could tell he worked hard to make them fit with the overall sound the band was going for.

If I were gigging I'd probably have a Flextone or a Vetta... Its just too convenient not to. I'll always want my tube amps at home though.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Correct!

When I record original material with the 'serious' band, the studio I go to has a ton of amazing vintage amps and cabs so I'm covered.

Yeah, but it's not like it's not important. Even though the audience doesn't know or care, it's still gonna bother you if it doesn't sound right to your ears, and that's really important IMO.

Quote:
Funny, I've just been looking at an Eleven Rack - not as good as the Axe, but a whole lot cheaper.

If the point is to save $$$ I'd rather have a POD HD than an 11R.

All this said, I still honestly believe that the Vypyr Tube sounds better than any of the L6 amps. The Vetta/HD147 may be a contender, but the Vypyr owns the Flextones/Spider Valves IMO.

The only downside to the VYpyr is that it's really not deep at all compared to L6's higher end stuff. Not being able to use a compressor and a tubescreamer at the same time sucks ass.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 09-13-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: