Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #1
STIRMling

Jet City Amps/Mesa Boogie Amps/ Orange Amps???

I have heard these three brands recommended a million times here and elsewhere on the interwebs. Can someone tell me a little about each one and what kind of music theyare good for? I will be getting e new amp here within the next 6 months or so and would like to know a little about several different brands of amps.
STIRMling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Brand isn't as important as the amp itself. Every brand produces all kinds of amps for all kinds of purpose. You can't just say, O, mesa is great for metal when some of their amps aren't good for metal at all.

It would be better if you just told us what kind of music you play, what your budget is, where you're located and what kind of situations you're using the amp for.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.
Kevin Saale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Well they all have a variety of amps, especially Mesa, and they are all almost completely different from each other. It would be better to google the info you are looking for, or even use the searchbar in this thread. Each one of the respective companies you mentioned should have their own thread dedicated to them.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale
Brand isn't as important as the amp itself. Every brand produces all kinds of amps for all kinds of purpose. You can't just say, O, mesa is great for metal when some of their amps aren't good for metal at all.

It would be better if you just told us what kind of music you play, what your budget is, where you're located and what kind of situations you're using the amp for.

Nailed it.

Adding to that, if you want amp recommendations, answer these questions, and we'll point you in the right direction

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
STIRMling

Okay:
Budget of anywhere up to 1000
I play mostly blues, alternative and indie stuff
I don't care new or used
I tend to move my gear a lot so it would have to be portable. I will be gigging very VERY soon.
I live in Southern Oregon
Rigth now I'm playing a squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom, but I will be getting a new guitar very soon. Most likely either a blacktop jazzmaster, the fender marauder, or the Pawn Shop Mustang Special.
STIRMling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Can you list some bands that have a sound you'd like to get close to? Genres are kind of useless because everyone has their own definitions of what genre a band is.

If you could be a little more specific about where you're located, that would be great too, so we can look at what gear is near you on Craigslist. Even just your county would be fine, or whatever vagueish area that you'd be willing to drive to.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

I'm gonna assume you'd want a dedicated clean channel that sounds decent? Or you do you mind using your guitars volume knob for cleans?

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Here is some stuff close to you that I would consider.

http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3241568744.html Marshall DSL head (needs cab)
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3255389231.html Crate Blue Voodoo (ask if cab is included)
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3253265477.html Peavey Classic 50
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3250053623.html Marshall Mode 4 stack
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3234922236.html Line 6 Spider Valve
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3223081511.html Egnator Rebel 20/ 2 cabs
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3222253625.html Peavey Butcher head (needs cab)
http://medford.craigslist.org/msg/3204221474.html Crate Blue Voodoo full stack br00talz
Old 09-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Ippon
Amped

^ +311 ... also:

USED ENGATER RENEGADE 18/65W TUBE HEAD
$624
Guitar Center Medford
Medford, Oregon 97504
541-772-8366

USED PEAVEY VALVEKING VK212 GUITAR COMBO AMP W/O F
$300
Guitar Center Medford
Medford, Oregon 97504
541-772-8366

USED MARSHALL JCM 2000 DSL AMP HEAD
$650
Guitar Center Medford
Medford, Oregon 97504
541-772-8366

Old 09-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Renegade
Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Renegade

+1 i liked it when i had it solid amp.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Go with an Egnater Renegade. It should be capable of nearly everything you ask, and very well capable. Of the three brands that you listed for what you want, only the Jet City stuff is within your range and Orange or Mesa Boogie may not have what you like and require even used in that price range.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg4ever
Go with an Egnater Renegade. It should be capable of nearly everything you ask, and very well capable. Of the three brands that you listed for what you want, only the Jet City stuff is within your range and Orange or Mesa Boogie may not have what you like and require even used in that price range.

IMHO i wouldn't get a Egnater cab (4x12) you can find a better cabinet i for not a lot of money, especially 2x12" are cheaper. it odd that the factory cab be subpar, but maybe it would be good to check Avatar. i have an avatar cab its solid.

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Saale

While this is 100% true, I would like to add that while the amp itself is the most important factor, brand is also important to consider.

The reason being is that all amps made by any particular brand tend to share certain overall tonal characteristics. For example, Mesa amps are very dark sounding American voiced amps. They tend to have Fenderish cleans and the lead sounds are generally quite thick with a very round/smooth top end. It doesn't matter whether you play a Mark V, a Dual Rectifier or a Lonestar, -- which are about as different as you can possibly get -- they'll still have those basic qualities to them.

Anyway, my basic point is if you're looking for a certain type of sound then often the best course of action is to identify which brands produce those sorts of sounds, and from there which amp within those brand would best suit your need.
icronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #15
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
While this is 100% true, I would like to add that while the amp itself is the most important factor, brand is also important to consider.

The reason being is that all amps made by any particular brand tend to share certain overall tonal characteristics. For example, Mesa amps are very dark sounding American voiced amps. They tend to have Fenderish cleans and the lead sounds are generally quite thick with a very round/smooth top end. It doesn't matter whether you play a Mark V, a Dual Rectifier or a Lonestar, -- which are about as different as you can possibly get -- they'll still have those basic qualities to them.

Anyway, my basic point is if you're looking for a certain type of sound then often the best course of action is to identify which brands produce those sorts of sounds, and from there which amp within those brand would best suit your need.

No, just no. I can turn that right around on you. Say someone wants a marshall sound, by your logic they should just get an MG, because thats a marshall and must sound like other marshalls. Thats not exactly what you said, but you're at least saying they should consider an MG. You also leave out all the amp companies out there today doing the marshall sound better than marshall (arguably).

Mesa is an anomaly in that all their amps are quality, but I wouldn't say all their amps share the same characteristics. The mark series is way tighter and smoother than the dual rec series, not even the cleans sound the same. I wouldn't say marks have fender cleans either, they are too warm and middy.

Basically, you're wrong.

Quote:
Get three coffins ready.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Yeah dude, how do you argue that point? They aren't even all american voiced (whatever the hell that is even supposed to really signify), look at the Royal Atlantic. I haven't heard one Mesa amp that really sounds like another, other than some of their cheaper amps being reminiscent of the more expensive ones (DC and F series come to mind)

Peavey makes a ton of amps that really don't sound like each other. Jet City and Orange I could almost see the argument, but even then it really is kind of a very very general analysis of their sound that would lead to the conclusion that they sound the same.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
jpatan
UG's only REAL Llama

grab that renegade head. Seriously. The renegade would be pretty stellar for indie/alt rock. The clean channel is very good, and the gain channel sounds quite good for mid gain stuff. There are some pretty good youtube demos of the renegade. I regret getting rid of mine.

EDIT: Also, the post a few above seems misguided. A mark / recto / lonestar are all COMPLETELY different amps. IMO they sound nothing alike. Unless you drop the cash for a road king II, which has the lone star clean channel, and recto drive channels. If you really want to know what an amp is like you just need to plug your guitar into it and jam for a while.

Renegade.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes

Last edited by jpatan : 09-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.
jpatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Ippon
Amped

I can see what icronic's post is amplifying since MBs have that distinct and readily identifiable tone/feel, American muscle/beef. Same thing with Diezels, Oranges, etc.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
icronic

Kevin Saale:

Not only are you splitting hairs, but you're also twisting my words. Allow me to quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
Anyway, my basic point is if you're looking for a certain type of sound then often the best course of action is to identify which brands produce those sorts of sounds, and from there which amp within those brands would best suit your need.

So no, by my logic if someone wanted a Marshall sound they would identify which brands can achieve those sounds and then by process of elimination pick which amp within said brands would best achieve their specific needs. So not only does that include other brands like Wizard, Splawn, Carol Ann etc... it also means that unless you are hugely limited by budget then the MG would be eliminated as a choice fairly quickly.

Also, I never said all Mesas sound the SAME, I said they all shared certain tonal qualities. I suppose it's hard to quantify. But the first time I heard the Royal Atlantic I was at the local music store and some guy had one just cranked in the practice room. I couldn't see it, I'd never heard it before, but it sounded like a Mesa, with a British twist to it.

I just find that this is true of most brands. There will always be exceptions, the Peavey Classic comes to mind. But I've never had trouble identifying what brand of amp someone is playing even if I've never heard that particular model before.
icronic is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: