Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
COREYTAYLOR721

Stuck in a rut it seems.

I have taken lessons for a couple years and played guitar for 3-4 years now. I have learned mostly blues and jazz rhythms. I know quite a few voicings for chords and even extended chords. I play mainly the blues and major scales. Anyway I feel like I am playing the same stuff ALL of the time.....and it is frustrating. Lately I have been trying to play some songs that are out of my usual genres and I am having trouble with the tabs. What is the best way for a musician who usually plays music with chords to get the hang of playing and memorizing longer more technical tabs? I want to play some Tool btw.

I have never been a tab guy and prefer jazz type of improvisation. Any help would be great.

Thanks
COREYTAYLOR721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
TheHydra

If you're not a tab guy, then why use tabs? Learn the songs by ear.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
COREYTAYLOR721

That's what I do but Tool is a bit technical as you can imagine the chord are sort of weird. It is just frustrating because my friend is like a tab wizard and doesn't even know what a G chord is.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COREYTAYLOR721
What is the best way for a musician who usually plays music with chords to get the hang of playing and memorizing longer more technical tabs?

I know exactly how you're feeling. I'm not a tab guy either, or at least I wasn't for the longest time.

Tabs can be confusing, especially if the person who tabbed it screwed up in some spots. The best way I have found is to break the song into sections and only learn one section at a time. I know this may be hard for bands, like Tool, who can sometimes drag a song out, but there are really any better methods that I have read or discovered. However, Tool is still not very technical, so at least you have that going for you.

And reading the tab itself does get much easier. After a while you aren't actively reading the fret and string, you are just playing what you see.

I've learned songs by ear, and it's never been a natural process for me. I just learn the tab in sections and then build up my speed with a metronome.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
It is just frustrating because my friend is like a tab wizard and doesn't even know what a G chord is.

Then you're winning.

Laugh at him in his face.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
COREYTAYLOR721

Hydra150 lol man its like he can shred pretty well but when I try to explain song structure or say "for that Bb chord" and he just stares at me. Anyway I guess it is just going to take some more time it still looks like numbers to me. I haven't gotten to the point where I just play what I see with tabs.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Bad Kharmel

dude, maybe you can get your friend who is good with tab to teach you what he knows, and you teach him what you know, then you'll both come full circle
Bad Kharmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Then you're winning.

Laugh at him in his face.

Seriously. Laugh at him in his face.

This is not a joke.
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
Dynamight

We're lucky enough these days to have a giant repertoire of video guitar lessons on Youtube and the likes. Just search for a video lesson of the song you're trying to learn—several should come up—and choose the one that looks the most reputable, and play it. It's the best way to self-teach.

Last edited by Dynamight : 09-13-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Dynamight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
tukk04
UG's Neil Young

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #11
COREYTAYLOR721

I don't think it would help to laugh in his face considering we are in a band together kind of. Yeah I have learned some Rolling Stones stuff from youtube. I guess sometimes I don't know if it is okay just to play from the stuff I know and not dive into a long song in tab format.
Thanks for the help. I know it takes time.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
I don't think it would help to laugh in his face considering we are in a band together kind of.

Assert dominance as the superior musician. It's either that or a guitar battle, and they're so passé.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
..... It's either that or a guitar battle......

Ignore this. I wouldnt mount any guns or crossbow-thingys on a guitar because someone could get hurt and more importantly the tone of the instrument would be affected. Its probably better to both trade licks back and forth until one player emerges with a clear advantage in skill...
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Hydra150 lol man its like he can shred pretty well but when I try to explain song structure or say "for that Bb chord" and he just stares at me. Anyway I guess it is just going to take some more time it still looks like numbers to me. I haven't gotten to the point where I just play what I see with tabs.

Doesn't sound very good to me. I know a guy with hammer, he is the fastest hammer dude around. Unfortunately he cannot hammer a nail so that one object attaches to the next but yeah, f*** me he can hammer fast.

Hammer time.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Hammer time.

Don't forget to do the dance when you laugh at him.

And make sure you laugh at him close enough to his face he can smell your breath.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
mrkeka
Lost in Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Hammer time.

Anyone else hearing a funky bass line and "You can't touch this" in their heads?
mrkeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #17
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
when I try to explain song structure or say "that Bb chord" he just stares at me.

Bad sign. He might be able to play fast but he sounds like a complete ****ing tool. It's not like knowing about theory is secret lore only obtainable by doing obeisance to the monk who lives in the cave up that mountain who alone has power to grant you access to the mystic ****ing portal of sound. You can read about it on Wikipedia, or buy books, or pay someone to teach you.

Besides playing fast != playing well. If fast were equal to good then that bit at the end of War Pigs where they speed the tape up would be the best bit of the song.

So anyway: Make sure you do the hammer dance, while shouting "Play me a Bb, you mother - I've been granted access to the mystic ****ing portal of sound" and laughing in his face.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeka
Anyone else hearing a funky bass line and "You can't touch this" in their heads?

In my version the names of the notes in the bass line are being displayed on a huge screen as they play and a certain guitar player is watching them with a bewildered and slightly frightened look on his face as someone else laughs at him like they were in an advert for "Why you shouldn't do drugs, kids".
Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy__Head
Don't forget to do the dance when you laugh at him.

And make sure you laugh at him close enough to his face he can smell your breath.

So anyway: Make sure you do the hammer dance, while shouting "Play me a Bb, you mother - I've been granted access to the mystic ****ing portal of sound" and laughing in his face.

mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
COREYTAYLOR721

You guys always have good advice....lol

Rate This Thread: