Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Agent51

Billie Joe's Tone/Equipment on the Upcoming Albums?

So by now most everyone (who clicked to read a Green Day thread anyway lol) has heard the 2 new Green Day Songs; "Oh Love" and "Kill the DJ". I grew up on very early Green Day so this is such a departure from that sound that I think it's why I'm so interested. I really like the guitar tone in these songs so far, and the little sound clips that have been in the "studio" videos promoting the albums. And also that he seem to be playing solos again, which early Green Day fans should be excited for because he had some badass ones back in the day.

Anyway, the tone. I know the guitars he always uses, but the amps are definitely different, he's even said he's moving from the "big Marshall sound". What amps/speakers/effects are being used on this new stuff?

And to coincide with that, on their upcoming tour, how do you think older stuff will be handled? Up until now it's always been Marshalls, so they could play stuff from any album and it worked. Last time I saw them they played almost 3hrs, through their whole catalogue. How do you think they'll cover that? Just have both gear setups and switch or play the older stuff with the new tone/equipment as well? I guess this applies to ALL bands that have changed their core guitar tone after becoming so known for a certain one.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

According to Guitar World:

"The principle amps for the rhythm tracks were custom 50 watt heads built by Green Day band coordinator Bill Schneider and guitar tech Andrew Hans Buscher from Mojotone parts. 'It's our take on a Marshall JTM 45 and a Vox AC30,' Buscher says. 'We base our design on one of the Mojotone kits and then swap everything out and do our own version.' "

It goes on to say that the parts weren't doubled or tripled; just a single pass with great guitars and amps.

"Other amps used for the sessions included a white, handwired Vox AC30 head and stack, a Divided by 13 amp, and a Seventies Marshall named the 'Texas Marshall' for reason known only to Green Day and their crew."
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

^ This.

Definitely lots of P90s and then Divided by 13 is featured heavily. There's some Hiwatt too. I've heard it mentioned a few times, and you can really hear it.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Yeah, P90s in LP Jrs is kind of a given for Green Day, even though he did pull out a Gretsch Setzer Hotrod for the solo on "Troublemaker" according to GW.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Agent51

I'd love to give that custom built 50w a go, those are two badass amps to base a build on. And now I'm curious why "Texas Marshall" is called that. I like "inside joke" stuff like that, and Green Day in particular is a great band for stuff like that. NoFx is another. A lot of inside jokes and "Easter eggs" in stuff. Anyway, off topic haha.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #6
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Off topic? It's your thread, man haha
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Agent51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmastamitch
Off topic? It's your thread, man haha

Yeah, this is true haha

Last edited by Agent51 : 09-13-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Agent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Agent51

What's everyone's take on the new sound? Overall I like "early punk" Green Day better, I've always loved his tone on those albums. But the new stuff, while taking a LOT of getting used to, has a really cool vibe to it. And I'm loving the guitar tones.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
nido
Confucius say blame gear

I'm also a fan of old greenday.
I used to wake up and go to sleep listening to their nimrod record.
Their new tone is ok. I just think the songwriting used to be better.
It happens to the best though.Overall Im Glad they are still active.

Gear testing ,exercises, etc...
nido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
Agent51

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nido
I'm also a fan of old greenday.
I used to wake up and go to sleep listening to their nimrod record.
Their new tone is ok. I just think the songwriting used to be better.
It happens to the best though.Overall Im Glad they are still active.

This is pretty much how I feel, except for me it was kerplunk and dookie. I lost interest when they American Idiot eyeliner phase started (I'm not even cracking an eyeliner joke, I'm an honest GD fan who was confused as F about that lol). While some of the songs still sounded "old", I just didn't get what the image thing was. Maybe that was unfair to write them off, but I did for awhile. Then I saw them live as I said earlier. Almost didn't go because I figured they'd play all the 21st & American Idiot stuff. But I did, because I had never had a chance to see them all these years and I was blown away. For a "punk" band to be up there that long and with the great crowd play too, it renewed my faith in them. So I dutifully checked out this new stuff and didn't dislike it, which I expected to for some reason.

All in all they're just a great band. While I haven't always cared for every album I HAVE found at least a couple songs on every album that I do like, that do sound "old school". As a musician I have to respect their desire, and some would say balls (considering how far off it is from what core fans expect, risking alienating a whole generation of fans), to take a new direction with their music and try new things after so long.**

**Unless they start doing dub step or making songs like Offspring's "Cruising' California...."....Parody or not, F You Offspring (but the rest of the album is pretty good haha)......end rant.

Last edited by Agent51 : 09-13-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Agent51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: