Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
David_91744

Signature Changes

Hey everyone, I'd like some advice on how you guys approach time signature changes when you write. I'm writing some Death Metal so 4/4 to 3/4 is always fun.

I'd like some examples of really catchy switches. Not just an obvious time signature change just to say "yeah we put a time signature change" you know? Cheers

Pretty much just tell me your experiences writing catchy switches. "I wrote a song that did "this" before I switched to 3/4" etc.

And yes, writing Death Metal can be fun. Unless you write boring riffs with no point.

Last edited by David_91744 : 09-16-2012 at 06:21 PM.
David_91744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Revocati0n
Slammity slam

the start of Cannibal Corpse's "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead" is a good example of time signatures changing.

'll point you in the direction of Necrophagist, Obscura, Cynic etc.

The change in signatures and how well the riffs change is completely dependent on the riffs themselves.

What type of death metal are you writing?
Revocati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Keth
Contrapunctalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_91744
Hey everyone, I'd like some advice on how you guys approach a in change signatures smoothly. I'm writing some Death Metal so 4/4 to 3/4 is always fun.

I'd like some examples of really catchy switches. Not just an obvious time signature change just to say "yeah we put a time signature change" you know? Cheers

Death metal shouldn't be fun

You already answered the question in your second part -> the smoothest time signatures changes are the ones that aren't "yeah we put a time signature change".
What this means to you is that you should get the sound/riffs in your head first, then figure them out. If there's a time signature change in those riffs, then cool. If not, still cool.

Anyway, Cannibal Corpse later works, Nile and Defeated Sanity have quite some time signature changes, for standard death metal. If you're interested in the what lighter, more prog style: Cynic and Gordian Knot.

Defeated Sanity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFF...&feature=relmfu

Gordian Knot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zo7...feature=related

Keth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #4
Revocati0n
Slammity slam

Defeated Sanity = best death metal band ever
Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #5
Revocati0n
Slammity slam

Yeah, I dont really understand the question either
Old 09-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
beer bear
UG's Hermit

If you feel like you have to change signatures, try keeping the riff similar to the one in the original signature. Have you or your drummer figure out where the accents are. That'll make it easier. Like if you have a riff in 9/8, are the accents:
1 23 45 6 7 8 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
etc etc...
beer bear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keth
Death metal shouldn't be fun

You already answered the question in your second part -> the smoothest time signatures changes are the ones that aren't "yeah we put a time signature change".
What this means to you is that you should get the sound/riffs in your head first, then figure them out. If there's a time signature change in those riffs, then cool. If not, still cool.

Anyway, Cannibal Corpse later works, Nile and Defeated Sanity have quite some time signature changes, for standard death metal. If you're interested in the what lighter, more prog style: Cynic and Gordian Knot.

Defeated Sanity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFF...&feature=relmfu

Gordian Knot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zo7...feature=related

This. Though, you can always "fine tune" the riff that you have written in 4/4. For example the end of Ozzy Osbourne's "No More Tears" (I know, it's not death metal ) is the same riff as before but in 4/4 + 5/4.

You could also change the drum beat.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: