Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Alphaform

Big band solo help

I have a huge solo in a Big Band I'm in. It goes for about 44-48 bars, not too sure of the top of my head but I'm having trouble with it.

Like I know the scales but I'm having trouble getting ideas for solos for this style. The song is in swing.

If anyone has any example of guitarists doing solos in a swing song for a big band itd be much appreciated. Im not use to solos in Big Bands that are heavy Jazz. I'm only good at improving really with blues and funk, rock etc.

Thanks
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
GoldenGuitar

May I ask what tempo the tune is at? That will help me answer your question in more detail.
Anyway playing a solo in a Big Band is pretty much the same as improvising in any other context. Learn the head inside out. Do interesting variations of the melody, mix up the rhythm, insert new notes in. Then improvise your own responding line by replying to the melody, build some tension then finish off. Basically you want to have something to say. You don't need to play a lot of notes if you can't pull it off. Saying a lot with a little bit of material is better than saying little with lots of material. In your situation, starting of slow and sparse is a good idea as the solo goes for 44-48 bars. Also, remember to swing!
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

Maybe you should listen to some Guthrie Govan.

And you have like 40 bars, so you have the time to really build it up. It's probably one big crescendo so start slow and keep getting more intense...

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #4
FrauVfromPoB
A Reasonably Talented Guy

Don't forget to sort of sculpt it. Good solos have contours. They usually start slower and lower, then build momentum as they move into a higher register. In the last few measures you may want to slow it back down, and try to reach a sort of middle ground between the beginning and middle in terms of both momentum and pitch. Start and end on the tonic if at all possible.

The guitarist in this group is Django Reinhardt. Dude's a pimp. It's not really big band, but guitar usually takes a backseat to horns on big band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Lightfoot
I opened the door and went round and round and I banged my head and then my arm fell off.

Last edited by FrauVfromPoB : 02-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.
FrauVfromPoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Bingt
?

Brian setzer has done a lot of things with a big band, look him up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly_90
go back to the pit

Bingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Alphaform

Cheers guys, it's at 150bpm, so pretty fast
Alphaform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
bondmorkret

Trad jazz big band solos tend to be quite conservative, so I'd avoid silly fast runs or any particularly modern scale choices. Try to outline the changes using a mixture of chord tones and chromatic passing notes. If you struggle with that, try figuring out 'umbrella scales' that fit over several consecutive chords, and use them as safe options!

Rate This Thread: