Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #1
brownshirt1

ASPERGER'S disorder has been removed from the major psychiatric manual

Quote:
ASPERGER'S disorder has been removed from the major psychiatric manual, leaving patients worried it will make life even harder.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...v-1226529010297

Quote:
Asperger's, a disorder where people are often highly skilled but find social situations difficult, will be removed from the new edition released next year and folded into an umbrella diagnosis "autism spectrum disorder" which includes kids with severe autism.
"It's going to set the whole journey back," said Garry Burge, 40, who has Asperger's. "It's removing the label that assists people understand who they are."

Has anyone in the pit been diagnosed with the disorder? If so, how will this affect you, if et al?
brownshirt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

The DSM is mostly utter arse. I mean sadly it's the kind of utter arse that employers and legislators get to use, but it's hopeless.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #3
ErikLensherr
blackflag pls

hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I kissed a child, just so said child could know what kissing is.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
brownshirt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
The DSM is mostly utter arse. I mean sadly it's the kind of utter arse that employers and legislators get to use, but it's hopeless.

Okay.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

I say As-per-jess

Not Ass-Burgers, like South Park would have you say.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

Um...actually, most psychiatrists consider the DSM-IV a very reliable source. So, as the son of psychiatrist, I really don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Edit:
Although, the idiot they quoted doesn't know what he's talking about (not that most non-psychiatrists/psychologists/other mental health workers do in regards to mental health issues). The fact that Asperger's is being classified under Autistic disorders doesn't mean that the "label" or the disorder or whatever "goes away" in medical use. It just means that psychiatry, as a whole, has decided that it is a form of autism. It won't affect anything beyond that, realistically.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 12-03-2012 at 01:44 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
brownshirt1

Quote:
So, as the son of psychiatrist

This explains a lot.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Um...actually, most psychiatrists consider the DSM-IV a very reliable source. So, as the son of psychiatrist, I really don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I thought that after Rosenhan the concept of providing a check-list of symptoms by which you can diagnose psychiatric disorders had been considered to be naive?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

They should get rid of all classifiers and just call them ******s like in the old days.
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
I thought that after Rosenhan the concept of providing a check-list of symptoms by which you can diagnose psychiatric disorders had been considered to be naive?

Of course it is, but it's still a useful source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-IV#DSM-IV_.281994.29
Quote:
DSM-IV states, "there is no assumption each category of mental disorder is a completely discrete entity with absolute boundaries" but isolated, low-grade and noncriterion (unlisted for a given disorder) symptoms are not given importance.[24] Qualifiers are sometimes used, for example mild, moderate or severe forms of a disorder. For nearly half the disorders, symptoms must be sufficient to cause "clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning", although DSM-IV-TR removed the distress criterion from tic disorders and several of the paraphilias.

So, still useful in a broad sense, as the above quote demonstrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownshirt1
This explains a lot.

I'm not sure what you mean by that...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #11
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Of course it is, but it's still a useful source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSM-IV#DSM-IV_.281994.29

So, still useful in a broad sense, as the above quote demonstrates.

Oh okay. I only know this from a friend I have who's studying psychiatry. He was saying that in one of his placement things he got fed up with the psychiatrist he was placed with who would just diagnose based on this list and description of symptoms. Was quite probably an anomaly. In a broad sense it could obviously help; I was merely disconcerted by the notion of using it as a guideline to diagnosing serious psychological conditions.

The fact that it has moved Asperger's onto the autistic spectrum though is troubling, as it proves rights many of the critics of the DSM who point to the fact that it seems quite detached from the scientific basis of psychology.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #12
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:

Edit:
Although, the idiot they quoted doesn't know what he's talking about (not that most non-psychiatrists/psychologists/other mental health workers do in regards to mental health issues). The fact that Asperger's is being classified under Autistic disorders doesn't mean that the "label" or the disorder or whatever "goes away" in medical use. It just means that psychiatry, as a whole, has decided that it is a form of autism. It won't affect anything beyond that, realistically.

THIS

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Oh okay. I only know this from a friend I have who's studying psychiatry. He was saying that in one of his placement things he got fed up with the psychiatrist he was placed with who would just diagnose based on this list and description of symptoms. Was quite probably an anomaly. In a broad sense it could obviously help; I was merely disconcerted by the notion of using it as a guideline to diagnosing serious psychological conditions.

Well...if that doctor was doing that, then I would venture to call him a very bad psychiatrist. They've not done that since they figured out that electro-shock treatment could be just as harmful to the brain as helpful.

Quote:
The fact that it has moved Asperger's onto the autistic spectrum though is troubling, as it proves rights many of the critics of the DSM who point to the fact that it seems quite detached from the scientific basis of psychology.

The DSM is mainly psychiatric. Psychiatry examines the chemicals in the brain (and the reactions of said chemicals with the brain). Frankly, psychiatry is a more pure science, while psychology is a form of social science.

Psychologists can whine all they want, but psychiatry should (and does) determine the final say on matters of mental health.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 12-03-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #14
SSaxdude

My mother is a school social worker. She works with many Autistic children, and we've discussed this change to the DSM before. From what I remember, it sounds like the change will lump the Asperger's kids into the Autistic spectrum. Also, the next DSM will have some really big changes to alcoholism.
SSaxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #15
SteveHouse
trys hard, loves the game

Quote:

No it doesn't. How does it

1. give label to certain diagnosis under larger umbrella of "pervasive developmental disorders"
2. research builds to support it being a milder form of autism
3. the diagnosis is merged with autism

that sounds pretty scientific to me, no?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (・ω・`)

SteveHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #16
StewieSwan
Play my dudelsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSaxdude
My mother is a school social worker. She works with many Autistic children, and we've discussed this change to the DSM before. From what I remember, it sounds like the change will lump the Asperger's kids into the Autistic spectrum. Also, the next DSM will have some really big changes to alcoholism.

Actually, Asperger's is already 'lumped' into the autism spectrum.

Knee jerking errywhur
StewieSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHouse
No it doesn't. How does it

1. give label to certain diagnosis under larger umbrella of "pervasive developmental disorders"
2. research builds to support it being a milder form of autism
3. the diagnosis is merged with autism

that sounds pretty scientific to me, no?

It seems a rather arbitrary class of illness, autism, and given that Asperger's doesn't even display many of the traits associated with autism or have a great deal in relation neurologically it seems rather peculiar to merge them. I guess most of all it just seems pointless; there's no need to merge them.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
SteveHouse

In the last open draft, the update also completely revamped personality disorders, in order to try to get rid of the subjective and biased nature of how they're diagnosed. Can't guarantee that made the final cut though. But I know it's been in the news this week that gender identity disorder has been.... renamed.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
Eastwinn
provenance&provenience

Quote:
The DSM is mainly psychiatric. Psychiatry examines the chemicals in the brain (and the reactions of said chemicals with the brain). Frankly, psychiatry is a more pure science, while psychology is a form of social science.

Psychologists can whine all they want, but psychiatry should (and does) determine the final say on matters of mental health.

lol did your dad tell you all that too?
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 AM   #20
SteveHouse

Quote:
It seems a rather arbitrary class of illness, autism, and given that Asperger's doesn't even display many of the traits associated with autism or have a great deal in relation neurologically it seems rather peculiar to merge them. I guess most of all it just seems pointless; there's no need to merge them.

The hell is "seems"? Do you "know" that through your friend too? Cause it's also bullshit that they're not related. Complete and utter bunk. The single thing at heart in both of them is a sheer inability to relate to others in meaningful ways. The difference seems to be in the functioning of the individual, from possible MR-level IQ (severe autism) to actually quite high functioning except for hating personal contact so much even eye contact physically hurts (Asperger's). If we didn't have the last 15 years of work supporting a continuum of all the pervasive developmental disorders, this proposed revision would never have happened, let alone passed. The "need" to merge them comes from the world of funding, and from coming up with a more accurate description of the disorder so that no one is misdiagnosed or missed entirely.

tl;dr,

because we don't work in "seems" where I come from.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote:

Rate This Thread: