Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Bellular Tubes Heavy Symphonic Metal

Long ago I made some thread somewhere about something. Don't know what happened to it and don't care. So here is a new song I uploaded on youtube for whoever to check out.

LINK


I figure I'll be doing this(making a thread) for a new song every so often. I don't know if that's against the rules and whatnot though. So if it is let me know.

I make music in a plethora of different genres, so if you're willing you might find something on my youtube channel to your liking.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
The_Musician321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Crit as I listen.

Really liking the use of the bells. The riffs are pretty epic. Especially at about 2:15. How you flowed into it from the raunchy lead part before it. I really like music like this. Very Symphony X, Dream Theater Images and Words-ish. Great Job.

Just one question. Did you write the guitar drums and bass parts first then come up with the strings, piano, ect? Or the other way around?

Last edited by The_Musician321 : 09-15-2012 at 02:47 PM.
The_Musician321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Thanks man for the insight. I like both of them bands.

For the writing it's almost in tandem. I always start on guitar first though because that's the only instrument I actually have. I just use it to figure out the notes for all other instruments besides the drums. I play something on the guitar; it might end up as the piano, violin, choir, etc. I just do whatever I feel at the time.

A little self-promotion here adding to the already self promoting thread- You might also like "The New Age of Heresy" or "Angels and Demons." They're similar in some cases, but maybe just a bit heavier and technical.

Angels and Demons-

The New Age of Heresy-

Thanks again for listening.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
fc89konkari
UG Addict
 
fc89konkari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Finland
Definitely created a sort of an atmosphere with the bells, like doomsday is coming or something which is always a positive thing. If music makes you feel any emotions, it has made an impact. I'm not a pro mixer, but I feel like you could've occupied the treble/pres. frequencies a bit more with something (which is always hard without vocals) Like with the lead guitar during the solo. I digged the continuity of the piece. Everything slided from one thing to another really naturally

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1563206

All crits appreciated!
-Jonathan
__________________
My music sucks, don't listen to it.
Note: this is not reverse psychology.

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96

Last edited by fc89konkari : 09-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
For whatever reason the bells jumped out at me on this one haha. So I jumped on them and threw em' in. That intro, with just the bells is what started the whole thing. Funny thing, I ALWAYS started with the intro. I've never started anywhere else for whatever reason. I'll be the first to say I'm a bum at mixing. Even more so I hate doing it lol. I'm still working on it though. For leads though I know I need to start using my bridge a little more with a less aggressive tone.

Thank you for the insight and listening.

As for your song "Devotion," the riffs were pretty neat man. I also liked the coinciding soft melody with the heavier riff beside it in one of the sections. The full-on clean section was very nice too. You have a good sounding clean tone. You also have good continuity on that one. I think the main riffs would sound a bit better with a more aggressive tone though. Also the bridge to the solo(I believe that what is) would have been better if it was paired with a harmony, instead of just the single note pattern. Also with the technicals riffs as the precursor, I was half expecting craziness in the solo. Although the solo was nice and maybe even a good counter point to the technical riffage. It was well done song overall.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
fc89konkari
UG Addict
 
fc89konkari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by j456235
As for your song "Devotion," the riffs were pretty neat man. I also liked the coinciding soft melody with the heavier riff beside it in one of the sections. The full-on clean section was very nice too. You have a good sounding clean tone. You also have good continuity on that one. I think the main riffs would sound a bit better with a more aggressive tone though. Also the bridge to the solo(I believe that what is) would have been better if it was paired with a harmony, instead of just the single note pattern. Also with the technicals riffs as the precursor, I was half expecting craziness in the solo. Although the solo was nice and maybe even a good counter point to the technical riffage. It was well done song overall.

Thanks man! I sort of tried keeping the tone a little step back from BR000TALZ but yeah, I gotta try taking a more raw approach to it Tbh I didn't really find the riffs that technical, I just tried to have "something going on" in there And my solos are always about as technical as that. That's because I can't play any faster or so I morelike focus on the notes I'm using, rather then ripping sweeps or anything. As I'm no virtuoso, I tend to just stick within my limits, because if I play something I can't play (duh) it'll just sound like shit

Thanks!
-Jonathan
__________________
My music sucks, don't listen to it.
Note: this is not reverse psychology.

http://soundcloud.com/joneh
My Youtube channel: /JoonatanH96
fc89konkari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
The_Musician321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
The angels and demons track I really, really liked. Just like the description said. It's like it started off in heaven, had that little bit in the middle that conveyed falling, then the last bit was heavy, you'e in hell kinda riffs. The part where everything dropped out except for the bass was really cool too.

The second track was really cool. You shredded the hell out of the lead. That was pretty sick. The riff at the 2 minute mark was really cool.
The_Musician321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #8
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fc89konkari
Thanks man! I sort of tried keeping the tone a little step back from BR000TALZ but yeah, I gotta try taking a more raw approach to it Tbh I didn't really find the riffs that technical, I just tried to have "something going on" in there And my solos are always about as technical as that. That's because I can't play any faster or so I morelike focus on the notes I'm using, rather then ripping sweeps or anything. As I'm no virtuoso, I tend to just stick within my limits, because if I play something I can't play (duh) it'll just sound like shit


That's cool man. Speed comes with time. It's good you focus on less notes too. Sometimes less is more as they say. This is something I need to pay attention to more lol. I play melodic sometimes, but I believe not enough. Besides, it's the "right" notes, in the "right" places that matters, not how many. "Right" is in parentheses because music is subjective. Even music theory, is well, just a theory lol. You doing fine dude. Just keep at it.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Musician321
The angels and demons track I really, really liked. Just like the description said. It's like it started off in heaven, had that little bit in the middle that conveyed falling, then the last bit was heavy, you'e in hell kinda riffs. The part where everything dropped out except for the bass was really cool too.

The second track was really cool. You shredded the hell out of the lead. That was pretty sick. The riff at the 2 minute mark was really cool.


Thanks man for taking the time to check them out. I appreciate it; happy you liked them. Yea, on that second one, sometimes I just get a little lost in the noodling haha.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
MetalCommand
Disappear to Infinity
 
MetalCommand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK
First off, funny song title
First lead part reminds me of Thunderstruck by AC/DC. All the keyboards create a nice atmosphere as well. sounds good when the heavy guitars come in at 1:10. Some nice rhythms and textures going on here and some pretty quick shreddage as well. Transitions nicely to quiet part at 2:50. Solo is pretty cool and lead guitar has a very nice tone. The production is decent although I think they rhythm guitar tone has some room for improvement, it's a little fuzzy for me. The drums are slightly on the quiet side also. Anyway though, I really like the song overall, quite ambitious and you're certainly doing something interesting.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1564187
MetalCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Splitvision
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Very nice! Lots of stylish riffs here. The one starting at 1:06 and ending at 1:45 especially caught my attention. Leads were good throughout. As for the overall composition, I didn't feel it flowed perfectly at all times - in particular so at the switch from a heavy riff to the piano thingy at 2:42. It wasn't because of the switch from heavy to soft of course but the progression itself. But for the most part, it was coherent enough and as said many of the riffs were killer.

I thought the combinations of synths, guitars etc. were superb throughout, many nice sounds. Everything is nicely played, drums sounded very good - are they "real"? As for the mix itself, I felt the instruments were in good balance relative to each other - but the whole mix seemed kind of distant (not due to the reverb on the lead, which I, by the way, would tone down just a notch). Not an expert in mixing so not sure exactly what could be done to improve this, but I would play around with the mastering EQ for a bit. And yeah, awesome title

Would be cool if you critted a bit on my freshest material:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1564470
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalCommand
First off, funny song title
First lead part reminds me of Thunderstruck by AC/DC. All the keyboards create a nice atmosphere as well. sounds good when the heavy guitars come in at 1:10. Some nice rhythms and textures going on here and some pretty quick shreddage as well. Transitions nicely to quiet part at 2:50. Solo is pretty cool and lead guitar has a very nice tone. The production is decent although I think they rhythm guitar tone has some room for improvement, it's a little fuzzy for me. The drums are slightly on the quiet side also. Anyway though, I really like the song overall, quite ambitious and you're certainly doing something interesting.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1564187


Haha, usually for titles I have trouble thinking of one but this one jumped out at me as soon as I decide to use the bells. For the rhythm with my symphonic stuff I don't believe I've found a really good mesh yet in terms of tone, but I haven't stopped playing and writing to find one yet. Yea in the mix I put the guitar up more and it overpowered the drums, not to mention the orchestra. Glad you like it. My favorite genre is thrash metal but I think my symphonic stuff always ends up the most interesting. Thank you for listening.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
j456235
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitvision
Very nice! Lots of stylish riffs here. The one starting at 1:06 and ending at 1:45 especially caught my attention. Leads were good throughout. As for the overall composition, I didn't feel it flowed perfectly at all times - in particular so at the switch from a heavy riff to the piano thingy at 2:42. It wasn't because of the switch from heavy to soft of course but the progression itself. But for the most part, it was coherent enough and as said many of the riffs were killer.

I thought the combinations of synths, guitars etc. were superb throughout, many nice sounds. Everything is nicely played, drums sounded very good - are they "real"? As for the mix itself, I felt the instruments were in good balance relative to each other - but the whole mix seemed kind of distant (not due to the reverb on the lead, which I, by the way, would tone down just a notch). Not an expert in mixing so not sure exactly what could be done to improve this, but I would play around with the mastering EQ for a bit. And yeah, awesome title

Would be cool if you critted a bit on my freshest material:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1564470


Yea man, I think that riff was kinda power metal-y or something. May just be the synths, violins, etc, that make it seem better though haha. If by progression you mean the sudden shift, yea, I do that a lot sometimes. I've always like sudden shifts for whatever reason.

Nope the drums come from Guitar Pro 6. You can tinker with them in-program, and that's what I ended up with after some trial and error. Not an expert on mixing? You and me both haha. I still think I'm a bum. It's always a learning experience though, just like playing the guitar. Tubular Bells, Bellular Tubes, it just jumped at me haha. Thank you for listening and I'll check out your song soon.
j456235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.