Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #43
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Yeah man...The Crossroads... /thread
91RG350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #44
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Well, my friends band made a music video, then F5'd the **** outta that bitch. It worked somehow, despite the obviousness of their ploy, and they got contacted by the same online promoter who does Metallica and Falling In Reverse, so ya know, small steps like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #45
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:50 AM   #46
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

it's pretty easy, all you gotta do is already have money and promote the **** out of your youtube videos
Old 09-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #47
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer

Whether that story is true or not, I like the song.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #48
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Remorselessly sell yourself like a crack ***** aching for the next fix
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #49
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
I dunno. I think cream rises.

See, I'd disagree with this and give you examples, but given what you've said about your taste in the past on this forum you'd probably think they were all bad/boring without enough hooks. But you are wrong.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #50
jkielq91

Go to Russia and play some anti political anthems in a Cathedral.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #51
seljer
UG Resident

Viral youtube video is probably the fastest way
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #52
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
See, I'd disagree with this and give you examples, but given what you've said about your taste in the past on this forum you'd probably think they were all bad/boring without enough hooks. But you are wrong.

no, the cream definitely rises
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #53
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche

We might disagree about specific taste. But believe it or not I'm fairly capable of recognizing a difference between "good/bad" and "I like it/don't like it" in a lot of genres.

Ultimately, within the genres I follow most closely, I can say this pretty clearly:

When I've gone and seen unknowns/unheard of bands, they've generally been worse than the known/famous ones I've seen. Therefore, within the genres I can speak intelligently about (which is to say, not anything where the name ends with -core) it really does look like cream rises.

Now, sometimes paths are curvy, not straight. One of my favorite artists signed a major label deal, they were clearly lost as to what to do with her and made her music much more generic and boring. But that was a springboard to get her to a place of producing and distributing her own music, and she's making her living writing and selling her music. Another artist I saw was fantastic live, but then split with the band she was with and ended up doing much more boring music as a solo musician - I don't think she understood the value of the band behind her.

But I can't look at cases like that and say "the cream doesn't rise." The first artist got her shot, and it didn't turn her into a U2-sized superstar but it got her to a place most of us would be thrilled to be. The second is really young and may yet find her footing, but has primarily herself to blame (in my opinion) for why her stuff isn't moving forward in the way that it was.

When I look at bands that have some regional success but have never really broken out, I usually feel like I can see why. eg, maybe somebody like The Mother Hips.

I would be very curious to hear the examples you think prove me wrong, even if they don't fit in with what you think is my taste.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #54
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:

I would be very curious to hear the examples you think prove me wrong, even if they don't fit in with what you think is my taste.

dope cellar
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #55
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
dope cellar

Near as I can tell, their debut came out last year.

They don't appear to have their own website set up.

Leaving aside any sort of comment about their quality (this is not a sort of music I connect with, so it's hard for me to judge how well this music would satisfy people who like it, but I don't immediately see it as something that couldn't succeed with the audience that, say, Cinema Strange enjoyed) I don't think this is a good example, simply because they're too new.

Saying that the cream rises doesn't mean that your first album is going to be a huge hit. Honestly, these guys don't look like they're really trying, and it looks like they haven't be at it that long.

Let's see them try - get their music out there, push it, get a decent web site, tour, etc - before we declare that they haven't had their fair shot at recognition.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
ShredKingGeorge
Forum Contributor

You can look into a mentor Ė someone who has already done it and become their student if they teach music business.

Another thing is that EVERYONE in your band must have the same goal f becoming famous for example. A band wonít become famous if there are people that arenít pulling their weight, itís like a business and that are how I can make this assumption about lazy band members.

http://www.guitarlessonsinvredenburg.com/
ShredKingGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #57
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Near as I can tell, their debut came out last year.

They don't appear to have their own website set up.

Leaving aside any sort of comment about their quality (this is not a sort of music I connect with, so it's hard for me to judge how well this music would satisfy people who like it, but I don't immediately see it as something that couldn't succeed with the audience that, say, Cinema Strange enjoyed) I don't think this is a good example, simply because they're too new.

Saying that the cream rises doesn't mean that your first album is going to be a huge hit. Honestly, these guys don't look like they're really trying, and it looks like they haven't be at it that long.

Let's see them try - get their music out there, push it, get a decent web site, tour, etc - before we declare that they haven't had their fair shot at recognition.

these guys

that was a live EP, his dope cellar debut came out last year. and why would he need a website for it if he has a facebook and last.fm with all of his releases on it as well as free downloads

he's been making anti-dub, witch house, and trip hop since 2008, and has released nearly 30 albums and a handful of EPs and splits

#yolo

Last edited by Hail : 09-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #58
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
A band is a small business. Start with a product and sell sell sell.
This is the truth of it. Very rarely is it possible to just ride talent straight up to the top. You have to be vigilant about knowing the market you want to appeal to, making a product you believe in, then spreading the word about this product (in other words, advertising endlessly and intelligently).

If you're not in fact a troll, and are actually serious about marketing a band, this talk will give you some invaluable insight: http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sine...ire_action.html
Old 09-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #59
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
these guys

that was a live EP, his dope cellar debut came out last year. and why would he need a website for it if he has a facebook and last.fm with all of his releases on it as well as free downloads

he's been making anti-dub, witch house, and trip hop since 2008, and has released nearly 30 albums and a handful of EPs and splits

#yolo

I like trip hop. What name is that stuff under?

Why would he need a website? Simple: I tried to find out some information about him and couldn't. If I had heard a track and wanted to download or buy more of their material, he made it hard for me to do so. Heck, you tell me he's got 30 albums out, and he made it almost impossible for me to know that. WHere is that information online?

If I was an obssessive fan of that one track ready to shell out a lot of money to buy a lot of his work, I couldn't do it. He's made it impossible.

He has his myspace. His facebook didn't show up on the first page of my google search. Dope Cellar doesn't have a wikipedia page. You say this guy has released a bunch of albums, but the simple truth is that it was not easy for me to find from the name "Dope Cellar" -

THAT is why he needs a website.

He has a facebook page. It was 21 likes and contains zero information about the band.

Because lets say I liked a track I heard. Business 101: make it easy for me to be a customer. Make it easy for me to find your other work.

He's not doing this. So if he's failing, he can't blame his lack of opportunity. He's not doing reasonable work to get his name out there.

Am I supposed to recognize that picture?

(Also, 30 albums in four years? If that's the case, then these guys don't have a CLUE how to market themselves, and have only themselves to blame. Again, no comment about quality here although releasing 30 albums in four years makes me skeptical about what the quality could be, but there is a marketing failure of unbelievable proportions here if this guy is any good. It doesn't seem like he's even trying).

This guy is either incredibly lazy, doesn't care about marketting his work, or doesn't have the slightest clue how to go about doing it.

And, somewhat snarkily, I'm inclined to add that having more albums and eps released than facebook likes makes it hard to believe that he's actually a great songwriter.

Last edited by HotspurJr : 09-17-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #60
Saif Mehdi

By writing really good songs - even though that hasn't been in done for two decades
Saif Mehdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: