Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
frankibo
UG Board King

8 String

Haven't uploaded anything on here in a while so thought I might as well put something up.
I bought an 8 string a few months ago and it piqued my creativity.
Here's a selection of pieces I've written since, please to critique any that take your fancy. They're not necessary complete, but I thought I'd upload the decent ones anyway.
I assure you I will critique in return but I can't assure you it will be prompt, it depends how busy I am in the following weeks.

EDIT: I used RedDeath's idea of reusing a previous theme from Mass later in the song, so I've re-uploaded it with that change.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 8 string.zip (43.6 KB, 762 views)

Colossus

Last edited by frankibo : 09-20-2012 at 03:53 AM.
frankibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
amonamarthmetal

was it really necessary to buy an 8 string instead of just tuning a 6-7 string down really low?
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
Wampler Ego Compressor
ISP Decimator G-string
MXR 10 Band EQ
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
StrumThatFender

I thought Cavern was really cool. Very atmospheric.
StrumThatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
was it really necessary to buy an 8 string instead of just tuning a 6-7 string down really low?

But then you lose the higher end for the deedly doodly
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:

Nothing in music is necessary. That's the beauty of it.
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Quote:

String gauges bro.

I'll check out the songs later, I gotta sleep for now.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time

Last edited by RedDeath9 : 09-17-2012 at 02:58 AM.
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:

All I can tell you is that the 8 string piqued me creativity in a way that I haven't experienced for quite some time.
Also I have my 8 string in Drop E, which is just 8 string standard with the low F# dropped to E, it's the 8 string analogue of 6 string Drop D. I would not want a 6 string in Drop E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
But then you lose the higher end for the deedly doodly

I'm not that sort of guitarist really, my lead playing is terrible, but it's nice to have the higher registers available for whenever I want them, you can play some cool chords that extend over 4 or more octaves or play melodies up there (obviously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumThatFender
I thought Cavern was really cool. Very atmospheric.

Thanks, atmospheric is about the only thing it has going for it. Although it's not marked as No 1 it's actually the first song I wrote on my 8 string. I wrote and recorded it almost instantly and then tabbed it out after so I could write bass and drums and then record them.
All I did was play that low E octave with a lot of reverb and it sounded badass, like being in a cave. I just had to do something with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Nothing in music is necessary. That's the beauty of it.

Amen.

Colossus

Last edited by frankibo : 09-17-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Carl6661
UG Freak

I'm just commenting here for the moment so this is easy to find and I can critique this stuff later. I had a quick listen through and it sounds pretty good, although I'll go through in a bit more detail later.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.

Last edited by Carl6661 : 09-19-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Carl6661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Ometh
nobody

I'm not going to crit this right now since shit is about to be expelled from my anus at an extreme force, but you rely too much on the low E and on octaves basically. No offense, but you bought an 8 STRING.
EDIT: Also, before I really shit myself: loads of songs were on the key of E, and that kind of bugged me a bit. Try to stay away from that a bit IMO.

Last edited by Ometh : 09-19-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
I'm not going to crit this right now since shit is about to be expelled from my anus at an extreme force, but you rely too much on the low E and on octaves basically. No offense, but you bought an 8 STRING.
EDIT: Also, before I really shit myself: loads of songs were on the key of E, and that kind of bugged me a bit. Try to stay away from that a bit IMO.

Yeah they're both fair points. It's hard to resist slapping that low E in all the time, it sounds delicious. It's also hard to avoid writing in the key of whatever drop tuning you're in but that's hardly something that just I do. If you're in Drop A# you tend to write in A#, Drop C write in C etc. It's a natural way to write for people who aren't particularly good or experienced at song writing.
Thanks for the words though, definitely food for thought that I'll pay a lot of attention to as I continue to write with the 8 string.

Colossus
Old 09-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
Yeah they're both fair points. It's hard to resist slapping that low E in all the time, it sounds delicious. It's also hard to avoid writing in the key of whatever drop tuning you're in but that's hardly something that just I do. If you're in Drop A# you tend to write in A#, Drop C write in C etc. It's a natural way to write for people who aren't particularly good or experienced at song writing.
Thanks for the words though, definitely food for thought that I'll pay a lot of attention to as I continue to write with the 8 string.

Yeah, I'm also very guilty of this, but as soon you get used to the tuning you start wandering off that low note, me thinks.
When I first tuned down to C# (lol so low amirite) I was like "**** yeah, this sounds heavy" and based my riffs around that alot. And while I still do nowadays, I try to make them a bit different ya know, make the songs stand out from each other. You could easily throw all of those low E riffs together and create the longest djent song evah lol.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
You could easily throw all of those low E riffs together and create the longest djent song evah lol.

Lol I'd like to think some of the riffs wouldn't fit together too well and actually have some kind of unique agreement with the song's they're placed in...

Colossus
Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Carl6661
UG Freak

Animals -
This one really reminded me of Wave of Babies by AAL for a while. It does change alot, but the clean part at the start and the opening low sting riff thing really had that kind of vibe. All the riffs were solid, the drums worked well, not a whole lot to complain about really. If anything, the bit from 48 onwards didn't feel like it fit with the rest of the song. As a whole though, it's a good opening track.

8 String 2.gp5 -
Nice groovy intro. I can't help thinking some kind of slapped bass part might sound better over the introduction. When the distorted guitars came in, I did feel it was getting a little samey, although the drums at 31 spiced it up nicely with the polyrhythm-thing. I liked how it went from 5 over 4 (Or whatever it is. What I mean is that the cymbal is being hit every five 16th notes) to 6 over 4 (Every six 16th notes. Again, I don't know if that's the right terminology). The riff at 53 was great, for some reason it reminded me of Deftones. 69 was a nice little 'nod' to the opening riffs, except with a heavier feel. The transition into 77 didn't quite feel right to me. I also didn't really like how the polyrhythm-thing started, lasted 2 bars, and just repeated. If I were you, I would either do what you did earlier and change the polyrhythm, or just keep it going longer before the repeat.

Mias Veil -
I didn't really enjoy this piece. I can't even really put my finger on why that is, weirdly. It's not by any means a bad piece of music, but for reasons I can't explain, I didn't 'connect' with it - I guess it just isn't to my taste.

Navi -
I really enjoyed this. It's a really nice change from the br00tz of the other songs . I'm a complete sucker for this kind of post rock-ish ambienty sort of stuff . When it did change, I wasn't too bothered. That riff really reminded me a bit of Vildhjarta (Or however it's spelt) and Meshuggah, which was cool. 71 onwards had a very Monuments sound to it. I think it's just the use of the dead notes, or how the riff is timed int he bar, but there is just something there that oozes Monuments to my ears, especially from 79. There I would say keep the bass as it was before, but have the guitars carry on the muted notes (Similar to the dagagadagaga in the Uncollective). Overall, this track was the highlight so far.

Cavern -
This is something I could really imagine Deftones playing, up until at 39 - it feels a bit too 'upbeat' there for them. It was a nice change of pace from the opening though, so I don't want that to come across as a negative point. The transition back t opening riff (Before the distorted guitars come in) felt a bit awkward. The section with distorted guitars didn't really feel like it belonged in this track to me - I would personally save that for something else if I were you.

Mass -
Through out the track I can hear the a big Vildhjarta influence. The whole piece is very to my liking, and there's not really much I would change. I'm fussy with drum parts, so I would probably alter parts, but as a whole, it's a good piece. If anything, you're relying a lot on the Low E. I bought an 8 string a few months back and suffer the same problem with my F, so I'm not saying what you're writing is 'wrong' because it has a lot of that note, it's just something to bear in mind as stuff will start to sound 'samey' eventually.

With that I'm going to give up for now. I'll do the rest at some point though.

Overall, I enjoyed what I heard. There were parts I wasn't keen on, but to a point I put that down to MIDI/Guitar Pro sound as much as anything else. In a good recording, my opinion might well be different. As a whole, I'd give it 7 or 8 out of 10.

You're doing a whole lot better than me with 8 string, I bought mine a few months back and have only written about two full songs with it! Bloody fun to just play around on aimlessly though.

I don't like Avenged Sevenfold anymore. I was 14 when I joined & the 6661 in the username seemed a great idea at the time. Sigh.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
frankibo
UG Board King

Wow Carl, thanks for that detailed critique., such a gent. I'll return the favour for sure next time you put something up on here. Upload those 8 string songs maybe? I always love checking your stuff out/

I clearly express my influences way too obviously!
Animals was influenced by Wave of Babies (hence animals), Navi did have a lot of Meshuggah and Monuments influence in the later sections and Mass is basically a fairly shameless Vildhjarta rip-off (hence Mass as in Masstaden).
Lots of good points though that I'll take on board!

Colossus
Old 09-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
Carl6661
UG Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankibo
Wow Carl, thanks for that detailed critique., such a gent. I'll return the favour for sure next time you put something up on here. Upload those 8 string songs maybe? I always love checking your stuff out/

I clearly express my influences way too obviously!
Animals was influenced by Wave of Babies (hence animals), Navi did have a lot of Meshuggah and Monuments influence in the later sections and Mass is basically a fairly shameless Vildhjarta rip-off (hence Mass as in Masstaden).
Lots of good points though that I'll take on board!

Detailed? I thought I was being anything but!

If I can find those songs, I'll chuck them up. They're hidden in a zip file somewhere in the depths of my external hard-drive.

I wouldn't say it's too obviously. About 90% of everything decent I've ever written has been a completely blatant rip-off of something else. I may as well blame my never ending creative block on the lack of a Fightstar album for me to rip-off since 2009!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl6661
Detailed? I thought I was being anything but!

If I can find those songs, I'll chuck them up. They're hidden in a zip file somewhere in the depths of my external hard-drive.

I wouldn't say it's too obviously. About 90% of everything decent I've ever written has been a completely blatant rip-off of something else. I may as well blame my never ending creative block on the lack of a Fightstar album for me to rip-off since 2009!

Haha I think it was only me and you who were on this forum and massively into Fightstar so it was only ever me who noticed the similarities!
If you can get some djent influence into that mix whilst adding your own spin on things you'd have a fierce piece of music.
If I ever formed a band I'd want it to be somewhere between Fightstar and TesseracT with other things sprinkled in obviously, but the layering of cleans and distortion with epic choruses and dark heavy moments is something those bands do fantastically but in very different ways.

Colossus
Old 09-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #17
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Man, I just wanna say that Mass was awesome. After bar 42, I started anticipating a climax with that same rhythm but sped up, and at 55 you totally nailed it. That was perfect. However, rather than the lead you chose at 60, I would have tried to repeat a previous theme. But other than that, it was really eerie and well-done.

I'll comment on your other songs at my leisure No need for a C4C.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #18
frankibo
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDeath9
However, rather than the lead you chose at 60, I would have tried to repeat a previous theme.

Thanks man, and that is an excellent idea. I never did like that lead, it's pretty shitty. I'll have a look at implementing your idea.

EDIT: Used that idea and re-uploaded the song with the change.

Colossus

Last edited by frankibo : 09-20-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
Rokkstar

First off, I updated the original post to link to the video and the video links to the FB page Thanks for the critique. Here's the link to the video:

Now, on to my crit.

No joke... 12 tone starts off really grooving dude. I loved it. But at measure 17 it starts being to weird to my taste. O.o I was like wtf. But up until that point it was a boss dude.

Animals was like one of the coolest clean intros I've ever heard dude. At measure 11, it doesn't even feel awkward to be in 9/8. I genuinely think it's smooth. at 19 GP5 makes it sound weird for strings to be low haha. but it's great. 24 was where things got really cool to me. The clean over that distortion rhythm was great. at 40 it was cool how the guitar harmonized on top of the guitar again. I bet 46 would sound like a boss recorded dude. The clean ended out great. I'll get back to doing more it's pushing 1 in the morning haha.

I like lower tunings and loose low strings (7 and 8s) I dig this.
Rokkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #20
patrickaumon

Animals.

This shit is so damn good. I punched my balls several times listening it.
Just the starting chords make me spit blood as if someone threw a 10 wheeler to my face.

I'd like to see more of those chords implemented tho because after the intro it just gets chuggy on the low string and it gets boring
patrickaumon is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: