Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Cheap-o strat mods

I have a (dismantled) Fender Starcaster (not stratocaster - I'm sure you've seen them at Costco or something. Starter packs). I'm fixin' to have some extra cash and there are some mods I need input on:

1. New pickups. I'm thinking Hot Rails in the bridge and hot noiseless in the neck and middle. Opinions? I'll be using it for Strat-y stuff, SRV, Hendrix, Pearl Jam solos, you get the idea. Hot Rails would be for extra versatility. Also - how hard is it to make a coil-split for them? The body is routed for HSH, by the way.
2. New paint job. Is it possible to scrape off the original body paint and then re-finish the wood naturally? That'd be soooo sexy.
3. New tuners. What's good? What's not?

I won't have the money for a little while yet, this is just so I know what I'm lookin' at and what I can't/won't be able to do. I'd be nice to save a little and mod up my Tele too.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
coolbeanss

It's possible to get the paint off without to much effort but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the wood used to make a guitar you got from Costco isn't something you are gonna want the world to see.
coolbeanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
LeviMan_2001

I'd say if you're looking to do such typical 'straty' stuff then get some true strat type pickups (aka, not hot rails). Of course at the end of the day, what sounds good sounds good. So choose what you like haha
Old 09-18-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
browns82jk

I wouldnt even do it. Chances are with it being a starter guitar the wood isnt the best. Honestly buy a squier bullet strat if you want something cheap to mod the bodys are basswood and they only cost like 120 something. I actually plan on doing that with mine. I wanna get a custom neck from warmoth and throw some better pickups in it because honestly just for the body. Basswood routed and finished its worth the 120.
browns82jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Jarrodthebobo
Youth Gone Wild

ah modified one of these inta ma frankenstrat. take a look it be in ma signiture.

ya can strip the paint off but it takes alot of effort.

FrankenBee Build
Jarrodthebobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: