Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
JayCartay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
How and When to use a Delay Pedal?

I'm massively into Angels and Airwaves, as well as other stuff like Foo Fighters and that sort of thing. I've read a little bit about using delay pedals to produce some nice effects but don't actually know anything about how you use one etc.

Are they more like an echo than an actual delay? How do you set one up?
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
 
J-Dawg158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCartay
Are they more like an echo than an actual delay? How do you set one up?


Most can be set up either way. It basically works by taking your signal and copying it and playing it again after a certain period of time. Most have a delay time that you can change to create a thick slap-back delay(low delay time) to full on echos(long delay time.)

It works like most other effects, just put it in your signal chain and experiment. If you have an effects loop then it's usually better to put the delay there(less noise), but that's not to say you can't use it wherever.

The important controls available on most units and how they work (in practical terms) are:

Feedback: This controls how many times the signal is repeated. Low settings will repeat once, high settings will repeat several times.

Delay time: This controls how long(usually in milliseconds) it takes for the repeat to play. Low settings repeat very fast, note that settings less than about 30ms is practically instant and usually result in a thicker sound, whereas 30ms - 300ms gives a slap-back, meaning the repeat plays about the time the original ends if played staccato. Larger settings get into being like an echo or can roughly be used to create a harmony.

Delay Level: This controls how loud the delayed signal is. Low means it's practically unheard and high means it's just as loud as the original.
__________________
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
JayCartay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
Most can be set up either way. It basically works by taking your signal and copying it and playing it again after a certain period of time. Most have a delay time that you can change to create a thick slap-back delay(low delay time) to full on echos(long delay time.)

It works like most other effects, just put it in your signal chain and experiment. If you have an effects loop then it's usually better to put the delay there(less noise), but that's not to say you can't use it wherever.

The important controls available on most units and how they work (in practical terms) are:

Feedback: This controls how many times the signal is repeated. Low settings will repeat once, high settings will repeat several times.

Delay time: This controls how long(usually in milliseconds) it takes for the repeat to play. Low settings repeat very fast, note that settings less than about 30ms is practically instant and usually result in a thicker sound, whereas 30ms - 300ms gives a slap-back, meaning the repeat plays about the time the original ends if played staccato. Larger settings get into being like an echo or can roughly be used to create a harmony.

Delay Level: This controls how loud the delayed signal is. Low means it's practically unheard and high means it's just as loud as the original.


Thanks, that's really helpful

When you say it can be set up either way, I take it that you always hear the actual note you played straightaway, regardless of the delay you're using?

If I wanted to use one with an overdrive pedal or my Blues Driver pedal, which order should the pedals be placed in?

Finally, any recommendations on pedals for me? I would ideally like to keep it under 50 GBP used, but if there's nothing decent in that range I can go to 150 GBP.
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
 
J-Dawg158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCartay
When you say it can be set up either way, I take it that you always hear the actual note you played straightaway, regardless of the delay you're using?


Yea, you still hear the original regardless.

Quote:
If I wanted to use one with an overdrive pedal or my Blues Driver pedal, which order should the pedals be placed in?


Most of the time you want to place the delay after any kind of distortion/overdrive, including the distortion channel of the amp, if you have one and an effects loop. But it's not a hard fast rule. Try both ways and pick the one you like best.

Quote:
Finally, any recommendations on pedals for me? I would ideally like to keep it under 50 GBP used, but if there's nothing decent in that range I can go to 150 GBP.


I have the Boss DD-20 Giga delay and love it, but it's pretty expensive. Only other one I have experience with is the DD-3 and it wasn't bad(I guess I'm just a boss fanboy.) Of course I did have a GNX 3000 that I used for a while so if their stand-alone delay is just as good then you could check that out. To me the important aspect of a delay(aside from sound) is flexibility, so look to see how many milliseconds you can delay.
__________________
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
JayCartay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I've seen a fair few DD3's and DD6's on eBay. What's the difference between them, do you know? I'd be inclined to give one of those a try and see how I get on, and buy the DD-20 if I find I want more than they can give in the future.
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr
 
J-Dawg158's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Just from a quick look it appears that the DD-3 is mono, while the DD-6 is stero and allows for the delay to pan from left to right.
__________________
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
seljer
UG Resident
 
seljer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dawg158
Just from a quick look it appears that the DD-3 is mono, while the DD-6 is stero and allows for the delay to pan from left to right.

and tap tempo which makes it easier to do the U2 type rhythmic delay stuff (the newer DD7 also improves on this function)
seljer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
JayCartay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
OK cool. I will go for a DD-6 or DD-7 then. Cheers folks
JayCartay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:09 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.