Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #1
Standarduser

How can you practice 12-14 hours a day?

Just saw one x-factor episode where Simon Cowell told some boy(or girl or both) group that "Now you have practice 12-14hours a day"

What the heck? I drop dead after playing 6 hours(not straight) in a day - thats not even half. How much time will it take me to reach a state where i can practice for 12 -14 hours?
Standarduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
Geldin

Exaggeration and assholery on his part more than anything. Long haul practicing like that is a matter of endurance, which gets easier with good posture and having played your instrument a lot. I personally don't see the point of practicing for that long, since there's a lot of tendency to get sloppy when you get fatigued.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
Hail
kill both bass players

your gigs should be 12-14 hours minimum, if you can't play that in one stretch in your rehearsals, you're hopeless
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Shor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standarduser
What the heck? I drop dead after playing 6 hours(not straight) in a day - thats not even half. How much time will it take me to reach a state where i can practice for 12 -14 hours?

I'd say about 6-8 hours.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:02 AM   #5
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor
I'd say about 6-8 hours.

Pfft...you're not trying man

Whoever said assholery above was right. 12-14 hours is an unrealistic expectation
91RG350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
deadsmileyface
this is our party

Dude, i love guitar more than anything, but who has time to play 12-14 hours a day? (except Steve Vai)

I play everyday and it feels awesome when i can get 6-8 hours but with school and a job to go to, its normally like 2-3 hours. Sometimes only 1 if i'm super busy.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Shor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RG350
Pfft...you're not trying man

Whoever said assholery above was right. 12-14 hours is an unrealistic expectation

Actually I was making a poor attempt at a joke...meaning... from 6 hours to 12-14.... it'd take... 6-8h...but now that I explained it, it is even unfunnier
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
kevlinaxe

Quote:
teenaxe Just saw one x-factor episode where Simon Cowell told some boy(or girl or both) group that "Now you have practice 12-14hours a day"

I have a friend doing that. It's pretty intimidating to me as a beginner. I agree it's exagereted and maybe sterile. It's hard for me to make any kind of statement as I don't even have my first guitar and maybe in a year or so I'll be so into it I'll play 12 hours a day as well but I don't know, it seems so extreme. I think my friend told me once he's doing that because he wants to be a "guitar hero" lol what's that
kevlinaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Sleepy__Head
A cornucopia of trivia

Quote:
Just saw one x-factor episode where Simon Cowell told some boy(or girl or both) group that "Now you have practice 12-14hours a day"

Yeah but he's a record producer not a musical mentor, and he's probably talking about doing a 12-hour day of all the things his acts do like dancing practice, singing practice, rehearsing as a band, attending to business, making yourself look presentable for the cameras, &c.

Besides, even if I though he was saying "Now you have to practice your instrument for 12 hours a day" I still wouldn't listen to him because besides playing the piano really badly he doesn't have any apparent musical talent. I'd listen to him if he advised me about the business side of things and I was a pop act. Anything else he has to say though would get directed to dev > null.
Sleepy__Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Geldin

I know I've had stints where I've practiced 12+ hours a day, but that was during the summer when I had nothing else to do and it was mostly isolated incidents where I simply forgot to stop practicing. It's unfeasible to expect to be able to focus well enough to practice for more than 2 hours; doing so for 12 was drop-dead exhausting and left me burned out for days.

[GELDIT]
^
Completely forgot to write the point of all that

There is much more benefit to be gained from brief, consistent practice sessions than from odysseys like that.

The album is streaming here

Last edited by Geldin : 09-17-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Syndromed
French guy

I'm at the conservatory where I learn two instruments: the piano and the guitar.
I have to divide my time total by two, I work 3 hours per day each instrument.
I don't want to practice more than that, because I think it's too much, and I don't want to lose my motivation.

Don't do too much, keep your motivation, and always have fun.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
captainsnazz
#Cool&#Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlinaxe
stuff

Holy shit was that an adbot? The end is nigh

ot: it's called exaggeration

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmyisgod97
Anyone who needs a degree to think their good isn't doing music right, it's like taking a class in being funny.

Ego Sig
captainsnazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #13
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

I think 12 hours is probably too much. I mean it's like exercising with anything. There is a point at which you just have to stop, otherwise you will end up just doing more harm than good.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
strat0blaster
growing out of the snake

Quality, not quantity, with your practice. You can practice poorly every day for five hours and make almost no progress, and you can practice mindfully for one hour every other day and progress quickly. It's all in HOW you do, not how MUCH.

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
show
strat0blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #15
shreddymcshred

Bill Kanengiser, a huge name in classical guitar.
shreddymcshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
whywefight
would you kindly

Acquire this.

No really, it just requires a large amount of dedication. It really is making guitar your full time job.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
theknuckster
me

John Coltrane did a solid 12 hours a day for quite a long time, just because he was such a legend. If you can do it it would be so worth it.
theknuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
whywefight
would you kindly

I knew a guy that put in a solid 8 for the entirety of the time we went to high and middle school together. He's possibly the best guitarist I've ever seen play, and I've seen some high-level bands play that have total shredders for guitarists. He's unbelievable.

However, no one can stand playing in a band with him, because he's really pretentious. Being confident in your playing is one thing, but he's also totally intolerant to other people's music tastes.

He's the reason I picked up guitar, and I haven't talked to him in a year

Last edited by whywefight : 09-17-2012 at 11:37 AM.
whywefight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Standarduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywefight
I knew a guy that put in a solid 8 for the entirety of the time we went to high and middle school together. He's possibly the best guitarist I've ever seen play, and I've seen some high-level bands play that have total shredders for guitarists. He's unbelievable.

However, no one can stand playing in a band with him, because he's really pretentious. Being confident in your playing is one thing, but he's also totally intolerant to other people's music tastes.

He's the reason I picked up guitar, and I haven't talked to him in a year

How many time he played untill he could have the stamina for 8 hours?

and btw: people dont understand the point of this thread. I have the time, i truly do want to make this my profession, i do focus on quality and i see greater improvements-per-hour as i gain more and more experience, and i can take care of my own focus after breaking the 4-6 hours practice session. Even if i cant get anything out of a practice that lasts for 12 hours, at the last 6 hours ill just play for fun, who cares - just get more hours.
Airline pilots, what they do when they start? Flying hours. Doesnt matter if its on a 747, or on a private plane on a model which they will probably never fly again. Just be with the instrument as long as possible.

Last edited by Standarduser : 09-17-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Standarduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #20
91RG350
At least Microsoft cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shor
Actually I was making a poor attempt at a joke...meaning... from 6 hours to 12-14.... it'd take... 6-8h...but now that I explained it, it is even unfunnier

Ahhh sorry man.... I see now... doh...

Dont worry about unfunny..... because when you typed your response it wasnt...it actually was in the realms of mildy amusing /semi funny / at worst quick witted....

...now that ive posted.....its just....

...awkward....

...wish I hadnt replied at all now

ummmm... distraction needed....

MODES!

TS: if you want to do 12 hours...go for it.... the legends all probably did...
91RG350 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: