Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
MadAudioMan

What amp? (no info inside)

Budget : $500

Genres : I don't know, various ones. I suppose that AFI's guitar sound (especially on Art of Drowning and All Hallows EP) would cover most of what I'm looking for though, the cleans and lower/higher gain tones would cover all of what I play.

I fully intend to buy used, I don't believe in new gear.

Home or Gig : I gig with my band several times a month. With the house PA ranging from good, to non-existent. So I would like enough wattage to play unmiced if needed.

Closest City : Portland OR and Salem OR

Current Gear : I have a Tele w/ P90s and an SG w/ humbuckers. Both from Xaviere guitars over at Guitar fetish, I can't recall the model numbers atm. pedal wise, I just have an EQ. nothing fancy.

A combo would be nice, but if I must buy a head than don't take a cab into budget account, I'll just get a cab next paycheck. (though if you do suggest a head, suggesting a cab (2x12 please) would be nice. preferably not avatar as they're ****ing too expensive)
MadAudioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAudioMan
(though if you do suggest a head, suggesting a cab (2x12 please) would be nice. preferably not avatar as they're ****ing too expensive)

Why a 2x12 specifically?

How is Avatar too expensive? Just because it's new?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
MadAudioMan

I enjoy the added low end and volume (compared to a 1x12) and the more comfortable weight and size (compared to a 4x12), at least for gigging.

As for Avatar, I feel their products are too expensive new, and difficult to find used. If I could find a good deal on one I suppose I'd buy it. But new, they're out of the question.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Sorry....remind me what AFI is again? I can't think. Does your budget have to cover the cab? Is there anything at your Guitar Center (so I don't waste looking there)

k tnx

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 09-13-2012 at 09:53 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sorry....remind me what AFI is again? I can't think. Does your budget have to cover the cab? Is there anything at your Guitar Center (do I don't waste looking there)

k tnx

AFI is these guys.

From a quick google search, he used Mesa recs. and Diamond nitroxs, way out of your price point. So I'm gonna recommend generically a 6505+/5150 212 combo, Vypyr Tube 60 or hell even a Laney Ironheart, though if you go that way with the Laney definitely get a speaker/tube swap happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Yeah I was going to play it safe with my standard Vypyr 60 rec

but for shits and giggles there is a Sovtek Mig100, Mesa Studio 22, and Traynor YCV80 on your craigslist but they may not be heavy enough so.....

and a bit over budget

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 09-13-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
MadAudioMan

Quote:
Sorry....remind me what AFI is again? I can't think. Does your budget have to cover the cab? Is there anything at your Guitar Center (do I don't waste looking there)

k tnx

AFI is a punksomethingsomething band. I only listen to a couple of their albums, but I've always loved their guitarist's tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdx...feature=related

well, I guess those don't have any clean parts, but oh well.

I don't know about the GC, and no, my budget doesn't need to cover a cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
AFI is these guys.

From a quick google search, he used Mesa recs. and Diamond nitroxs, way out of your price point. So I'm gonna recommend generically a 6505+/5150 212 combo, Vypyr Tube 60 or hell even a Laney Ironheart, though if you go that way with the Laney definitely get a speaker/tube swap happening.

B52's AT series are supposed to be rather Mesa-esque, right? I know Bugera makes clones of all the metal amps, but I don't remember what their recto clone is (or whether i want to include fireproof clothing in budget)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
MadAudioMan

Quote:
Yeah I was going to play it safe with my standard Vypyr 60 rec

but for shits and giggles there is a Sovtek Mig100, Mesa Studio 22, and Traynor YCV80 on your craigslist but they may not be heavy enough so.....

and a bit over budget

You posted while I was writing my other one :s

that sovtek definitely has some russian swaq going for it, they're supposed to be marshall-y or something, right? I'm pretty sure I've seen them discussed here in cheaper amp threads (I lurk a lot)

I have never heard of traynor though, and the mesa is definitely a little pricey.

about the vypyr, it's part tube, right? if so, does the tube part happen to be the power amp (so you don't get SS poweramp clipping if you crank it)
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #9
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Wouldn't have a clue sorry, never had experience with the B-52s. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Bugeras can sound quite decent, but I don't trust their reliability for shit. So many horror stories and so many breaking down, it's not worth it. Apparently they've fixed the reliability issues, but I still don't trust them. Any amp brand that catches on fire will be stigmatised for a good while, if not forever.

Do you have a chance to try anything at a store?

Quote:
about the vypyr, it's part tube, right? if so, does the tube part happen to be the power amp (so you don't get SS poweramp clipping if you crank it)

It runs 2 6L6GC tubes in the power amp and 1 12AX7 in the pre amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"

Last edited by Eppicurt : 09-13-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:

Precisely.

EDIT: Have you been to Pro Guitar Shop? Depending on your current amp, you could get a boutique pedal from them and be good to go on the clean of whatever amp you have, given it's not a Spider or something.

EDIT2: Just kidding. Your current amp must not be loud enough; just reread the OP. Still go to PGS, though. I love it.

Last edited by bassmastamitch : 09-13-2012 at 09:57 PM.
bassmastamitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #11
MadAudioMan

well that's pretty neat.

as for trying amps, I'm going to go to GC tomorrow to try out whatever 5150 variation they have on display. I don't know what other amps they'll have beside the typical practice amps and marshalls and what not, they aren't too busy and their stock is mostly used and eclectic gear and small SS amps.

Edit: about the vypyr, is it considered "better" than something like a Vetta or Flextone, both of which are sort-of in my budget range.

also, going to check out pro guitar shop asap.

Last edited by MadAudioMan : 09-13-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I always liked the B52 AT heads I've played. I could never figure out the difference between the two OD channels but they have good tone and a nice clean channel. I've read stories about their reliability though.

Bugera - ditto pretty much. Not sure I can trust them either. Their new Infinium line is supposed to be better but I've seen several 'My Bugera Infinium Amp Died' threads. I've documented some of it. Their Mesa clones were introduced about 3 years ago and I have yet to see one. Maybe they are out now...not sure. Otherwise, they have good tone.

Give teh 5150s/6505+ a good test run. Hopefully they have a 6505+112 combo for you to check out. My advice is go early, take your own guitar and and pen/paper to take notes. It really helps when you get home to remember your thoughts. Write down all the used amps they have too. Then report back.

I think the Line 6 Vetta, Flextone and Spider Valve are all decent amps.

I really like my Vypyr 60. As mentioned it has 2 power tubes and 1 12AX7 running as a phase inverter (so it is technically in the power section too). Most of the amp and stompbox effects are analog based, while the FX based effects are digital. It has a headphone jack and USB port. I got mine used at GC last year for $315. Great little amp. Loud as fak but it has a master volume so you can dial it down and it still sounds good.

check
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...36&postcount=15

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1429787

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 09-13-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #13
MadAudioMan

will the peavey combos (vypyr/5150xjfhgfhs) be the kind of amp to benefit greatly from better tubes/speakers? I just called GC and they've got a used 6505 112 and vypyr 60 for $375 and $325. both "heavily blemished", whatever that means. they said they work fine.

if that tickles my fancy I would have enough to upgrade whatever typically needs upgrades in a peavey.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

better tubes and speakers will help just about any amp in the sub $1,000 range.

i personally think the Vypyr 60 has a fine speaker for the job but some replace. I put a JJ in my 12AX7 slot.

The 6505+112 combo is pretty strait forward. Set the onboard EQ to 12 noon. put the preamp gain on say 11 o'clock and the post gain on say 8 am and turn up from there.

For the Vypyr 60 I would take 10 minutes and read up on the manual so you know how to operate it before you get there.....as you could get easily frustrated. Once you figure out the basics though it is very easy to dial in.

You can find the manuals here:
http://peavey.com/products/instampl...itaramps/vypyr/

Blemished usually means it has scuffs on the tolex or cloth or maybe a scratch or small dent. As long as it sounds good - I usually don't worry about that stuff. If it looks like it has been mishandled a lot then maybe back off. I think GC offers some kind of warranty or in-store exchange if you don't like it. You can always put some money down on one via layaway and then go back several times to double check things.

Good luck and let us know,
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
MadAudioMan

Maybe I just played a bad one, but I don't get the hype on the 6505 (and family). The 112 combo I played was pretty fizzy sounding, they let me turn it up pretty loud (master at 7) and it still sounded fizzy and not at all what I'd expect a tube amp to sound like at high volume

the vypyr was very nice though, especially at that price. The rectifier and some of the other dirty presets were great, again I was allowed to play at high volumes, and it didn't have any of the terrible SS clipping you'd expect at 6+ on volume. and it was very loud :s

the cleans on it were spot on, especially the reaaaally clean ones. though I somewhat expected that, I've owned an Ampeg SS140c and a couple less noteworthy SS amps, I thought all of them had good cleans.

I didn't walk out of the store with it because they have a used Vetta 212 combo and B52 AT212 coming in next week. And I'd like to try both of those.

so if anyone has experience with the Vetta (versus a vypyr?) it'd be nice to hear something. most of the clips I've found on youtube sound very nice.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Cool.

Glad you liked the Vypyr. Was it the 60?

I've never played a Vetta. I hear they are really really good though so I think you made the smart decision in waiting. It is always good to play as many things as you can. The B52AT is a cool amp too. I've played the head version several times. It is not a versatile obviously but they do have a good metal and clean tone.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

AFI's guitar tone isn't too complicated, or at least doesn't sound that way. Seeing as you're looking to cover their high gain and clean tones, you basically need a 2 channel amp, maybe seperate EQ for each channel. I'd check Bugera's amps, ideally a used 6262 infinium.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
MadAudioMan

I ended up buying the Vetta and B52 at GC today >__<

I only went in with enough to buy one amps, but after playing them for an hour or two I had to have both. They sound AMAZING in stereo, with the B52 dry and the Vetta w/ effects and what not.

Unfortunately I walked to the store and have work, so I didn't bring them home today. I'll pick them both up when I get paid in a couple days.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #19
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

SWEET DUDE.

A Double NAD.

We'll look forward to seeing that

Rate This Thread: